ADVERTISEMENT

Observations, notes from the second weekend of baseball scrimmages

C

Collyn Taylor

--I wasn't able to go to Friday's scrimmage. Was in Rock Hill talk to Brandon Stone and DJ Burns for this story. I did hear from people that Adam Hill looked incredibly impressive, striking out half of the 14 batters he faced. He's throwing a curveball with a little more confidence and really wants to work that into his arsenal more.
--Saturday's scrimmage report is here. Cody Morris looked really good in his outing. He was up to 96 miles an hour on his fastball and sat around 80-82 on his changeup. He's still in the conversation for one of the starting spots and the closer role.

As for Monday:
--It was incredibly hitter-friendly with 10 extra base hits and three home runs. Jonah Bride launched one to the seats in left, and it was a no-doubter as soon as it left the bat.

--There were more that could have gotten down for hits but the defense played some good ball. I've been impressed more so this season with Carlos Cortes's play in left field. He seems quicker out there and has worked on his glove work.

--Eddy Demurias has really impressed as well. He's up to 92 miles per hour on a good fastball with good location and has a 82 mile per hour slider. The former Florida pitcher who went to a JUCO last year before coming to Columbia is pitching his way into some serious innings this year. He's definitely in competition for the closer spot and a few long relief innings.

--Riley Hogan had a few hard-hit balls in Monday's scrimmage, finishing with two hits and a run. He's played a little right field in scrimmages and is still a candidate for the first base job. Still a lot of work to go there, but I could see him playing spot innings there and having time at DH. LT Tolbert, Matt Williams and Jordan Holladay are still competing there as well.

--John Gilreath and Hunter Lomas still look like guys that can contribute out of the bullpen. Corey Stone, one of the only other lefties on the team, had a nice outing, pitching a scoreless inning and pitching around a walk. Carmen Mlodzinski was up to 91-92 mph on his fastball as well in his outing Saturday.

--TJ Shook also got three innings of work, which has been reserved for pitchers competing for starting spots this year. I'm not sure what the plan is for him, but I wouldn't be shocked if he got a few midweek starts or middle relief innings. He can effectively throw a curveball and slider for strikes.

--Noah Campbell continues to impress and makes me think he'll easily be in the starting lineup come opening day at second base. He just seems like a natural leadoff hitter.

Last edited by a moderator:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.