ADVERTISEMENT

OK, how good is Wofford?

Uh clempson does play wufford, scstate, elcid..
They usually game plan for the option teams pretty well.. veggitables seems to have a knack for that
Also, it's a little different for clem. They already know they have to play GT every season, so they *have* to be able to deal with an option attack. Since they already have to do it, adding another one to the schedule isn't like some anomaly.

Reactions: boatingsportscock
Gamecocks have a lot of major players banged up.without them it may get ugly,with them they may get hurt worst and unable to go against the dancing dabos. Not an ideal situation

Will we score more than 30 on them? That's the real question.
As well as my aging memory remembers, we haven't yet in several games with Wofford over the past 12 years or so_Oh I forgot, a 38-14 win in the year 2001 when Wofford did not have their star qb playing due to an injury.

Most of you guys sound like a bunch of babies....go out and line up and beat them....its not too complicated

Given the fact of how SC seems to wins games closely regardless of the qaulity of the opponent it will be nail biting close. SC 24 Wofford 21.

Another thing. Don't put them on the schedule again. It's stupid to put these option teams on a schedule. You spend 3 quarters trying to figure how the crap to stop it and the 4th sweating and clawing just to get a W. Then everyone laughs that you barely scraped by a small School. Absolutely 0 benefit.

There are other in-state schools that don't run the triple option. SC State, Coastal, Presbyterian, Furman, and I'm sure a couple others. Yes, keeping the money in-state and helping those schools out is a good thing, but for Pete's sake we should stay away from those option teams. Jmo.
We open with Coastal next year. Arkansas beat Coastal 39-38

We finally put Charleston Southern on the schedule. When are we going to throw a little money Presbyterians way?

They run the ball a lot and throw I little bit even on 3rd and 15. They are knee choppers in that offense. Defense is better against run than pass cause they see run all week in practice. Good field goal kicker though so game will be closer than many want but believe Cocks win by 17. Funny thing about Wofford is they have no band so our DJ and band got it all to themselves.

No band? Their home games must be awfully boring.

Ga Tech does it the entire game and never gets called for it

Georgia Tech (and all other option teams, for that matter) don't chop block. They cut block, which is legal. And believe it or not, a lot of teams cut block on the back sides of plays - you just don't look for it. Option blocking isn't fun to go up against, but don't conflate it with being dirty.

Ok I got a couple of recent Wofford football grads in family and at work. They loved the thrill of playing at Carolina stadium so Wofford won't have any problem getting up for this type game. Carolina needs to come out on defense and just blow up the option taking out QB and pitchman. If they beat us with fullback then we got a linebacker problem that I haven't seen this year with Brunson and Skai. We can score passing with our tall receivers against short DBs so Wofford will have to throw to make game of it which Ayers hates and I mean hates to do.Thats my Cents anyway. They have thrown more this year but their QB hasn't been hit with SEC athletes like he will Saturday in both option and pocket passes.

There a difference between a cut block and a chop block. Wofford cut blocks a lot and it is legal, the OL simply tries to block the DL below the waist. A chop block is when a DLineman is engaged by one OL and another OL tries to take out his legs. This a foul and can result in nasty injuries as th DL never sees it coming and cannot protect himself
Actually, both can engage a player, they both have to go low or high. One can't be high and the other low. Also, you can't block below the waist 3 yds. Down past the LOS.

Muschamp isn't Elliott. We will be ready and we put a whipping on them!

I have watched Wofford play for years...brother was a QB/WB in early 80's...very little has changed...still are well coached...well prepared...recruit for specific needs they have...this year they throw more than usual...their QB is a big kid [6'3 - 215lbs.] with 4.7-8'ish speed....he is efficient at running the option...his back-up is more athletic with 4.5'ish speed that can make tacklers miss...OC Wade Lang has 30 years of coaching the wing bone and masterful implementing it...OL are big 6'3-6'5 290+ kids and smart...their weakness is on defense this year...DB's play off of receivers in a similar manner SC DB's did earlier this year...Many games this year saw opposing teams move the ball at will in the air to make games close late...Depth on their DL will be an issue...Jake should be able to throw at will in the 5-15 yard range...receivers should be able to settle down in the middle of the field in wide zones of defense or cross without the fear of what we saw against Florida [getting hammered when they crossed]...we should be able to run with an improved group up front expecially with the cross blocking of in motion tight ends and guards pulling...normally I would agree that this will be a close game, but not this year...This year we win by 3 touchdowns...Wofford will try to control the clock...I am SC grad, love our Gamecocks, but like watching WC run the option...again watch for DB cushion WC gives us...

This game isn't about style points, its just a game you have to win...somehow. Our offense should have success and Wofford isn't going to outscore you with the option. I have enough faith in our interior D Line to not be too worried. We just BARELY pulled it out against them the last time we played and then beat a good Clemson team the next week in DV with a backup QB. Just win.

Clemson doesn’t do this. They run the triple option and block below the knees. It does not prepare us for the next week at all and is a constant risk of injury. Zero gain for us.
Isn't Clemson playing the Citadel this week?

Yeah, Wofford has only won two games this season by more than a touchdown which was against Presbyterian and Virginia Military Institute and both of those teams are winless in their conference. I guess Wofford quality wins are against Western Carolina (overtime win) and Furman ( one point victory) and did lose to Samford at home.

I do have a lot of respect for FCS teams and I am fully aware of them being able to defeat FBS schools. Wofford scheme will pose a challenge to the South Carolina defense, however, I think South Carolina is a lot better than what they given credited for and I think they will beat Wofford with ease.
We almost NEVER beat anyone with ease. I think arky might be the exception the last two years.

I have watched Wofford play for years...brother was a QB/WB in early 80's...very little has changed...still are well coached...well prepared...recruit for specific needs they have...this year they throw more than usual...their QB is a big kid [6'3 - 215lbs.] with 4.7-8'ish speed....he is efficient at running the option...his back-up is more athletic with 4.5'ish speed that can make tacklers miss...OC Wade Lang has 30 years of coaching the wing bone and masterful implementing it...OL are big 6'3-6'5 290+ kids and smart...their weakness is on defense this year...DB's play off of receivers in a similar manner SC DB's did earlier this year...Many games this year saw opposing teams move the ball at will in the air to make games close late...Depth on their DL will be an issue...Jake should be able to throw at will in the 5-15 yard range...receivers should be able to settle down in the middle of the field in wide zones of defense or cross without the fear of what we saw against Florida [getting hammered when they crossed]...we should be able to run with an improved group up front expecially with the cross blocking of in motion tight ends and guards pulling...normally I would agree that this will be a close game, but not this year...This year we win by 3 touchdowns...Wofford will try to control the clock...I am SC grad, love our Gamecocks, but like watching WC run the option...again watch for DB cushion WC gives us...
Nice post.

Wofford is the Southern Conference champion so they are a good team by any standard, but we should be able to light their secondary up. I’m going to go out on a limb this time and say we win big.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT