ADVERTISEMENT

On a scale of 1 to 10 how excited are you for 2019 season

I agree, he needs to beat a ranked team and raise some eyebrows. No argument there. But do you see how you just completely dismissed Muschamp's 9 win season? At least give credit where it's due. Spurrier wins 9 games and fans do cartwheels. Muschamp wins 9 games and fans say it only looks good on paper and it was a smoke and mirrors season. Spurrier only won 9 or more games 4 times here. Muschamp has already done it once. Give some credit.
Also, it took Spurrier did it in his 6th season, Muschamp did it in his 2nd. Muschamp is no Spurrier, that I agree. But he's off to a much better start than some fans give him credit for.
Hand clap. Well said

Sooo... what? As long as Muschamp fails to accomplish anything of note, it's all Spurrier's fault? In Year 4? How long are we supposed to let that fly? And if/when he doesn't work out, will you blame all the new coach's future losses on Muschamp?
yes, the early 2020s will be Muschamp's fault; just as the late 2010s will continue to be Spurrier's fault.
Athletic Administration has, is, and will continue to be the problem. Yes, maybe we need to make changes in Coaches sometimes but a good, strong AD will make the right moves.

Sooo... what? As long as Muschamp fails to accomplish anything of note, it's all Spurrier's fault? In Year 4? How long are we supposed to let that fly? And if/when he doesn't work out, will you blame all the new coach's future losses on Muschamp?
yes, the early 2020s will be Muschamp's fault; just as the late 2010s will continue to be Spurrier's fault.
Athletic Administration has, is, and will continue to be the problem. Yes, maybe we need to make changes in Coaches sometimes but a good, strong AD will make the right moves.

Have to find that AD first.

Reactions: Legendary Cock
How about Spurrier's last couple of years? You know, after he flushed our program down the toilet setting us back years? You can't put all the blame on the new staff after the way Spurrier left this program. It was Spurrier's team that went 3-9 and lost to the Citadel. Let that sink in.
Muschamp already has a 9 win season here, which is something Spurrier only did 4 times! Spurrier had a fantastic 4 year run, but he also hit a lot of bumps in the road getting there. Some choose to only remember the 3 11-2 seasons and forget the rest.

No knock on Muschamp but Spurrier did win more bowls in his tenure than USC won since ..... well the invention of the Automobile. His last two seasons were rough but the only time in the last Century the program has been relevant is during his stint . 1984 was a fluke and Lou had a few decent seasons but nothing program changing . Spurrier brought relevancy and a swagger to the program the day he walked on campus . Love him or hate him he is the best thing that ever happened to this program . I agree it Didn’t end well but without him this program is an absolute afterthought nationally .

No, actually I feel the exact opposite. Muschamp's small successes here should be celebrated because of the way Spurrier left us. I'm not blaming Spurrier, but rather giving credit to Muschamp for what he accomplished despite the way Spurrier left us. I refuse to celebrate Spurrier's greatness while ignoring his short comings. Muschamp's first two seasons here were played with Spurrier recruited players, which is why we played more freshman than any other team in the SEC, and more than most teams in the country.

No one expected Muschamp to win 7 games in year 1, but we did. No one expected 9 wins in year two. 9 wins is something Spurrier only accomplished 4 times here by the way, but some fans still act like he's Saban. Muschamp has been through 3 full recruiting cycles, plus 2 months of his first recruiting cycle. It's obvious he's building talent here based on the number of underclassmen playing year after year. I think we'll see a very competitive team this season, and could start challenging for the east again within a year or two. That's a far cry away from losing to the Citadel and going 3-9.
1. Sure you are. Everything else you post in some way blames Spurrier.

2a. From where I'm sitting, you don't give him credit for much of anything. And if you do, it's a backhanded compliment.

2b. And Muschamp's best players on offense and defense were Spurrier's recruits.

3. As has already been pointed out, he only won 6 his first year. But kudos to him for that and his second year. The problem, which has been pointed out ad nauseam, is he's only beaten one ranked team here. That second season looked great on paper, but we still didn't beat any ranked teams. What's worse is we pretty much got blown out by the ones we played. And that's been the case pretty much ever since -- except for Florida, where blew a 17 point lead and coached our way out of a win. Even worse is that last year, many predicted that we could win 9 or more games based on our schedule. But we all saw how that ended.

4a. I hope so. Because that means we'll be that much closer to closing the gap on Clemson and Georgia and challenging for the East, which is what we all want.

4b. Spurrier didn't lose the Citadel. Shawn Elliott did. Spurrier also didn't finish 3-9.

1. Sure you are. Everything else you post in some way blames Spurrier.

2a. From where I'm sitting, you don't give him credit for much of anything. And if you do, it's a backhanded compliment.

2b. And Muschamp's best players on offense and defense were Spurrier's recruits.

3. As has already been pointed out, he only won 6 his first year. But kudos to him for that and his second year. The problem, which has been pointed out ad nauseam, is he's only beaten one ranked team here. That second season looked great on paper, but we still didn't beat any ranked teams. What's worse is we pretty much got blown out by the ones we played. And that's been the case pretty much ever since -- except for Florida, where blew a 17 point lead and coached our way out of a win. Even worse is that last year, many predicted that we could win 9 or more games based on our schedule. But we all saw how that ended.

4a. I hope so. Because that means we'll be that much closer to closing the gap on Clemson and Georgia and challenging for the East, which is what we all want.

4b. Spurrier didn't lose the Citadel. Shawn Elliott did. Spurrier also didn't finish 3-9.

2b. Sure, a couple of the better players were Spurrier recruits. The best players should've been his recruits as they were upperclassmen. But we still played more Freshman than any other team in the SEC Muschamp's first 2 seasons here. So yeah, a handful of players on either side of the ball were good former Spurrier players, but as a whole we had very little depth.

4b. Because Spurrier lost control of the team and quit midseason. Spurrier is as responsible for the 3-9 season as much as he's responsible for the three straight 11-2 seasons.

Really? Because I dont share YOUR enthusiasm? Whatever man. I call it like I see it. Like many others, that bowl game just left a terrible taste in my mouth. I will believe the hype when I see the results on the field.
I call it like I see it too bro. I dont see what's the deal with all these negative Nancy's that dont understand the truth and reality of what happened to our team last year. Take a break from football please you guys are killing our fan base with your lack of knowledge of what's going on inside our program. You have to have depth to play big boy football, you have to have depth for injuries and you have to have quality depth. We HAVE NOT had that at Carolina in a long time. They said it would take 5 to 6 years to rebuild this football team.... take a look at where we are? We actually have quality talent in all positions to actually contend with some teams this year. Just sucks that we have the schedule that we do. So what its life. Its football. And it's the sec.

2b. Sure, a couple of the better players were Spurrier recruits. The best players should've been his recruits as they were upperclassmen. But we still played more Freshman than any other team in the SEC Muschamp's first 2 seasons here. So yeah, a handful of players on either side of the ball were good former Spurrier players, but as a whole we had very little depth.

4b. Because Spurrier lost control of the team and quit midseason. Spurrier is as responsible for the 3-9 season as much as he's responsible for the three straight 11-2 seasons.
1. Deebo was only a sophomore.

2. Spurrier has constantly owned up to how things turned out. He's repeatedly admitted that he made some bad hires and that the recruiting game had passed him by. But he did not lose to the Citadel. And his history suggests that he never would, had he not "fired himself" and stayed on.

The one thing he won't admit to (and I wouldn't expect him to) is that putting Junior in charge of recruiting was a horrible decision.

I am at a 10! I love the schedule, great tests against great teams that should be fun to watch. This year will also answer every question anybody could possibly have about this team and coach. We will know EXACTLY what we have. I am not expecting a miracle season, but we can see how Muschamp and staff fare against a few of the upper tier staffs in the game. We can also see if we finally have the talent and coaching to win all the games we should win.

1. Deebo was only a sophomore.

2. Spurrier has constantly owned up to how things turned out. He's repeatedly admitted that he made some bad hires and that the recruiting game had passed him by. But he did not lose to the Citadel. And his history suggests that he never would, had he not "fired himself" and stayed on.

The one thing he won't admit to (and I wouldn't expect him to) is that putting Junior in charge of recruiting was a horrible decision.

We finally agree, sort of. You're right Spurrier did not lose to the Citadel, but I'm not sure he wouldn't have had he not walked away.

I hate to say it, but it’s the least excited I’ve ever been for a season.”

About 5 works for me this year,as in most years.Get appropriately excited if proven wrong.My ridiculous optimism for many years I trace to my first USC game attended-9 year old,1959,30-14 upset Georgia and future Hall of Fame QB Fran Tarkenton.Their only loss of year.
Hey,isn’t this how it will always be? Many decades of the Charlie Brown/Lucy pulling football away...again...scenario re the Gamecocks has tempered my former perpetual optimism.

Gotta admit last season I was about a 10 1/2 . This season gotta say about a 7 . Kind of the same feeling I had during the middle of the Holtz tenure . Expecting to win some games, scare some people and be competitive but not expecting to really compete for the east . Always excited for football season in general both pro and college but this season is kinda ... meh . My opinion might change drastically for better or worse after the Kentucky game.

I’m at about a 4. Blowing that lead at UF and the bowl game have really lowered my expectations. I really, really like CWM but I don’t have a lot of confidence that this coaching staff can make in game decisions to be the difference between winning and losing. We are definitely a blue collar or lunch pail type of team. In a way I like that but Ireally want a dominant defense. I hope I am pleasantly surprised.

How about Spurrier's last couple of years? You know, after he flushed our program down the toilet setting us back years? You can't put all the blame on the new staff after the way Spurrier left this program. It was Spurrier's team that went 3-9 and lost to the Citadel. Let that sink in.
Muschamp already has a 9 win season here, which is something Spurrier only did 4 times! Spurrier had a fantastic 4 year run, but he also hit a lot of bumps in the road getting there. Some choose to only remember the 3 11-2 seasons and forget the rest.

spurrier never never had a 4 win season!!

Usually only taters resurrect 4 month old threads.

I’m definitely not a tater as everyone on here knows . Just thought it was interesting to see how things played out considering I made this thread three weeks before opening day . Some of us were pretty accurate .

I see I was right on the money. Was very hesitant to get too excited and buy into the hype after so many years of being a Carolina fan. I didnt expect that it would be so bad that just a few days before the TaterTech game, there would be no hope for a bowl game and that I would have zero interest in watching the beating that everyone knows is coming. So unfortunately, I will have even less excitement going into next season then I did for this one.

You know I was pretty confident this was gonna be a rough year but I really thought we could beat UNC , UT , Mizzou and App State . Honestly besides the UNC game we got pretty much dominated in the losses . I know the App State game ended up close but it really wasn’t . I’ll be honest, I think next year may be one for the record books but not in a good way . I think we are stuck with Champ one more year but I think next year will be the dagger in the heart .

Reactions: SOSUSC
My ORR was 8-4, and I still think that should have been reasonable. We lost at least three and probably four games to people we had no business losing to if our program was what we had been led to believe it was.

Yeah I was thinking 6-6 and 7-5 . Funny thing is I had UGA and Kentucky down as L’s . Funny how that works out

Reactions: king ward
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT