ADVERTISEMENT

North Georgia YMCA summer camp...

Schools will open, and SOME will immediately go to quarantine. Kids and staff. And it will be very difficult to get subs. Trust me, I am for getting kids in school, but this video makes me a little concerned about transfer of the virus.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BhbIaG6Q7Yg

No one really wants to address that issue. They think everyone will be fine and it’ll just be 1-2 teachers out and everything will be ok. Even if we go back, we won’t be there past October, if that.

Regardless of the protocols in place and regardless how safe you try to make something, you'll never get everyone to agree on what is an acceptable level of risk when it comes to covid. The first time a teacher or student leaves early or fails to report due to cold-like symptoms (which may very well be a cold), the school will have to send a letter home with every student in the school explaining the situation in ambiguous terms in order to protect the medical privacy of the individual. A certain percentage of parents will decide that night their kid isnt going back into the school. It quickly becomes unworkable.

Reactions: Gamecockben1979
For whatever reason they didn’t require the kids to wear masks. They also reported that the kids stayed overnight and that some of the activities included group singing. I’m sorry, but who in the world would think that type of scenario wouldn’t lead to transmission among a group of people.

Regardless of the protocols in place and regardless how safe you try to make something, you'll never get everyone to agree on what is an acceptable level of risk when it comes to covid. The first time a teacher or student leaves early or fails to report due to cold-like symptoms (which may very well be a cold), the school will have to send a letter home with every student in the school explaining the situation in ambiguous terms in order to protect the medical privacy of the individual. A certain percentage of parents will decide that night their kid isnt going back into the school. It quickly becomes unworkable.
Which begs the question... What is the rush to get kids back to school?
If my district spent as much time and attention on training us for remote learning as they have on coming up with processes and protocols for cleaning (multiple staff, multiple times/day), we'd have a good plan for how to begin school safely. Instead, we are "100% open!" and the superintendent is damn proud of it. There is no possible way to socially distance in the school hallway, lunch room, etc. with a full school population, and we'll need to clean every desk between every period. Unmanageable.

BTW... if there were adequate leadership at the top levels, people who believe in science and health instead of ratings and popularity, we could have nipped this thing in the bud in May.

For whatever reason they didn’t require the kids to wear masks. They also reported that the kids stayed overnight and that some of the activities included group singing. I’m sorry, but who in the world would think that type of scenario wouldn’t lead to transmission among a group of people.
Yet the YMCA people said they followed all the safety protocols. A case a CYA in my opinion.
As an older person and a teacher I absolutely don't want schools to open until it's safe. Unfortunately, unless they change their minds, my district is going face to face.

If my district spent as much time and attention on training us for remote learning as they have on coming up with processes and protocols for cleaning (multiple staff, multiple times/day), we'd have a good plan for how to begin school safely. Instead, we are "100% open!" and the superintendent is damn proud of it. There is no possible way to socially distance in the school hallway, lunch room, etc. with a full school population, and we'll need to clean every desk between every period. Unmanageable.

BTW... if there were adequate leadership at the top levels, people who believe in science and health instead of ratings and popularity, we could have nipped this thing in the bud in May.

That’s incredible. My wife’s district has had multiple online meetings About their plan, sent out surveys, etc.

Heard a doctor say the other day that if you look last year at the flu numbers, right before schools were shut down, flu numbers were very high and becoming very concerning. Within a week or so of schools shutting, flu numbers almost completely disappeared and that was even before many things started saying any illness was Covid. He said that schools spread like wildfire any illness you can imagine. Watch what happens once a kid gets a stomach bug. Some schools have to shut down to deep clean after that. Once these kids get there, masks will come off, kids will cough and sneeze out in open and even if a teacher says cover your mouth, it will be to late. Kids will have a mask fall on the floor, and then pick it up and put right over their face. It will be interesting. I think all will be virtual by Halloween if not sooner. Thats why I chose virtual full time for my youngest because consistency is key for kids and having them come to school, then go virtual, then back in school, then virtual, etc. It will hurt the kids more than help. If nothing else, public schools will follow colleges and be full virtual from Thanksgiving break through return in January.

Does anyone really think kids dont get it? Or kids get it and rarely show symptoms?
I often wonder how much of the information that people share is actually what they believe but it doesn’t seem to stop them from sharing.

And this where you get the best herd immunity...
Kudos to those wanting to take one for the team. Since there is no indication yet that this actually would work and there is concern of lingering heart damage among people who had mild to no symptoms jump on out there and start licking stuff to protect your neighbor!

Kudos to those wanting to take one for the team. Since there is no indication yet that this actually would work and there is concern of lingering heart damage among people who had mild to no symptoms jump on out there and start licking stuff to protect your neighbor!

It's time to live our lives without fear... It's part of the risk getting out of bed, going to school or work...

People leave their homes to go to work and end up getting killed either by a car accident on the way to work or home...

You could, God forbid have a school shooting and you don't see your children... You could take a vacation and die over night sleeping at a hotel...

We are willing to risk our lives by doing what we do best... Go to work, go to school, go visit family or go on a vacation...

Are you will to stay home in your bubble and hope there is a cure or vaccine???

As one great man once said...."Life moves pretty fast – if you don’t stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it..."

It's time to live our lives without fear... It's part of the risk getting out of bed, going to school or work...

People leave their homes to go to work and end up getting killed either by a car accident on the way to work or home...

You could, God forbid have a school shooting and you don't see your children... You could take a vacation and die over night sleeping at a hotel...

We are willing to risk our lives by doing what we do best... Go to work, go to school, go visit family or go on a vacation...

Are you will to stay home in your bubble and hope there is a cure or vaccine???

As one great man once said...."Life moves pretty fast – if you don’t stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it..."
You do realize that taking precautions doesn’t mean living in fear? I’m guessing you don’t routinely run red lights or stop signs when you drive. Probably don’t put on a deer costume and run through the woods during hunting season and avoid eating bowls of asbestos for breakfast. By your definition all of that would be living in fear.

What people need to do is simply be smart and take precautions which obviously wasn’t done my the YMCA and I’m sure that a set of the parents who probably knew that these precautions weren’t being taken will now end up suing the YMCA because of it.

I’ve been opposed to the way most of this has been handled but just because the lockdown was dumb doesn’t mean that you should ignore the seriousness of the illness and run around thinking herd immunity is going to save you.

SC already had virtual school and that will clearly be growing. But it also needs to provide a classroom for parents who decide that is best for their children, or else I do not believe South Carolina will be fulfilling its constitutional mandate to provide a minimally adequate education.

The only real question to me is similar to the question that has already existed for some time: do we have enough qualified teachers to meet the enrollment demand? In a year like this, it’s conceivable there may need to be “hazard” pay to maintain sufficient staff.

You do realize that taking precautions doesn’t mean living in fear? I’m guessing you don’t routinely run red lights or stop signs when you drive. Probably don’t put on a deer costume and run through the woods during hunting season and avoid eating bowls of asbestos for breakfast. By your definition all of that would be living in fear.

What people need to do is simply be smart and take precautions which obviously wasn’t done my the YMCA and I’m sure that a set of the parents who probably knew that these precautions weren’t being taken will now end up suing the YMCA because of it.

I’ve been opposed to the way most of this has been handled but just because the lockdown was dumb doesn’t mean that you should ignore the seriousness of the illness and run around thinking herd immunity is going to save you.

I take precautions when I walk out the door everyday and before COVID19...

I don't live in fear, I make each day count and count my lucky stars that I saw a gorgeous women each day...

"People who believe in science and health instead of ratings and popularity"

Do you believe the Director of the CDC is more interested in ratings and popularity than science?

Edit: so ive reread your post a few times and it seems you're talking about politicians? If so, then i agree. ALL of them begin their campaign for reelection as soon as they're elected. Thsts one thing they all seem to have in common.

Last edited:
It's time to live our lives without fear... It's part of the risk getting out of bed, going to school or work......"

I take precautions. I don’t live in fear.

I swim in my pool, I go to the lake, I do a lot of things every day. But I do wear a mask most places like stores and take smart precautions.

I take precautions. I don’t live in fear.

I swim in my pool, I go to the lake, I do a lot of things every day. But I do wear a mask most places like stores and take smart precautions.
Same here. I don't pretend that coronavirus has disappeared.

I take precautions every day. Probably more than most people. That's partly due to my wife who's a little over the top with it. I wear a mask anytime I'm gonna be near people. When I pump gas I use a paper towel to touch the pump nozzle with. I wash my hands often and use sanitizer any time I've touched anything outside of my own home or car. When we return from going anywhere my wife and I have a whole ritual we go through. We take everything out of our pockets and any jewelry we wore and wipe them all down with either alcohol water or lysol. Then she makes me wipe down everything inside the car that we would have touched. And she's already informed me that if/when we return to school in person, (I'm a teacher), when I come home I'm going to have to take my shoes off outside and strip down as soon as I come in the door. Then it's straight to the shower for me. But since I'm in one or more of the high risk categories I'll do it. I don't believe everything the news says about coronavirus, but I do believe it is serious and could kill me. So I'm gonna do whatever I can to try to stay alive. If it's over the top, so be it.

People leave their homes to go to work and end up getting killed either by a car accident on the way to work or home.....

I laugh seeing certain people talk about how they refuse to live in fear. My wife has a church friend that keeps posting on his Facebook that he doesn’t wear a mask because he “won’t ever live in fear.”

the VERY SAME GUY, 3 weeks ago, posted on Facebook pictures of the 2 guns he bought for protection because he was getting nervous. He already had guns for home defense. These were additions to his arsenal.

In reality, The guy is scared to death and lives in fear.

He lives in rural South Carolina and the only chance of him encountering a protester is if they shut down the local Bojangles too early one night.

Reactions: HI Cock and Dizzy01
Yet the YMCA people said they followed all the safety protocols. A case a CYA in my opinion.
As an older person and a teacher I absolutely don't want schools to open until it's safe. Unfortunately, unless they change their minds, my district is going face to face.

They followed the Ga rules which are not very strict or demanding. Mask wearing is not required (see the governor suing Atlanta mayor) and very few real requirements. Easy to say they followed Ga rules and not do much to protect the kids.

Reactions: Dizzy01
"People who believe in science and health instead of ratings and popularity"

Do you believe the Director of the CDC is more interested in ratings and popularity than science?

Edit: so ive reread your post a few times and it seems you're talking about politicians? If so, then i agree. ALL of them begin their campaign for reelection as soon as they're elected. Thsts one thing they all seem to have in common.

The current head of the CDC is a political appointee and not a scientist.

I posted this video. I am concerned. My wife is a school teacher, and my daughter is also a teacher who is currently living at home right now.
My parents who are in there mid 70’s have expressed their concern about getting together once school starts. They live about 3 miles away, and we have done Sunday dinners together for years.
This whole thing sucks! F China,

I posted this video. I am concerned. My wife is a school teacher, and my daughter is also a teacher who is currently living at home right now.
My parents who are in there mid 70’s have expressed their concern about getting together once school starts. They live about 3 miles away, and we have done Sunday dinners together for years.
This whole thing sucks! F China,
It's way beyond F China. Sorry, but what's happening here was preventable, with leadership.

Reactions: Legendary Cock
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT