ADVERTISEMENT

On this day in 1990......

jeff2001

Apr 5, 2003
Buster Douglas beat Mike Tyson. Where were you on this day. If you were alive.
I was at old girlfriends house going crazy watching Buster knocking out iron Mike. Her mom was looking at me like I have lost my mind. They didnt understand how big a deal that was.

Reactions: Gaimcock
I remember it like it was yesterday . If you remember the NBA Slam Dunk Comtest was on the same night ( It was still fun back then) . Remember watching the contest and getting ready for bed and the clicker scrolled on the bottom of the screen “ Mike Tyson Knocked out in Tokyo by Buster Douglas “. In my mind still the greatest upset in the history of sports . People forget how invincible Mike was at the time . Will never forget it . The first Holyfield fight was a shocker too . Evander was considered over the hill . He had been beaten up badly twice by Riddick Bowe and Tyson was destroying people . Still one of my favorite fights ever . By that time Tyson’s attitude had turned me off so I was very much on team Evander but never expected what happened .

Reactions: jeff2001
The one and only time my grandma ever bet (that I knew about) and she gave me Tyson and I lost 5$ . At 14 5$ is like a lot.....
My Grandma’s cool points only went up from there!
I couldn’t be upset with her Mr Tyson let me down.

Reactions: Pee Dee Dawg
Buster Douglas beat Mike Tyson. Where were you on this day. If you were alive.
I was at old girlfriends house going crazy watching Buster knocking out iron Mike. Her mom was looking at me like I have lost my mind. They didnt understand how big a deal that was.
Robin Givens beat Mike Tyson.

Fixed it for you...

I remember it like it was yesterday . If you remember the NBA Slam Dunk Comtest was on the same night ( It was still fun back then) . Remember watching the contest and getting ready for bed and the clicker scrolled on the bottom of the screen “ Mike Tyson Knocked out in Tokyo by Buster Douglas “. In my mind still the greatest upset in the history of sports . People forget how invincible Mike was at the time . Will never forget it . The first Holyfield fight was a shocker too . Evander was considered over the hill . He had been beaten up badly twice by Riddick Bowe and Tyson was destroying people . Still one of my favorite fights ever . By that time Tyson’s attitude had turned me off so I was very much on team Evander but never expected what happened .

Tyson’s downfall began when he dumped all his former handlers, and got in bed with
Don King. Why anyone would trust that guy is beyond me,

Tyson’s downfall began when he dumped all his former handlers, and got in bed with
Don King. Why anyone would trust that guy is beyond me,

Yeah your right . Honestly I think the Holyfield fight showed that more than anything . Buster just caught him when his entire life was failing apart . People forget when Mike got out of prison , he was destroying everyone . A lot of critics thought he would seriously hurt Evander . The first time Mike hit him with his best shot and Evander stood right in his face and hit him back and rocked him , Mike was done . You can see in his face after about the third round that he knew he couldn’t beat Evander . That’s why the bite happened in fight two . He knew he couldn’t intimidate or bully Evander and that was his biggest strength . Mike is still an icon . Very glad to see he has gotten his life back together . Joe Rogan did a podcast with him a few weeks ago and it was excellent .

Reactions: Gaimcock
Remember watching it with my dad and joking about how it wasn’t going to be much of a fight.
What happened to pro boxing? Seems like after Holyfield retired it just faded away

I always and still believe boxing is rigged. When Leon beat GOAT I knew then boxing was fixed.

Sitting outside around a campfire. Went back into the house to grab some more beers and saw it happen. Went back and told my buddies and they didn't believe me.

Remember watching it with my dad and joking about how it wasn’t going to be much of a fight.
What happened to pro boxing? Seems like after Holyfield retired it just faded away

I’ll tell you what happened ... the heavyweight division went to crap . You had guys that looked like absolutely killers like Lennox Lewis and the Klitchko Bros who would finesse people to death . They were great technical fighters but it was BORING . You knew when you watched Tyson somebody was gonna get Knocked out . You knew when you watched Holyfield fight anybody it was going to be an absolute war . Those 3 Bowe vs Holyfield fights were as good as it gets . Unfortunately guys like Lennox , while technically masterful were just just boring to watch . When I see a guy like Lennox and Klitch who are 6’4 240lbs and built like Gladiators, I want to see KO’s . That’s what killed boxing along with the rise of UFC .

Reactions: roosterbell
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT