ADVERTISEMENT

Ok I care nothing about BBall but I have a question..

BobbyB1975

Sep 9, 2018
Frank is obviously a lost cause . He will be fired or quit after another losing season . Why not Dawn ?? Before everybody piles on and says it’s impossible ... why is it ?? At least half the women’s hoops coaches are men . Besides Pat Summit Gino is the best ever right ?? Dawn is obviously the best coach we have in the entire athletic department and what do we have to lose . It can’t get much worse . No one will ever be able to convince me that Pat Summit couldn’t have been a top men’s coach . Thoughts ??

Reactions: Freddie.B.Cocky
I can’t imagine the best players in the country wanting to play for a female coach. Part of the fun for young male athletes is the locker room...and that presence would completely change the locker room.

Also, they are the same sport but women’s basketball and men’s basketball are a lot different. I don’t see Dawn wanting to take that shot anyway.

Our university was dumb enough to hire our best coach ever in any sport away from ourselves for another position. I sure as hell hope we wouldn’t be dumb enough to do it again.

Or why not ask Dawn to assist us in hiring a new men's basketball coach?

I've been to clinics twice where she was presenting and she never presented anything that could make your team better that you did not already know. And something about her demeanor would turn off male high school coaches and AAU coaches she would need to establish some relationships with in recruiting. I could be wrong. But she was a great coach of women the record shows. No doubt about that.

The only female coach I would ever think about playing for would be Stephanie Ready (sp.?). But I am an old school guy who played a long time ago. It's a new world and no telling what might work nowadays.

Reactions: Brace1
Good question. I've wondered shy many times.

I’m sure it will happen at some point . The Spurs Assistant Head Coach a woman and Pops swears that she will be an NBA head Coach eventually . I think in the next 10 years we will see it happen somewhere .

I can’t imagine the best players in the country wanting to play for a female coach. Part of the fun for young male athletes is the locker room...and that presence would completely change the locker room.

Also, they are the same sport but women’s basketball and men’s basketball are a lot different. I don’t see Dawn wanting to take that shot anyway.

Our university was dumb enough to hire our best coach ever in any sport away from ourselves for another position. I sure as hell hope we wouldn’t be dumb enough to do it again.

Again I know nothing about BBall but a pick n roll or a 2-3 zone is the exact same thing in the women’s game as the men’s game right ?? I know the dynamics are completely different but is it that far fetched that it could happen . A great coach is a great coach . You are probably right that elite prospects wouldn’t play for a woman but I really don’t see why not . Depends on how well she could sell herself or the program I guess .

She is not going to have a great record this year either. There are 2 similarities in both teams. Neither has a go to shooter that can make open 3's or a 15' foot jumper. A zone takes both out of any offense. A big that has problems making lay ups. Not taking care of the ball and finally inconsistent FT shooting.

Why would Dawn want to coach men? She's the friggin women's olympic coach. Do you think she would jeopardize that position to struggle like heck as an "experiment" in the men's world?

btw... the argument about elite players not wanting to play for a woman is moot. They don't come here anyway. We're lucky when we sign a 3* player from the U.S. and not a project player that's only been playing basketball for 2 years.

Dawn has a great reputation as a successful college player, olympic player, college coach, and olympic coach. That rep is something that resonates with female basketball players. I don't think it would mean a hill of beans to a 16, 17, 18yo male basketball player. They'd be like, "Pffft - So?"

I don't think she'd be able to recruit or command the respect needed.

Reactions: Brace1
Dawn has a great reputation as a successful college player, olympic player, college coach, and olympic coach. That rep is something that resonates with female basketball players. I don't think it would mean a hill of beans to a 16, 17, 18yo male basketball player. They'd be like, "Pffft - So?"

I don't think she'd be able to recruit or command the respect needed.

Which to me is insane . Compare her career resume to Franks right now . Again my question is why are the elite woman players ok playing for a male coach ??

Which to me is insane . Compare her career resume to Franks right now . Again my question is why are the elite woman players ok playing for a male coach ??
Maybe it just comes down to society being more rooted in and comfortable with men in positions of authority more so than women - I mean that's what a coach is, after all; A position of authority .

<Disclaimer> THAT HAVING BEEN SAID; I'm not making a case for or against that POV - Just floating a theory </Disclaimer>

I think Dawn can recruit women, but I don't think she'd have a chance in recruiting men.

Maybe it just comes down to society being more rooted in and comfortable with men in positions of authority more so than women - I mean that's what a coach is, after all; A position of authority .

<Disclaimer> THAT HAVING BEEN SAID; I'm not making a case for or against that POV - Just floating a theory </Disclaimer>

Haha !!! Yeah I totally agree with you actually . Not saying it’s right but it’s true . 20 or 30 years ago it would be unheard of but it wouldn’t surprise me at all if that changes eventually.

Reactions: 92Pony
I’m sure it will happen at some point . The Spurs Assistant Head Coach a woman and Pops swears that she will be an NBA head Coach eventually . I think in the next 10 years we will see it happen somewhere .

It already has happened at the minor league level, twice.

Why would Dawn want to coach men? She's the friggin women's olympic coach. Do you think she would jeopardize that position to struggle like heck as an "experiment" in the men's world?

btw... the argument about elite players not wanting to play for a woman is moot. They don't come here anyway. We're lucky when we sign a 3* player from the U.S. and not a project player that's only been playing basketball for 2 years.

To the first question, the answer is money and ego. Even middlin' men's programs pay their coaches more than Dawn makes as one of the elite women's coaches. And the title of "one of the best basketball coaches ever" vs the title of "one of the best women's basketball coaches ever" is a powerful draw. Dawn may not necessarily be motivated by either, but there will be a great woman coach, at some point, who is motivated by one or both.

As to the mootness in your 2nd point, it's not a moot point if the goal is to be better than we have been. We don't have to recruit like Kentucky and Duke, but we can't have in-state talent choosing Alabama and Tennessee over Carolina.

From an X's and O's standpoint and general _coaching_ standpoint, I think Dawn would do fine. But I think Dawn or any other woman coach would struggle on the recruiting trail for many years. I think a lot of male recruits would be reluctant to sign up to play for a woman and I'm not sure many programs would be patient enough to wait the time it takes for her to overcome that stigma.

Reactions: HI Cock
To the first question, the answer is money and ego. Even middlin' men's programs pay their coaches more than Dawn makes as one of the elite women's coaches. And the title of "one of the best basketball coaches ever" vs the title of "one of the best women's basketball coaches ever" is a powerful draw. Dawn may not necessarily be motivated by either, but there will be a great woman coach, at some point, who is motivated by one or both.

As to the mootness in your 2nd point, it's not a moot point if the goal is to be better than we have been. We don't have to recruit like Kentucky and Duke, but we can't have in-state talent choosing Alabama and Tennessee over Carolina.

From an X's and O's standpoint and general _coaching_ standpoint, I think Dawn would do fine. But I think Dawn or any other woman coach would struggle on the recruiting trail for many years. I think a lot of male recruits would be reluctant to sign up to play for a woman and I'm not sure many programs would be patient enough to wait the time it takes for her to overcome that stigma.

Great points . I agree recruiting would be an issue . It would take a School who really has nothing to lose to pull the trigger .

I think (but don't know) that she'd rather win another NC add to her Olympic medal collection as a women's coach. I don't think the struggle - and the likely mediocrity that it would bring - would feed her ego.

In recruiting, I was saying that she couldn't do worse than what we're doing now with a high-profile male coach. That's why it's a moot point; we don't draw any elite players that would be turned off by a woman coach anyway. It seems like half of our prospects are projects.

I also don't think that it's going to be a high-profile coach like Dawn that makes the jump to the men's game. It'll be a decent coach and a mid-major team (at best) that takes the chance.

P.S. would Geno Auriemma be a good men's coach?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT