ADVERTISEMENT

One and done players?

vacock#

Oct 26, 1998
Since we were good enough to get to the final four, seems like we should be recruiting players who are on the path and are so good that they only play for one year (one and done). Any chance we could get those basketball recruits?

Are there really that many teams that use one and dones? Unless I misunderstood, seems like the announcers during the final four were saying that none of the remaining teams had them. I found that kinda shocking... if that was truly the case.

One Final Four in school history does not a Duke, UNC, UK make. The true "one and dones" will still go to those schools, IMO.

Not all of them do. LSU just had the #1 pick in the draft. The #1 pick this year, perhaps, went to Washington. FSU, NC State, Gonzaga, and Creighton all have one-and-dones that will be drafted high this year.

There's a good article about the house, money, car, and watches that one and done got at lsu. Seems like a bad investment.. didn't they wind up in the nit?

Reactions: bucketdad
Since we were good enough to get to the final four, seems like we should be recruiting players who are on the path and are so good that they only play for one year (one and done). Any chance we could get those basketball recruits?

We should be recruiting the players that Frank Martin thinks we should be recruiting. He seems to know what it takes to get to the Final Four.

Since Frank seems to put a premium on defense, are one and dones typically known for theirs? Or are they primarily offensive guys? Asking because I don't usually follow one and done guys.

Since Frank seems to put a premium on defense, are one and dones typically known for theirs? Or are they primarily offensive guys? Asking because I don't usually follow one and done guys.

It depends. A lot of the one-and-dones are freaky athletic types, who are prized for that, and not for their refined offensive games. (Think Anthony Davis, who was not a great offensive player at Kentucky, but developed into one in the NBA.) Some of them are shot-loving offensive types (think Kentucky's Monk).

They are NOT typically the types (because they are freshman) who are going to be system defensive guys. Those guys grow into the system. That's what Frank ultimately wants. But if there's an elite player who would help the team, he obviously will go for it.

Reactions: stevestrat2
It depends. A lot of the one-and-dones are freaky athletic types, who are prized for that, and not for their refined offensive games. (Think Anthony Davis, who was not a great offensive player at Kentucky, but developed into one in the NBA.) Some of them are shot-loving offensive types (think Kentucky's Monk).

They are NOT typically the types (because they are freshman) who are going to be system defensive guys. Those guys grow into the system. That's what Frank ultimately wants. But if there's an elite player who would help the team, he obviously will go for it.
That makes sense. Thanks for your response. It's been a breath of fresh air to see his defenses work. And I got to admit it has been nice getting a lot of praise on his defense from the experts as well. If they can maintain that type of defense with a one and done or maybe two, great.

Honestly I think the one and done thing is a stupid rule . I know for every Kobe , Lebron , KG types there are 100 Kwame Browns that never made it coming out of high school . However, what other job in a America REQUIRES you to go to college for one year even if you are capable of doing the job right out of high school . I know this is an NBA and not NCAA rule but in all honestly does that one year of college effect the Maturity of a kid that much ?? Not sure if I agree with it or not . Great to see guys like Durant and Anthony Davis ball out for one year in college but is it really necessary . If John Wall blew his Knee out in his one year at Kentucky are U.K. And Coach Cal gonna support him and his family for the next 20 years ?? If you follow Ben Simmons story at LSU , he never went to class, never intended to . Does this help or hurt a team when 1 guy is held to different standards because everybody knows before he steps on the court that he's gonna go #1 in the NBA lottery . It sucks when kids left right out of high school and washed out in 2 or 3 years and had nothing to fall back on but it should be their and their families decision . 3 years of an NBA rookie deal is still more than I'll make in 10 years and even if they wash out there's always Europe, China , etc plenty of other avenues that will PAY you to play . What do y'all think?? I see the pros and the cons

Honestly I think the one and done thing is a stupid rule . I know for every Kobe , Lebron , KG types there are 100 Kwame Browns that never made it coming out of high school . However, what other job in a America REQUIRES you to go to college for one year even if you are capable of doing the job right out of high school . I know this is an NBA and not NCAA rule but in all honestly does that one year of college effect the Maturity of a kid that much ?? Not sure if I agree with it or not . Great to see guys like Durant and Anthony Davis ball out for one year in college but is it really necessary . If John Wall blew his Knee out in his one year at Kentucky are U.K. And Coach Cal gonna support him and his family for the next 20 years ?? If you follow Ben Simmons story at LSU , he never went to class, never intended to . Does this help or hurt a team when 1 guy is held to different standards because everybody knows before he steps on the court that he's gonna go #1 in the NBA lottery . It sucks when kids left right out of high school and washed out in 2 or 3 years and had nothing to fall back on but it should be their and their families decision . 3 years of an NBA rookie deal is still more than I'll make in 10 years and even if they wash out there's always Europe, China , etc plenty of other avenues that will PAY you to play . What do y'all think?? I see the pros and the cons

It's a rule put in place for one reason and one reason only: to benefit the NBA. The NBA doesn't want kids straight out of high school. They could not care less how little it benefits, or how much it hurts the NCAA or the athletes.

It's a rule put in place for one reason and one reason only: to benefit the NBA. The NBA doesn't want kids straight out of high school. They could not care less how little it benefits, or how much it hurts the NCAA or the athletes.
I think the NCAA went to the NBA to get the rule made, because basketball viewership was down without those star players. LeBron James was the final catalyst because the NCAA knew people would tune in to watch Ohio State had he gone there. If you think the NBA doesn't know how to play ball with others, you're fooling yourself.

I think the NCAA went to the NBA to get the rule made, because basketball viewership was down without those star players. LeBron James was the final catalyst because the NCAA knew people would tune in to watch Ohio State had he gone there. If you think the NBA doesn't know how to play ball with others, you're fooling yourself.

Nope, it was a push by David Stern and the NBA.

No way the NCAA would want the one and done rule, they hate it. It makes a mockery of collegiate athletics. And it has ruined the college game. If kids don't want to go to college they should not be forced to, but this rule does that.

Also, another post said something about the announcer's saying that there were no one and done players on any of the Final Four teams. Here is a good rule in life, don't listen to anything Jim Nantz says, because anyone that knows anything about college basketball knew that Zach Collins from Gonzaga was going to declare and be a likely lottery pick.

No way the NCAA would want the one and done rule, they hate it. It makes a mockery of collegiate athletics. And it has ruined the college game. If kids don't want to go to college they should not be forced to, but this rule does that.

Also, another post said something about the announcer's saying that there were no one and done players on any of the Final Four teams. Here is a good rule in life, don't listen to anything Jim Nantz says, because anyone that knows anything about college basketball knew that Zach Collins from Gonzaga was going to declare and be a likely lottery pick.
Just for the record, I think nearly all the so-called experts are overpaid and more times than not don't have any idea what they are talking about but like to hear themselves talk anyway.;)

Actually Michael Kidd-Gilchrist was a lock down defender and he was taken second behind Davis.

Actually Michael Kidd-Gilchrist was a lock down defender and he was taken second behind Davis.
Yeah and he has yet to develop any semblance of an offensive game . Great hustle player , great defender but total bust as the second overall selection . Guy has been in the league 4 years and still can't hit a 15 footer or develop an offensive game . If I draft a guy #2 I'm expecting more than 10pts and 5 boards a game . Especially when guys like Lilliard and Beal went after him .

Reactions: Bleedgarnet33
Y

Having the one and dines is better than never getting those kids on a college court, for the NCAA at least. They hate the rule, but it's better for the NCAA than never getting to profit from these high profile kids.

They should be able to go straight out of high school if they want. They should be able to quit high school and go if they are good enough to play. Few professions, except those with specific educational requirements, put these kind of limitations on young people. Being good enough to play at that level should be the only requirement. Of course the NBA wants the college game to use them as a filter, or a cost free minor league, if you will.

I love how baseball handles it...you can go out after High School but if you stay you can't declare for the draft until after your junior year (or 3 years removed from high school). Not sure if that would fly for basketball but sure would make for a better product for college.

one and dones would not survive Martin, have you ever watched them play?...very undisciplined...just win because they are surrounded by other one and dones

Yeah and he has yet to develop any semblance of an offensive game . Great hustle player , great defender but total bust as the second overall selection . Guy has been in the league 4 years and still can't hit a 15 footer or develop an offensive game . If I draft a guy #2 I'm expecting more than 10pts and 5 boards a game . Especially when guys like Lilliard and Beal went after him .
Never said that. I said he was a great defender and you agreed with me.

Never said that. I said he was a great defender and you agreed with me.
I totally agree with you . The kid hustles and is all over the court . He seems to be a great kid and I'm pulling for him to develop . Don't think I would have spent a #2 pick on a hustle player . I think if anything else this is the NBA GM mindset of drafting potential over production in college . A GM sees a 19 year old , 6'9 freakish Athlete that runs like a deer and can jump out of the gym and they are banking on them eventually developing in areas that they never showed in college . Sometimes it works and sometimes it seems the light never turns on . A perfect example is Kahwi Leonard . His Game and MKG's game in college were very similar : lockdown defenders with crazy athletic ability but very limited offensively . Leonard offensive game has developed to the point that he's in the MVP conversation . Scottie Pippin was kind of similiar also . I would love to see a Kid like MKG become that kind of player but I'm afraid that jump shot is broken beyond repair .

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT