ADVERTISEMENT

Ohio State going rogue? Wants to play this Fall?

BattleshipTexas

Oct 15, 2001
According to Clay Travis, Ohio St is trying to get 5 other B1G teams to play a home and home, round-robin with each other. Trying to get Michigan, Penn St, Wisconsin to go along with Nebraska and Iowa. Clay Travis is nationwide Fox Sports Radio and appears on FS1's daily sports gambling show Fox Bet Live. He quotes Jeff Snook who covers Oho State.

I can't see it. If they pull it off, league leadership will be reduced to nothing. Pressure will be on schools not to go along. Then again, if they play, the B1G will want money from an enterprise they haven't even supported. It will get nasty. Makes me hope it happens.
Oh that will be quite contentious. Nebraska doesn't have pull. OSU will become an independent or will be to the B1G as Texas is to the Big XII if they aren't given the boot.

Reactions: F-86F
Oh that will be quite contentious. Nebraska doesn't have pull. OSU will become an independent or will be to the B1G as Texas is to the Big XII if they aren't given the boot.
Ohio State is a historical football juggernaut and a premier state university. They won't be getting the boot. And with exit fees being what they are and B1G money being what it has been, schools won't be leaving the conference, either, as several left the Big 12 because of Texas.

The BigTen would be crazy to boot Ohio State. No way Michigan votes for that. they already appear to have Iowa, Nebraska, and Penn State feeling like them. It looks like a matter of convincing a couple of more schools to join them. Which may or may not happen.

Reactions: Brace1
Ohio State is a historical football juggernaut and a premier state university. They won't be getting the boot. And with exit fees being what they are and B1G money being what it has been, schools won't be leaving the conference, either, as several left the Big 12 because of Texas.

That's all Nebraska needs: leaving one conference because of a bully only to join another with one.

Reactions: F-86F and king ward
Big 10 ain’t the sec. they can take all of Ohio States tv revenue for a few years boot them and not play them. Where does Ohio state go then to the MAC. Big 10 has rules to penalize where SEC says you want to be here fine you wanna leave that’s fine no penalties. Ohio state can’t go Indy. They don’t have the nationwide base of say Notre Dame. I can see Saturday’s in Columbus where they play wake forest or Akron or Kansas and no big ten. Their fan base would go ballistic

Big 10 ain’t the sec. they can take all of Ohio States tv revenue for a few years boot them and not play them. Where does Ohio state go then to the MAC. Big 10 has rules to penalize where SEC says you want to be here fine you wanna leave that’s fine no penalties. Ohio state can’t go Indy. They don’t have the nationwide base of say Notre Dame. I can see Saturday’s in Columbus where they play wake forest or Akron or Kansas and no big ten. Their fan base would go ballistic

I think you are overstating the Big10's leverage. For one thing, the TV contracts that give the Big10 so much are heavily dependent on Ohio state games and the Ohio State-Michigan game. I can't imagine any other conference wouldn't jump at the chance to grab a high profile team like Ohio State. I wouldn't be surprised if the ACC, SEC and Big12 all would accept them.

Anyway, what Ohio State is proposing, is not leaving. They want Penn State, Iowa, Wisconsin, Ohio State, Michigan, and Nebraska to all play a round robin tournament this Fall, each having a home and home with the other five. You really think the BIgTen can penalize all six teams and expel them? So far they appear to have buy in on 4 of th 6 teams, just needing Michigan and Wisconsin to get onboard.

Last edited:
Reactions: Brace1
So the actual plan for Spring ball is indoors? That is what Dave Biddle says. I can't believe anyone thinks that will work or is healthier. Indoors in January is the supposed Big10 plan.

Hope it works. I'd hate to see some of these schools sitting around while the rest of college football plays.

If The BIG was stupid enough to boot them, the SEC or ACC would welcome them with open arms, immediately. That's if the Big 12 didn't beat them to it.

According to Clay Travis, Ohio St is trying to get 5 other B1G teams to play a home and home, round-robin with each other. Trying to get Michigan, Penn St, Wisconsin to go along with Nebraska and Iowa. Clay Travis is nationwide Fox Sports Radio and appears on FS1's daily sports gambling show Fox Bet Live. He quotes Jeff Snook who covers Oho State.

To paraphrase the Shark, “the NCAA is so mad @ OSU, they just put Ohio U on 2 yrs probation.”

Maybe the Big 10 and PAC 12 can do virtual zoom games... This is the only game Muschamp can't loss, unless he wins the coin toss and defer to the second half...

People are forgetting that even if they pulled this off, they would be required to play in the spring when the B10 conference sactioned season is scheduled to take place. No way they could have b2b seasons.

Can't you say the same thing about the BigTen? How are they going to have two seasons in 2021, one in the Spring and one the following Fall? I doubt Spring ball ever happens. Especially if six of the teams have already played a season. Ohio State potentially with a national championship trophy, they would likely go: "we'll show up, our third teamers can get some good scrimmage time in, but this isn't a real season, I have a trophy to prove it isn't."

What’s to stop a team in the spring claiming they won the National title. I mean Alabama has claimed all of em now right?

The NCAA does not have a national champion in suv 1 college football. They have a championship series with differing polls picking the winner at the end. So could name the spring winner the natty. Plus your assuming the bowls occur. I doubt it. Even if they cobble together a seas

What’s to stop a team in the spring claiming they won the National title. I mean Alabama has claimed all of em now right?

Texas A&M fans once wanted to claim their Spring game as a win and were laughed at for years. The Big10 can claim whatevcer they want but no one will take them seriously. The AP and UPI winners will be named at the usual times.

The NCAA does not have a national champion in suv 1 college football. They have a championship series with differing polls picking the winner at the end. So could name the spring winner the natty. Plus your assuming the bowls occur. I doubt it. Even if they cobble together a seas

Certainly there will be fewer bowls and probably no Rose Bowl. But if the Big12, SEC and ACC actually have seasons, there will certainly be bowl games. Not 30 or whatever the number was last year, but close to a dozen. I know the Cotton Bowl Association plans on playing barring nuclear war, they don't get TV money otherwise. I expect Sugar, Orange, Sun, Fiesta etc to follow suit. Lots of marginal bowls may drop. I expect the AP and UPI polls, the ones that matter will pick champions on their usual time schedule, releasing winners before the spring season is played.

o_O o_O

Can't you say the same thing about the BigTen? How are they going to have two seasons in 2021, one in the Spring and one the following Fall? I doubt Spring ball ever happens. Especially if six of the teams have already played a season. Ohio State potentially with a national championship trophy, they would likely go: "we'll show up, our third teamers can get some good scrimmage time in, but this isn't a real season, I have a trophy to prove it isn't."
My prediction is that there will be no sports until fall 2022 at the earliest. Just following the Spanish Flu trail from 1918-1919. And I do think it's reasonable to compare.

Now if schools really are going to have students on campus, then maybe tennis (singles only) and golf can play since it's relatively easy to social distance.

My prediction is that there will be no sports until fall 2022 at the earliest. Just following the Spanish Flu trail from 1918-1919. And I do think it's reasonable to compare.

Now if schools really are going to have students on campus, then maybe tennis (singles only) and golf can play since it's relatively easy to social distance.

Well, I would note that the Texas Longhorns football record was 9-0 in 1918 and 6-3 in 1919, all during the Spanish flu. I hope we have as good a season this year. South Carolina Gamecocks were 1-7-1 in 1919. So it is reasonable to compare, right? Following the Spanish flu trail? If students, including football playing students, are on campus, I can't imagine there won't be football too. If everyone is sent home, that would be different.

Well, I would note that the Texas Longhorns football record was 9-0 in 1918 and 6-3 in 1919, all during the Spanish flu. I hope we have as good a season this year. South Carolina Gamecocks were 1-7-1 in 1919. So it is reasonable to compare, right? Following the Spanish flu trail? If students, including football playing students, are on campus, I can't imagine there won't be football too. If everyone is sent home, that would be different.
Following the trail in that it took a couple of years to subside. Too many people are as careless today as they were 102 years ago.

Certainly there will be fewer bowls and probably no Rose Bowl. But if the Big12, SEC and ACC actually have seasons, there will certainly be bowl games. Not 30 or whatever the number was last year, but close to a dozen. I know the Cotton Bowl Association plans on playing barring nuclear war, they don't get TV money otherwise. I expect Sugar, Orange, Sun, Fiesta etc to follow suit. Lots of marginal bowls may drop. I expect the AP and UPI polls, the ones that matter will pick champions on their usual time schedule, releasing winners before the spring season is played.
The Bowl question is an interesting situation. It will be up to the host city to determine if a bowl game will be played. If the current numbers of cases fail to decline, or worse remain or even increase, it's hard to imagine city officials deciding to have several thousand people descend on their city, risking a spike in numbers.

The Bowl question is an interesting situation. It will be up to the host city to determine if a bowl game will be played. If the current numbers of cases fail to decline, or worse remain or even increase, it's hard to imagine city officials deciding to have several thousand people descend on their city, risking a spike in numbers.

i disagree it is up to the host city. I have been involved quite a bit with the Cotton Bowl Athletic Association and know some of those guys. The Association determines whether the bowl will be played and where. If the city of Dallas says it can't be played in the Cotton Bowl stadium, they can move it to the city of Arlington to Jerryworld. In fact, it has been played in Jerryworld in Arlington the last ten years. So it could be played in Dallas or Arlington or if those cities balk move it to TCU's stadium in the city of Fort Worth or one of the massive high school stadiums in the city of Plano, the city of Frisco or the city of Allen Texas and its 60 million dollar stadium recently completed. Since this year crowds will be limited, the main reason to play is TV. All of those stadiums have excellent TV ready stadiums. A city may stop it from being played in the city, but for at least the Cotton Bowl, city officials won't really be the deciders on whether the bowl game is played or not. It will just be moved by the Cotton Bowl Athletic Association elsewhere if they balk. If there is a season by the SEC, Big 12 and ACC, you have about a 100% chance the Cotton Bowl gets played. If there is not a season, of course, it won't be. I can't speak for other bowls, many other bowls may not have the flexibility that the Cotton Bowl Athletic Association has in picking its bowl sites. But if the city of New Orleans doesn't want the Sugar Bowl, I don't see why it can't be played in Tiger Stadium in Baton Rouge, which will have had five or so games played there already by LSU.

Reactions: adversary2
While we apparently disagree on whether or not there should be football this fall (and next), we do agree on the consistency that there should be no athletics if only athletes are on campus.

Peace.

.... we do agree on the consistency that there should be no athletics if only athletes are on campus.

I've seen this a lot, and used to agree, but I've come to believe it less and less. I'm not sure it would be so terrible to continue with athletes if everyone else learns remotely.

Reactions: king ward
While we apparently disagree on whether or not there should be football this fall (and next), we do agree on the consistency that there should be no athletics if only athletes are on campus.

Peace.

I would assume if a college administration sends the students home, it will send them all home including players. I guess a football centric school could do it differently, but I agree that would be wrong to do. If all the students are there anyway, the student players might as well play football and save their athletic departments.

This is a good discussion. These are also unusual times. I hope we never see their like again. In light of the peculiarity of the current situation, I've come to believe that it isn't imperative to link playing football to having the entire student body on campus.

Reactions: Zann77

If they pull it off they would probably have to use MAC conference refs since Big 10 refs would in my estimate get fired by their conference.

If they pull it off they would probably have to use MAC conference refs since Big 10 refs would in my estimate get fired by their conference.

While perhaps an inconvenience, given the money at stake, games aren't going to be stopped or prevented due to a lack of refs.

As for being fired, I don't think the college refs are employees. My understanding is that if the season doesn't get played, refs don't get paid. The NFL made refs full time employees several decades ago. College refs aren't regular employees, they are contractors paid per game.

" ... college officials are making $2,500 or $3,000 per game, but also paying for their own travel expenses out of pocket. After taxes and expenses, a college official is likely to pocket something like $15,000 per year. "

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sec-football/college-officiating-needs-fixed-insiders-say/

If no sports until 2022, I wonder how college sports will survive? It would be vastly different I would think. I hope this doesn't play out to your scenario. However, who really knows?

While perhaps an inconvenience, given the money at stake, games aren't going to be stopped or prevented due to a lack of refs.

As for being fired, I don't think the college refs are employees. My understanding is that if the season doesn't get played, refs don't get paid. The NFL made refs full time employees several decades ago. College refs aren't regular employees, they are contractors paid per game.

" ... college officials are making $2,500 or $3,000 per game, but also paying for their own travel expenses out of pocket. After taxes and expenses, a college official is likely to pocket something like $15,000 per year. "

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sec-football/college-officiating-needs-fixed-insiders-say/
That's all well and good, but those refs aren't about to shit where they eat and blow off the guys who have been hiring them to work games. They wouldn't alienate the B1G to appease OSU unless they had some guarantees, I'm sure.

That's all well and good, but those refs aren't about to shit where they eat and blow off the guys who have been hiring them to work games. They wouldn't alienate the B1G to appease OSU unless they had some guarantees, I'm sure.

Since with no season they won't get paid anyway, I doubt they care as much about conference desires as you think they do. Money in hand counts a lot more than money down the road. But whether them or someone else, a lack of refs isn't going to stop these games.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
If no sports until 2022, I wonder how college sports will survive? It would be vastly different I would think. I hope this doesn't play out to your scenario. However, who really knows?

A lot of athletic departments are bankrupted. Sure some of the giant schools with huge alumni bases keep them alive with donations. But the typical mid-level school has its athletic dept just crater without TV revenue. That hurts women's softball, volleyball, etc and men's tennis, golf, baseball, etc. It impacts lives. That has to be a part of any analysis.

Since with no season they won't get paid anyway, I doubt they care as much about conference desires as you think they do. Money in hand counts a lot more than money down the road. But whether them or someone else, a lack of refs isn't going to stop these games.
I agree lack of refs won't stop the games, but it won't be the B1G's best crews out their either. Money in hand is good, but intelligent people won't flush the prospect of future cooperation down the drain to get paid today, unless they're starving right now, that is.

I still.wonder if the big10 will really hold it against the refs and/or teams who participate. I have to wonder if half the conference leadership won't smile, nod and understand the situation.

I agree lack of refs won't stop the games, but it won't be the B1G's best crews out their either. Money in hand is good, but intelligent people won't flush the prospect of future cooperation down the drain to get paid today, unless they're starving right now, that is.

A lot of good Pac-10 refs without jobs too. You aren't suggesting the Pac-10 would punish their refs for refing psuedo-Big10 games when they are out of work with no Pac-10 games to ref, are you?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT