ADVERTISEMENT

Omaha pitching . Regional hitting.**

We have easily the best pitching staff in the nation
We may also have the worst hitting in the SEC

Not sure how it is possible that it could happen so often- but I am getting tired of us recruiting STUDS with the bat who get here and devolve into .170 hitters. There are 2-3 of those on our team right NOW. SMH

Jones is the most glaring example. They seem to have given up on him and that's is a damn shame. He should be a .350 hitter with 15 HRs... not sure what Halle ed to him...

Stokes comes out of his shoes on the 1st pitch. Needs to be a little more patient.

Not sure how it is possible that it could happen so often- but I am getting tired of us recruiting STUDS with the bat who get here and devolve into .170 hitters. There are 2-3 of those on our team right NOW. SMH

Jones is the most glaring example. They seem to have given up on him and that's is a damn shame. He should be a .350 hitter with 15 HRs... not sure what Halle ed to him...

It's coaching. That's all there is to it. How many more years are we going to put up with this putrid offense before something gets done. Ugly ugly ugly!

After Williams walked on 4 pitches from the new tater lefty. Destino and Stokes both swung at the next 2 pitches. I was ready to kill somebody.

Reactions: roosterbell
2-0 final
Won the 1st of a 3 game NON-CONFERENCE series.

Nothing more important at this point than winning one more game.

After Williams walked on 4 pitches from the new tater lefty. Destino and Stokes both swung at the next 2 pitches. I was ready to kill somebody.
Remind me of how Kopkins reached on the first pitch of the game?

Swinging at the first pitch is the most over bloated new talking point in all of college baseball.

It's coaching. That's all there is to it. How many more years are we going to put up with this putrid offense before something gets done. Ugly ugly ugly!
I guess our only saving grace is the Taters now have one of our old worthless coaches running their program, huh?

Get back in here and defend yourself boy.

Swinging at the first pitch is the most over bloated new talking point in all of college baseball.
Yep, you wont hear anyone complain when the first pitch is a base hit or a stand up double or a triple or a homerun.

Not sure why anybody with a brain can't see this. Pitching has carried us for years. It just seems year after year we are weak at the plate.
2016 SEC Stats show us 5th in the Conference. The best Conference in baseball.

We have easily the best pitching staff in the nation.

My glasses are more garnet than most but UF, Vandy, UNC and quite a few pro scouts would debate that. And we will see all three. I will just say there are only 3 or four staffs nationally that can match us.

2-0 final
Won the 1st of a 3 game NON-CONFERENCE series.

Nothing more important at this point than winning one more game.
Sure, winning the series is what we all want...
My point is that unless we start HITTING THE BALL, we won't win this series or very many once conference play starts and we damn sure won't SNIFF Omaha!

I am stoked we won, I am just frustrated by our struggles at the plate. It has been a consistent theme among all of Holbrook teams and I don't understand it.

Reactions: tailgatecock
I am sure there are some staffs with three good weekend pitchers that could rival ours... but there is no way you can show me another staff in COLLEGE baseball with the starting rotation we boast, the caliber of CLOSER we have, and bullpen depth at middle relief (not to mention the number of live arms we run out for mid week games!) We are stacked with really good pitchers! Reagan showed that again tonight... our ACE- Schmidt did not have control tonight... it is amazing he walked SEVEN BATTERS and did not give up a run... our middle reliever came in and pitched better than our Ace weekend starter!! So, sure there are teams with a three man weekend rotation you could say is as good as ours... but they do not have the depth, experience and talent behind those three guys we do.... I'm not gonna line up 15 pitchers from each team and analyze them to prove my point, just saying our staff I'd BUILT for a deep tournament run...

If we could just get the bats going!!

Sure, winning the series is what we all want...
My point is that unless we start HITTING THE BALL, we won't win this series or very many once conference play starts and we damn sure won't SNIFF Omaha!

I am stoked we won, I am just frustrated by our struggles at the plate. It has been a consistent theme among all of Holbrook teams and I don't understand it.
Yes, you have a point. Our '10 and '11 teams were hitting machines.
Much better than the '00, '01, '02, etc teams.

Geez

Geez
What does that have to do with anything? 10 and 11 teams WERE hitting machines compared to EVERY TEAM HOLBROOK HAS FIELDED! Walker and a Bradley alone were more pop than we have in our lineup today. The early 2000 teams were monsters at the plate but it was a different game then too- different bats, pitching wasn't at the premium it is in today's game... even comparing them to the 2010/11 teams shows a lack of understanding of the changes in the game.

I don't see how anyone can watch this team- who didn't even score an EARNED RUN TONIGHT, and got outhit by the team we held to 0 runs!- and act like there is no concern over a lack of production at the plate... They lost THREE UPSET GAMES IN A WEEK! All because we could not put the bat on the ball in clutch situations... This is a continuing trend from last year, the reason we lost in our own super... and the reason we MISSED THE PLAYOFFS a couple years ago, the reason we have yet to return to Omaha under our new coach- we ARE NOT HITTIG THE BASEBALL! We have one star at the plate- Destino. Besides him we have a buncha "scrappy" guys who might slap a single through a hole in the infield or leg out a grounder to deep short... but more likely they will pop it up, or ground out... we have two or theee guys who SHOULD be swinging a big stick, but they can at anything with any movement as if all they have ever been shown in practice is batting practice arrow straight fastballs. That is not going to get us where we want to go..

It is early in the season, maybe we can get hot and coast right through this schedule all the way to Omaha, but if recent history is any indication, our coaches are not good at pulling guys out of slumps.

Reactions: GamecockJL
I am sure there are some staffs with three good weekend pitchers that could rival ours... but there is no way you can show me another staff in COLLEGE baseball with the starting rotation we boast, the caliber of CLOSER we have, and bullpen depth at middle relief (not to mention the number of live arms we run out for mid week games!) We are stacked with really good pitchers! Reagan showed that again tonight... our ACE- Schmidt did not have control tonight... it is amazing he walked SEVEN BATTERS and did not give up a run... our middle reliever came in and pitched better than our Ace weekend starter!! So, sure there are teams with a three man weekend rotation you could say is as good as ours... but they do not have the depth, experience and talent behind those three guys we do.... I'm not gonna line up 15 pitchers from each team and analyze them to prove my point, just saying our staff I'd BUILT for a deep tournament run...

If we could just get the bats going!!
I still contest this is the best pitching staff we've ever amassed here. You know why?
Because they have to prove it.
Those trophies weren't won with hitting, they were won with solid pitching and strong...no...nearly superior defense.
Our offense will be OK. I don't like how CCH shuffles the batting order and never have. But as long as we're winning I'll give him the benefit if the doubt.

Reactions: 1SGgamecock
What does that have to do with anything? 10 and 11 teams WERE hitting machines compared to EVERY TEAM HOLBROOK HAS FIELDED! Walker and a Bradley alone were more pop than we have in our lineup today. The early 2000 teams were monsters at the plate but it was a different game then too- different bats, pitching wasn't at the premium it is in today's game... even comparing them to the 2010/11 teams shows a lack of understanding of the changes in the game.

I don't see how anyone can watch this team- who didn't even score an EARNED RUN TONIGHT, and got outhit by the team we held to 0 runs!- and act like there is no concern over a lack of production at the plate... They lost THREE UPSET GAMES IN A WEEK! All because we could not put the bat on the ball in clutch situations... This is a continuing trend from last year, the reason we lost in our own super... and the reason we MISSED THE PLAYOFFS a couple years ago, the reason we have yet to return to Omaha under our new coach- we ARE NOT HITTIG THE BASEBALL! We have one star at the plate- Destino. Besides him we have a buncha "scrappy" guys who might slap a single through a hole in the infield or leg out a grounder to deep short... but more likely they will pop it up, or ground out... we have two or theee guys who SHOULD be swinging a big stick, but they can at anything with any movement as if all they have ever been shown in practice is batting practice arrow straight fastballs. That is not going to get us where we want to go..

It is early in the season, maybe we can get hot and coast right through this schedule all the way to Omaha, but if recent history is any indication, our coaches are not good at pulling guys out of slumps.
OK, you're a tater if you thought that outfield miss was an error.

Yeah it was a bloop by Stokes, but it was a tough play for the outfielder to make. You van't lay the blame on the fielder, you have to credit the batter BECAUSE he hit the pitch thrown to him and put it in a spot that made it tough on the fielder!

Do you know anything about baseball?
The only reason the taters scored it as an error is for an excuse. If I was that kids dad I'd punch the score keeper and Lee in the nose.

Geez
Maybe I'm wrong, it's an age thing. But I don't remember the championship teams as great hitting teams. Probably better than what we've seen the last four years. Those teams won with great pitching, defense, and timely hitting more so than great team average!

Opposing coaches know he's going to swing on the first pitch, so they throw a low breaking ball which he swings over each and everytime. He usually doesn't get hits after guessing the first pitch.

I saw the replay, looked catchable to me. Totally missed judged it....but it's a win so who cares
OK
I was a little overboard on the punching comment maybe. Aight, not really. I'd punch any tater anytime!

But I think they had the boy shifted. And I'd give the batter the credit. I don't buy into the notion that if the fielder can get a glove on it he should have caught it. Positioning matters.

We do that crap all the time. It's beyond frustrating.

You know the said part... My son up in Clemson said that Clemson is a good hitting team, but the pitching staff is horrible...

They really don't have anyone who can compete on the staff who can really compete this year...

Only getting 3 hits and 2 runs off this pitching staff talks volumes of how bad out hitting is and noting has changed under Chad...

You can only go so far with a great pitching staff before they hit a wall on 110+ pitches per game for our starting pitchers...

Our pitching and hitting will most likely be good enough to win this series this weekend and against teams like Wright st. The games I worry is when we face a team with close to equal pitching staffs, but much better hitting.

Anytime you hear an interview with Coach Holbrook, it's always about being agressive at the plate. I just don't think that's a good approach. It seems to lead to guys swinging at a lot of bad pitches and not working a pitcher.

To this point in the season, we're drawing very few walks and our team on base percentage reflects that. We have too many guys that just don't seem to know what a bad pitch is. I was always told to "make the pitcher come to you" and be a good two strike hitter.

There are times to be agressive but you treat every pitch the same. Know the difference between a hittable pitch and one you should let go. That concept should never change, regardless of what level you play.

Somewhere, somehow the hitters have been told to start swinging as soon as you get to the plate. A left hander throws an outside breaking ball and the guys wiff.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT