ADVERTISEMENT

Ohio State Pledge... Bad Lawyers, Bad Ideas

fowl_mood

Gold Member
Oct 28, 1998
Why would an AD even suggest trying to make an athlete do anything in this environment? It clearly was for liability reasons, but they tried to couch it as a pledge. He should have known better.

Release from liability clauses and waivers as part of legal agreements are squarely in the target for the left. Trial lawyers are salivating.

Nice try Ohio State Sports Administration. But honestly, get some real attorneys who know you could not have carried the day on this one. Even if it sticks, the smell will be in you for awhile afterwards. And, you have probably added one more hit to the hammer on the nail for college football to crank up this year. The NCAA approvalof pre season scheduling is wishful thinking.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/29311945/ohio-state-football-players-parents-asked-sign-covid-19-risk-waiver?platform=amp

Last edited:
Smith said the waiver is intended more for educational purposes than it is for liability.
"That's why we call it a pledge," he said. "We don't look at that as a legal document.”

Dear God, please just stop lying to us and your players!!

Reactions: Gaimcock
Smith said the waiver is intended more for educational purposes than it is for liability.
"That's why we call it a pledge," he said. "We don't look at that as a legal document.”

Dear God, please just stop lying to us and your players!!
We don't look at it as a legal document... until it can benefit us legally to do so.

I didn’t notice any liability waiver language quoted in the article. I think this might have been a case of a misleading headline.

What it seemed to be geared at is getting players to agree to taking protective measures that the COVID warriors would have been upset if they didn’t do anyway. It does include dismissal as a possible punishment, but I would think that is just to try to get people to take it seriously as I doubt Ohio State will be kicking out its 4 and 5 star players over this stuff. They probably have similar code of conduct policies already, just not addressing the “novel” coronavirus specifically.

No waiver, pledge, or "legal" document regarding Coronavirus is worth the ink used to draft it. No one can possibly know when or how a person contracts a virus. We live in bazaaro world....

Reactions: Expro19
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT