ADVERTISEMENT

O'Mega Blake hitting the portal

We are having so many transfer outs that we may need two or three portal threads. One for the Defense, a second for the offense and a third for special teams.

Beamers going to have more then a few open scholarships to fill.

Reactions: cockofdawn
We are having so many transfer outs that we may need two or three portal threads. One for the Defense, a second for the offense and a third for special teams.

Beamers going to have more then a few open scholarships to fill.
open tryouts start at 8am on Monday

Per several sites this morning.
Our receivers coach has no ability to retain players, at all. Also, the NIL system sucks. Sure would be a lot easier to just setup a "pay into" fund and buy the damn players. Goods and services to businesses for NIL revenue is stupid. Am I suppose to buy 100 tee shirts to indirectly fill the NIL piggy banks. Just let me send $10,000.00 a year to a NIL bank account for dispersement to the respective students.

Our receivers coach has no ability to retain players, at all. Also, the NIL system sucks. Sure would be a lot easier to just setup a "pay into" fund and buy the damn players. Goods and services to businesses for NIL revenue is stupid. Am I suppose to buy 100 tee shirts to indirectly fill the NIL piggy banks. Just let me send $10,000.00 a year to a NIL bank account for dispersement to the respective students.
Blake was just starting to come into his own. With off season work like Xavier L., he might could make the NFL.

I like the NIL and I like the current system.

But I approach it from the overwhelming belief the power should with the players- and their ability to get paid whatever they can get.

I like the NIL and I like the current system.

But I approach it from the overwhelming belief the power should with the players- and their ability to get paid whatever they can get.

Of course you do. And that's why I'm optimistic the NIL will eventually fail in its current state.

Reactions: FORKCOCK
Of course you do. And that's why I'm optimistic the NIL will eventually fail in its current state.

Hopefully not. The power should be with the players- and I have confidence that the players will retain most of it.

Perhaps it's time to just transform the teams into farm teams, same as MLB, no affiliation to college. The kids have no allegiance, loyalty or desire to be associated with a particular school, they just want $$. They couldn't care less who they play for and don't want or desire the college degree they are being offered for free. Why should fans feel otherwise, why should fans have any loyalty or allegiance to any college team? Other than the fact that they play in stadiums built by the schools, there really is no other tie-in for these players. End college football and make it like the NFL, give them contracts, let them join the player's union, find a sponsor to plaster their business name across WB, AT&T Field maybe? What would be a good nickname and mascot for a Columbia-based semi-pro team?

They won't. They'll say they will- they won't.
You don’t know that. If college sports just turns into full blown minor league pro teams, with players leaving left and right, the fans will just turn their attention to an NFL, NBA or MLB team.

I’ll just start watching high school football. Or, better yet, I’ll just enjoy fishing and outdoor activities.
I’ve missed many great days of inshore fishing in the fall to watch my favorite team. This could be changing. I don’t blame the school or the coaches but the players are causing me to lose interest. Loyalty is a two way street.

I’ve missed many great days of inshore fishing in the fall to watch my favorite team. This could be changing. I don’t blame the school or the coaches but the players are causing me to lose interest. Loyalty is a two way street.
The Muschamp era, including these last three seasons; I’ve really enjoyed being outdoors on weekends. I had times during Muschamp, that I didn’t even know who we were playing or time.

Perhaps it's time to just transform the teams into farm teams, same as MLB, no affiliation to college. The kids have no allegiance, loyalty or desire to be associated with a particular school, they just want $$. They couldn't care less who they play for and don't want or desire the college degree they are being offered for free. Why should fans feel otherwise, why should fans have any loyalty or allegiance to any college team? Other than the fact that they play in stadiums built by the schools, there really is no other tie-in for these players. End college football and make it like the NFL, give them contracts, let them join the player's union, find a sponsor to plaster their business name across WB, AT&T Field maybe? What would be a good nickname and mascot for a Columbia-based semi-pro team?
Baseball has the best grasp on the situation with their minor leagues. They develop players and cull the herd. The NBDL tried to replicate the system, to a degree, maybe to give those who had no intentions of going to college and being labeled as a “student athlete” a way to bypass the college game (going to class), but the one-and-dones still arrive on campuses for a semester. Maybe the system isn’t working as first intentions perceived or maybe the NBA had no intentions of the G League (now as it is called) being a minor league. Football has no minor league except the colleges which are morphing into pro leagues with the NIL.

Reactions: Patriot321
If the fans quit showing up, watching on TV, buying tickets, jerseys, etc., the whole thing would crumble.

Won't happen.

I was at a Christmas party Sunday with a guy who has been whining about the NIL stuff and college football for over a year. Family friend. He yaps about it constantly when I am around him. He use to constantly whine about how he was never going to watch the NFL again- essentially whatever Fox News told him. (Despite Fox News also promoting their own NFL games).

All he talked about this past week when we were at the same house together was watching the playoff games. He was excited about it and planning his own party for the Bama-Michigan game.

of course, he was complaining about it as we were watching the Packers game Sunday. LOL

It was Christmas so I couldn't point out his inconsistency to him.

Reactions: Crazy Cock 89
Won't happen.

I was at a Christmas party Sunday with a guy who has been whining about the NIL stuff and college football for over a year. Family friend. He yaps about it constantly when I am around him. He use to constantly whine about how he was never going to watch the NFL again- essentially whatever Fox News told him. (Despite Fox News also promoting their own NFL games).

All he talked about this past week when we were at the same house together was watching the playoff games. He was excited about it and planning his own party for the Bama-Michigan game.

of course, he was complaining about it as we were watching the Packers game Sunday. LOL

It was Christmas so I couldn't point out his inconsistency to him.
I grew up a Gamecock fan. As a kid, we’d draw a #11 on a white T-Shirt and pretend to be John Roche on the outdoor basketball court during recess.

I would have moved mountains to watch “our boys” play. Now days, these kids don’t seem to be “our boys” anymore. They’re just a bunch of rental players that want Mo Money. God forbid we make a bowl game, the best ones would sit out (pull a Deebo).

It is what it is now but it’s not what it was. It won’t end well though. You can take that to the bank.

I grew up a Gamecock fan. As a kid, we’d draw a #11 on a white T-Shirt and pretend to be John Roche on the outdoor basketball court during recess.

I would have moved mountains to watch “our boys” play. Now days, these kids don’t seem to be “our boys” anymore. They’re just a bunch of rental players that want Mo Money. God forbid we make a bowl game, the best ones would sit out (pull a Deebo).

It is what it is now but it’s not what it was. It won’t end well though. You can take that to the bank.

They aren't our players. Course, they never really were. People just convince themselves of that to make it easier to accept.

They play for themselves, their families. A few play for the school and are just happy to be there. But those are usually the ones with few options.

They aren't our players. Course, they never really were. People just convince themselves of that to make it easier to accept.

They play for themselves, their families. A few play for the school and are just happy to be there. But those are usually the ones with few options.
No! The older guys like our 2010 teams and such played for each other and the school.

These younger kids are selfish and play for themselves.

No! The older guys like our 2010 teams and such played for each other and the school.

Those guys back then were selfish too. They just didn't have as many options back then. Remember when JD was talking about sitting out his entire Junior season because he already thought he had the #1 pick locked up. The 2010's were a precursor to what's happening now. The rules just allow the players to show their hand and realize what it was all about all the time. These colleges are a vehicle to get the really good players where they truly want to be. In the NFL, getting a sizeable paycheck. That's just the truth. Go to the Gamecock walk before games. 85-90 percent of the players don't even make eye contact with the fans.

Baseball has the best grasp on the situation with their minor leagues. They develop players and cull the herd. The NBDL tried to replicate the system, to a degree, maybe to give those who had no intentions of going to college and being labeled as a “student athlete” a way to bypass the college game (going to class), but the one-and-dones still arrive on campuses for a semester. Maybe the system isn’t working as first intentions perceived or maybe the NBA had no intentions of the G League (now as it is called) being a minor league. Football has no minor league except the colleges which are morphing into pro leagues with the NIL.
The NBA intends to use the G League as a developmental league. However, players still know that they best way for exposure is to go to college for that one year in hopes of getting drafted high. The commissioner wants to go back down to 18 as the draftable age, but the One-and-Done thing is like Social Security now. Once you give people a benefit, it's like pulling teeth for to convince them to let it go. They didn't reach a deal on that in the last Collective Bargaining Agreement. So, One-and-Done it is until at least 2027.

Uh- no. Not true. I was on campus going to school right beside a number of those older players sitting in class next to several of them. Talking to them about school projects when we had assignments, etc. They were selfish too- they just didn't have the options as the players do today.

After I graduated, I worked with a backup QB for almost a year.

many of them didn't give a crap about the fans. IN fact, for quite a number of them, we were just in their way.

Those guys back then were selfish too. They just didn't have as many options back then. Remember when JD was talking about sitting out his entire Junior season because he already thought he had the #1 pick locked up. The 2010's were a precursor to what's happening now. The rules just allow the players to show their hand and realize what it was all about all the time. These colleges are a vehicle to get the really good players where they truly want to be. In the NFL, getting a sizeable paycheck. That's just the truth. Go to the Gamecock walk before games. 85-90 percent of the players don't even make eye contact with the fans.
We are going to have to agree to disagree on this. It was ESPN and other Media Personnel trying to start a rumor about why Clowney should/could Opt/Out. Clowney always wanted to play, He had a Hiatal hernia and played with it while on our Roster.
My Brother-in-law had one of these and told me how Tough/Selfless Clowney was to play with that injury. It is very painful. Clowney was a beast here. He could have sit out, but he didn't. Clowney loved the Game and Did well for us. He also didn't complain about playing behind Melvin Ingram.

DJ Swearinger, Stephon Gilmore, Marcus Lattimore, Connor Shaw. Those kids were different, They were selfless. In reference to the walk, I have been to the walk many times and these kids are trying to relax and focus for the up and coming game. Don't have a problem with our football players not making eye contact with me or any other fans. Many of these kids are teenagers. How many teenagers do you know that enjoy making eye contact with adults.

The kids today on our roster and/or portal transfers have a long way to go before they can be compared to the Rosters Spurrier had. TAlshon Jeffrey would never had done what Juice Wells did.

You should buy the shirts and give them away. Get something for those ten stacks!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT