ADVERTISEMENT

Still Think Paris Is Coaching Street Ball?

adcoop

Jan 10, 2004
Used to get into it with several posters that were talking about Paris coaching street ball after every loss last year. I knew then they knew nothing about Paris’ background with Bo Ryan. Was that street ball on those side out plays where he exposed one of the top coaches in the country repeatedly? Was it street ball when our guys repeatedly got back on defense and ground a Kentucky offense averaging 91 points to a halt. I put out little hints about this team back in the summer. I didn’t want to go out on a limb because of how last year went, but I felt good. Just so happy for the guys and Coach Paris. Maybe they can get some attention for what they are doing now.

Last edited:
If I said I didn't have my doubts about hiring Paris I would be lying but I assumed the attitude I always do "wait and see". This guy is obviously a very good game day coach to take players who haven't played together before and make a real team out of them. When you have 20 assists on 29 made baskets you know that these players are playing for the best shot. That has been a consistent thing all year. Beating UK is always a big deal and all but shutting down the big kid was huge. Go Cocks!

Kentucky beats you on talent, and rarely, if ever, by out-coaching or out-scheming an opponent. Everybody knows that. Kentucky had superior talent tonight, but it takes more than that. It takes both talent and coaching and team chemistry and motivation and effort …. Etc. Hats off to our coach. I thought he did a good job last year with what was handed to him and as late as he got in. Now he’s off and running.

Reactions: uscwatson21
Used to get into it with several posters that were talking about Paris coaching street ball after every loss last year. I knew then they knew nothing about Paris’ background with Bo Ryan. Was that street ball on those side out plays where he exposed one of the top coaches in the country repeatedly? Was it street ball when our guys repeatedly got back on defense and ground a Kentucky offense averaging 91 points to a halt. I put out little hints about this team back in the summer. I didn’t want to go out on a limb because of how last year went, but I felt good. Just so happy for the guys and Coach Paris. Maybe they can get some attention for what they are doing now.
Sorta funny I saw this thread because tonight, Paris essentially admitted to letting his team do whatever they want on the offensive side of the ball with a few called plays sprinkled in but really putting his time in to coaching defensive principles. Whatever he is doing keep it up!

Reactions: hahnenkampf
Kentucky beats you on talent, and rarely, if ever, by out-coaching or out-scheming an opponent. Everybody knows that. Kentucky had superior talent tonight, but it takes more than that. It takes both talent and coaching and team chemistry and motivation and effort …. Etc. Hats off to our coach. I thought he did a good job last year with what was handed to him and as late as he got in. Now he’s off and running.
They did hit some Krazy threes, that will not happen on a regular basis, let’s hope coach knows that and reels them in a bit. Great freaking win, keep it up, I being a skeptic, am getting on board!!

I do think it’s kind of ironic people see it as street ball. We actually play at one of the slowest paces on offense in the country. That frustrates a lot of opponents that want to get in a running game like Kentucky. It also helps our defense because we’re not on defense as long, but man we play defense hard and don’t allow teams to run.

You can tell this is actually very influenced by Bo Ryan from Lamont’s days of coaching at Wisconsin and no one would ever label that street ball.

We actually play at one of the slowest paces on offense in the country. That frustrates a lot of opponents that want to get in a running game like Kentucky.
That is what kept UK off guard. They forced a lot of turnovers in the first half, but in the 2nd half we passed the ball even better and messed them all up. Like our players stated, they are "family" out there and they "share". They do not get in a hurry. They just look for the open player. That is why Lamont lets them play like that. He doesn't have to intervene. Look at the time clock, most of the night we are down to the last 10 seconds. Yes, we ran out of time twice early in the game, but they adjusted just enough there to still keep it slow but make the shots.

Reactions: Gamecockben1979
Would like to know how and if he used those comments by the UK staffer as motivation.

That is what kept UK off guard. They forced a lot of turnovers in the first half, but in the 2nd half we passed the ball even better and messed them all up. Like our players stated, they are "family" out there and they "share". They do not get in a hurry. They just look for the open player. That is why Lamont lets them play like that. He doesn't have to intervene. Look at the time clock, most of the night we are down to the last 10 seconds. Yes, we ran out of time twice early in the game, but they adjusted just enough there to still keep it slow but make the shots.
I agree the pace frustrated UK. Definitely not knocking the style just saying usually “streetball” labels are for teams that run up and down the court and take quick shots. If people really watch this team that’s not what we’re doing at all. We run when it’s there but we are very intentional and work the shot clock.

I am not surprised at the success Paris is having. At his prior Head Coach job at Chattanooga, his team's overall record and conference record (or standing) improved each season he was there. And prior to becoming Head Coach, he was an assistant to and mentored by Bo Ryan at Wisconsin. If you ever have a chance, google Bo Ryan to see what a very successful Head Coach he was mentored by.

Bo Ryan once said “Give me 5 guys that will screen and we’ll beat anybody.”

Until you run into modern day refs. We were fortunate they allowed the teams the play through contact last night. Another group with a different approach could have totally swung the game with UK eating us up at the line.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT