ADVERTISEMENT

Notes and observations from Saturday's baseball scrimmage: Cody Morris returns

C

Collyn Taylor

This was very pitcher heavy and included four of the five candidates to fill the weekend rotation spots: Logan Chapman, Ridge Chapman, Carmen Mlodzinski and Cody Morris.

Saturday was Morris's first appearance of the preseason and he looked pretty good after some mild tendinitis that kept him out last week. He was up to 96 miles per hour on his fastball but sat mostly 94-95. He also showed a pretty good changeup as well, and he told me at media day those two are plus pitches for him.

Right now, Morris is in the mix for a Saturday/Sunday starter spot but he's also being considered for the closer role as well. Him throwing 96 on a cold day must mean he could hit upwards of 97-98 when it gets warmer and he could be very viable at the end of games.

--One of the guys who looked really good in that "starting" spot was Ridge Chapman, who threw three scoreless innings to start the scrimmage. He was up to about 93 on his fastball and showcased a pretty box-to-box slider as well with good break. I think there's a legitimate case for him to be on the weekend rotation for the first part of the season.

--Logan Chapman, who got roughed up in his first outing this spring, responded pretty well in outing No. 2. He was really on with his fastball and his only blemish came in the first inning, giving up a no-doubter home run to Carlos Cortes. After that he threw pretty well and was in the low 90s with his fastball.

--Mlodzinski was one the last guys to pitch, throwing three innings to close out the scrimmage. He was up to 93 miles per hour on his fastball and pitched pretty effectively. He got a lot of flyball and groundball outs.

--Other than Cortes, Jacob Olson had a pretty good day and the plate and TJ Hopkins hit a few balls hard as well. Both have taken big leaps forward this offseason and should be key cogs near the top of the lineup this spring. Both hit second for their respective teams Saturday. I could see there being a lineup with Olson in the two-hole and Hopkins hitting cleanup.

--Riley Hogan, who's a candidate for the first base job, played a little bit of right field Saturday. Justin Row was at shortstop and LT Tolbert repped some at second base.

--Noah Campbell still continues to really impress me every time I watch him. He's wicked fast and can draw a lot of walks as a leadoff man. He gets on base, which is something Mark Kingston and his staff put a very high emphasis on. He also executed a perfect bunt late in the scrimmage that just rolled foul right before the third base bag.

--Other pitchers who threw Saturday: Graham Lawson, Gage Hinson, Wilson Beattie and Hunter Lomas. Hinson gave up two runs in two innings and was knocked around a little. Lomas also gave up a run but got a few effective outs. He's a submarine pitcher, so his arm angle makes it hard for hitters to pick up the ball.

Lawson, who missed the fall with some arm soreness, was up to about 90-91 miles per hour. He struggled with command some, loading the bases on walks and walking in a run. He also is in the conversation for that closer role.

--Beattie left the game early after holding his shoulder. We don't get to talk to Kingston until Monday, so we'll update that more when he talks to the media.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.