ADVERTISEMENT

O/T.....visiting Paris in May....looking for advice please

Last time I was in Paris (2005) I spent a day in jail for a minor traffic violation so my advice is don't drive an auto while there. I lived in France for 7 years and speak the language but that did not help.
French law has no such thing as habeas corpus...one among a number of bad aspects of latin countries.
That goes back to the Roman Empire.

I have been to Paris 6 or 7 times and enjoyed every trip. We usually stay at the Westin Vendomme, which is a nice hotel down the street from the Louvre. Paris is a noisy city, but most big cities are. I never experienced rude treatment from Parisians and certainly not from French citizens in smaller towns.

I haven't read all of the replies, bit in general, I avoid the higher end Michelin rated restaurants and go with local brasseries and never had a bad meal. Of course hit the Louvre and other major museums along with Notre Dame. I did the Eiffel Tower once and didn't think the wait was worth it. By all means read up on the history of what you are seeing well before you go, so you aren't just checking a tourist box.

The Versailles Palace is worth a short train ride and Biltmore House exquisite. A couple of other interesting places is the Catacombs, where 6 million Parisian skeletons are buried under the streets in abandoned quarries. It's an interesting story and the tour doesn't take very long. Another is Père Lachaise Cemetery. Jim Morrison of The Doors died in Paris and is buried there and his grave is the most visited. My daughter likes music of my generation and wanted to see that. Chopin and other historical figures are also buried there.

On one of our trips we did four nights in Paris and four in the Normandy region. If you have time, a visit to the Normandy battlefields and the American Cemetery will bring tears to your eyes. If you get to Pont du Hoc where the Army Rangers scaled the cliffs with German soldiers shooting down on them, you will wonder how they ever made it.

The Normandy region hotels are smaller privately owned rather than chains. Some have AC and some don't, but we didn't have a problem. Mid-summer could be an issue though. Again, we never had a bad meal here either. There is a good WWII museum in the city of Caen in the Normandy area if you are into WWII.

The South of France is also awesome in a different way, but you only have time for so much. With all of that said, my favorite country in Europe is Italy, with France a close second. Have a great time!

I'm actually going in May as well. Definitely doing Paris, but also considering either Bordeaux or somewhere on the Riviera..

Which should I choose?

I'm actually going in May as well. Definitely doing Paris, but also considering either Bordeaux or somewhere on the Riviera..

Which should I choose?

I just got back from Nice and spent some time in Bordeaux, stopping in at Avignon. I found all to be enjoyable. Lots of good restaurants in Nice as well as the surrounding area. Not just hamburgers, I can assure you. Lyon was our last night, it was fine too. Pelforth was my favorite draft beer in the area!

Reactions: Art__Vandelay
Opie, wherever you are, stop every fifteen minutes & sing the national anthem with all your might.

"The Catacombs" are worth a visit. Eerie and bit morbid ...but fascinating. A day trip out to Monet's home called "Giverny" is interesting and should be gorgeous in May. And of course, "Versailles" is spectacular.

Which should I choose?
There is a hotel with restaurant on top of one of the higher peaks above Monte Carlo. The views of the Riviera and the Med are spectacular. You must park a little bit below the summit but is not a hard climb. Provisions for the hotel and restaurant used to come by donkey when I used to stay there many moons ago so things may have changed. The name of the little place is Ezes Villages and it is not cheap but is memorable.

Reactions: Art__Vandelay
Dogs sitting at tables in restaurants. Lots and lots of burqa’s.
You won't see dogs and burqas in the same restaurant as most devout Muslims consider dogs to be haram, or unclean. Even way back in the 80s when my wife and I lived in Paris devout taxi drivers would not permit my wife in the taxi with her Scottish terrier. I often wonder how things are working in Belgium these days as the Belgians love their dogs and in the recent past you saw dogs everywhere...in the finest restaurants sitting in a chair..and pooping all over the sidewalks.

Dont forget to wear a tshirt that reminds the Parisians everyday that they are lucky not to be speaking German.

the-unbelievable-story-behind-the-back-to-back-world-war-champs-tank-top.jpg
Be prepared to have one of them respond that you’re lucky to not be speaking the Queen’s English.

The U.S. State Department just issued a Level 2 travel advisory to Paris. Be careful.

Be prepared to have one of them respond that you’re lucky to not be speaking the Queen’s English.
Actually in SC, we still speak the closest to Queen's English than the rest of the original colonies.
But yes, my father's side of the family has my maternal grandfather's side of the family to thank for the fact they are no longer citizens of the Crown.

Actually in SC, we still speak the closest to Queen's English than the rest of the original colonies.
But yes, my father's side of the family has my maternal grandfather's side of the family to thank for the fact they are no longer citizens of the Crown.
You and Roderick whiffed like hell on this.

You and Roderick whiffed like hell on this.
I knew exactly what you meant, hence my statement about my family. I'm of French descent. The Marquis de Lafayette is an ancestor.

The first part was simply making a statement that regardless of the outcome of the Revolutionary War, it has been reported many times that we in SC still speak the closest to Queen's English.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT