ADVERTISEMENT

Okay, I don't follow NFL. But on the local news I saw the blunder by the Officials

Freddie.B.Cocky

Jul 19, 2002
in the Saints vs Rams game that obviously (at least 99.9% sure) cost the Saints the game. That blunder is tied for the biggest blunder I've ever witnessed in my life by the officials, maybe # 1 since it was NFL officials.

The other big blunder by the Officials I witnessed many years ago was a call by the Officials in a USC vs NCSU. Sparky was the coach, the game was played at WB and the game was officiated by an all a she she Officials. I can't remember the exact details of the play but it involved a punt. I think NCSU punted to SC. No USC players touched the ball, no USC players were near the ball, as the replay showed. However, an Official threw a flag and said a Gamecock player had touched the ball and the ball when over to NCSU as a fumble (when a State player downed the punt). Even the announcers commented on the bad call. Here's how you know that the a she she Official was biased against USC. The head of the a she she Officials flew down to Columbia the following Monday and apologized to Sparky in person. Also, the week following the game I watched a couple of Charlotte stations and even they said it was a BLATANTLY bad call by the Officials. And I think it was even mentioned on some National Sports programs at the time. I can't remember if ESPN was even around at that time.

Anyway, the two calls above were the two biggest blunders I have ever seen on any level of football by the Officials.

Last edited:
Reactions: cockofdawn
The biggest officiating blunder was the non-existent first down in the Outback Bowl. Anybody can make a mistake in the heat of the action, but in that instance, all you had to do was look and see if there was light between the football and the stick. They even had the option of checking it several times. They even had the option of talking it over and correcting the call. In that situation, there was every opportunity to get the call right, but they still got it wrong.

The non-call in yesterday's game was really egregious. The defender clearly laid the receiver out before the ball got there. The contact was even helmet-to-helmet.

The biggest officiating blunder was the non-existent first down in the Outback Bowl. Anybody can make a mistake in the heat of the action, but in that instance, all you had to do was look and see if there was light between the football and the stick. They even had the option of checking it several times. They even had the option of talking it over and correcting the call. In that situation, there was every opportunity to get the call right, but they still got it wrong.

The non-call in yesterday's game was really egregious. The defender clearly laid the receiver out before the ball got there. The contact was even helmet-to-helmet.

I had forgot about that one! Just shows one how good my memory is these days. LOL!

Last edited:
Reactions: cockofdawn
Let's be sure we differentiate between calls and no-calls. Otherwise, threadcreep will prevail, if it hasn't already.

That was bad but was it as blatant as the ones mentioned above? It was certainly controversial but was it that obvious.

I agree. That burned us as bad as any no-call ever has, but the push off wasn’t some egregious penalty that isn’t committed by other wide receivers all the time.

It was a total miss, and it was criminal, and it was awesome. Saints, the couch is already warm. No love lost for those 2 SEC tool bags (Kamara and Ingram) who’ve done nothing but trash my Eagles, and iirc, Ingram also ran off the field Tom Brady style after we broke ‘em over at Willy B in 2010. He sure wasn’t dancing last night. Karma may be a lot of things, but forgetful isn’t one of them

First, it didn't cost them the game. There was a missed face mask call earlier that you could say would have won it for Los Angeles. Instead of kicking a FG they would have had a first down on the 5.

The worst call I ever saw was in a Dallas Cowboys vs Rams game in the 70s. It was the opening kickoff, the ball went into the endzone and the receiver downed it there. They called it a safety. Mind you he didn't go out and return, he just downed it. Tom Landry went ballistic and he is usually like granite on the sidelines. The game wasn't that close and didn't matter in the end. It was just the weirdest call by professional refs I have ever seen. 2-0 score to start the game.

Last edited:
Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
Did anybody catch the Chargers - Steelers game this year ?? The Charger LT was a wreck trying to block TJ Watt and on a play in the first half he false started by about second and a half . So obvious that everybody stopped on the play ; everybody but Phillip Rivers and the WR . Rivers threw a bomb to the almost uncovered guy for a TD . No flag . 70,000 fans in Pittsburg saw it and everybody on TV saw it but somehow the entire crew missed it . Even saw the lead official walk over to Tomlin and apologize. Totally turned the game around and Pittsburg fell apart and Chargers routed them . Similiar thing happened in a Ravens game earlier in the year . I honestly think that clear cut penalties like false starts , PI’s , offsides should be reviewable .

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2

https://mail2.spectrum.net/index.ph...g/filenameModified/image003.jpg?folder=INBOX/

The one that burns me up to this day is us at NC State back in the mid 80's. I was there. Props to whomever posts the details. I don't want to relive it.

That was egregious, but I'm glad it happened. What came next kept us in the spotlight for almost a year.

Did anybody catch the Chargers - Steelers game this year ?? The Charger LT was a wreck trying to block TJ Watt and on a play in the first half he false started by about second and a half . So obvious that everybody stopped on the play ; everybody but Phillip Rivers and the WR . Rivers threw a bomb to the almost uncovered guy for a TD . No flag . 70,000 fans in Pittsburg saw it and everybody on TV saw it but somehow the entire crew missed it . Even saw the lead official walk over to Tomlin and apologize. Totally turned the game around and Pittsburg fell apart and Chargers routed them . Similiar thing happened in a Ravens game earlier in the year . I honestly think that clear cut penalties like false starts , PI’s , offsides should be reviewable .
I'm convinced that the NFL is trying to drum up support for the LA teams to build a a bigger market there. 20 million people = a lot of $$$. New stadium coming, too.

The one that burns me up to this day is us at NC State back in the mid 80's. I was there. Props to whomever posts the details. I don't want to relive it.

I didn't see the game but I heard about it and like you I won't read the details of the stinking play.

Last edited:
That was bad but was it as blatant as the ones mentioned above? It was certainly controversial, but was it that obvious?

HELL YES IT WAS OBVIOUS! The official was standing right there where it happened. They ran the same play 2 plays earlier, and Dantzler underthrew the pass badly. It would have been intercepted by Andre Goodman, but Gardner clocked Goodman around the neck from behind, and yanked him down well before the ball arrived. You can see in the video where Goodman got up asking the ref why he didn’t call offensive PI. So, there were 2 bad no calls

First, it didn't cost them the game.
Didn't cost them the game? What game were you watching? It would have given New Orleans a first down in chip-shot FG territory and the ability to run the clock down to just a few seconds before they kicked the winning field goal. That very definitely cost New Orleans the game.

Last edited:
I didnt think the saints no call was that bad. Receivers push off after 5 yards religiously in the NFL. Michael Thomas is one of the most prolific in that category. Yes its a miss but not really that bad in full speed. I understand the NFL rules and by definition it's a PI but it bothers me not one bit that a receiver didnt get his 'way.' How many times have we seen PI called on a db when both players are hand fighting and the db never pulls or grabs? I'd say its cosmic justice.

Sean Payton is one of the biggest whiners in the league also. So there's that

Didn't cost them the game? What game were you watching? It would have given New Orleans a first down in chip-shot FG territory and the ability to run the clock down to just a few seconds before they kicked the winning field goal. That very definitely cost New Orleans the game.

If you are going to correct the bad referee calls you have to correct them all. Like the not called face mask that would have given the Rams a first down inside the 5 yard line and undoubtedly led to a Rams TD that didn't happen. At the very least that should be 4 more points in the Rams scoreboard making a FG by NO not enough.

Also how can one say with certainty the fg attempt would be good? Odds are with the make but you cant say for sure. It may have been blocked or missed. Everyone has seen missed calls or bad calls but this one occurred during a high visibility moment. That's why people are jumping on this train. A moment where even casual observers had the phone down and were watching. The idea that we need to review penalties and non-calls seems a bit too much.

I didnt think the saints no call was that bad. Receivers push off after 5 yards religiously in the NFL. Michael Thomas is one of the most prolific in that category. Yes its a miss but not really that bad in full speed. I understand the NFL rules and by definition it's a PI but it bothers me not one bit that a receiver didnt get his 'way.' How many times have we seen PI called on a db when both players are hand fighting and the db never pulls or grabs? I'd say its cosmic justice.

Sean Payton is one of the biggest whiners in the league also. So there's that
Whether or not you agree that PI was iffy, what was not was the two other penalties that occurred on the same hit....the helmet to helmet and the defenseless player penalties. Both of which the NFL has been heavily emphasizing and calling in games this year....even if they are close, just to be able to review them and stop them from occurring.

Whether or not you agree that PI was iffy, what was not was the two other penalties that occurred on the same hit....the helmet to helmet and the defenseless player penalties. Both of which the NFL has been heavily emphasizing and calling in games this year....even if they are close, just to be able to review them and stop them from occurring.

Ok let me take several leaps and ask, do you believe the NFL should start legislating all penalties in real time from a central location? Eventually using A.I.?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT