ADVERTISEMENT

One Deep Depth Chart trending the correct way...

DeBoer31

Gold Member
Jun 19, 2015
On both sides of the ball, the one deep looks pretty solid *with the exception of speed at WR position. With Bell being a hybrid guy...that certainly bolsters that position. I think he's the best player in our program...so hard to say that position room is the worst of all the position groupings. Recent P5 pickups provide depth which is a must in the SEC...and maybe a start or two? Things are looking up... especially in regard to offensive personnel.
I really like the QB group now...with Doty, Gauthier and the two incoming freshmen with time to learn and make their impact. I thinK JuJu is way underrated and will have a breakout year this year as a scat back. I'm looking for him to rush for 800 & receive for 400 plus. Trending the right way.

On both sides of the ball, the one deep looks pretty solid *with the exception of speed at WR position. With Bell being a hybrid guy...that certainly bolsters that position. I think he's the best player in our program...so hard to say that position room is the worst of all the position groupings. Recent P5 pickups provide depth which is a must in the SEC...and maybe a start or two? Things are looking up... especially in regard to offensive personnel.
I really like the QB group now...with Doty, Gauthier and the two incoming freshmen with time to learn and make their impact. I thinK JuJu is way underrated and will have a breakout year this year as a scat back. I'm looking for him to rush for 800 & receive for 400 plus. Trending the right way.
If you were running the O how wood you utilize the talent we have. I can see it going a lot of directions.
You could easily use a two TE set with Stogner and Bell but create mismatches by moving them to different spots. Force the hand, the D will have to declare and bam. Now you’ve got a problem. Or. With the talent we have in the RB room and their ability to catch the ball I could see a 20 or 21 personnel package and some option, true RPO stuff.
honestly it’s limitless.
what are your thoughts?

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
All of this skill player infusion reminds me of the years we were beating the crap out of Clemson. They had skill player galore but their lines were garbage. With the talent along SEC D lines it really doesn’t matter what your skill player talent level is if you can’t slow down the rush. See the most recent national championship game for example.

I sure hope we have a better scheme up our sleeves than a 5 step drop out of the shotgun.

All of this skill player infusion reminds me of the years we were beating the crap out of Clemson. They had skill player galore but their lines were garbage. With the talent along SEC D lines it really doesn’t matter what your skill player talent level is if you can’t slow down the rush. See the most recent national championship game for example.

I sure hope we have a better scheme up our sleeves than a 5 step drop out of the shotgun.
Thanks for your insight

I love what we have done so far and hope to continue through this cycle....my one worry is WR speed...although Vann and our incoming additions appear to be solid/above average route runners, after watching the tape on who we expect to contribute it seems they make great catches while covered - then if you watch Rattler's tape, his best success was throwing to WR's with steps on their coverage...concern may be too strong of a word, but I think in order for our O to be successful Satt and co will need to incorporate better routes/plays in order for our WR's to be open

Dude, our OL played fine after the BYE, they showed confusion and communication issues before that but with Douglas calling protections and Nichols holding down LT, they didn't really give up many pressures. Clemson's all NFL DL and heavily experienced LB corps, second best we faced after UGA, only had one sack with a QB that was barely even trying to go through progressions, just staring down a deep target Waiting until he made the break and throwing into double coverage. The OL shouldn't be a concern unless they forget whatever the hell they figured out by end of season.

Gonna miss Harris & White. 2 NFL prospects.
We need a rock pounder.
If they use Jaheim Bell as the 49er’s are using Deebo? He’ll be alll conference next year! Zavier Short is a freak athlete in the same mold that will get bigger and stronger with elite speed. Deondre Jackson transferred out of TAMU from Stevenson HS in Stone Mtn, Ga. 5’11” 230lbs. I’ve seen him play in person as a Junior in HS when I lived in Lawrenceville. He’s fast and ran threw arm tackles and moved the pile. He wasn’t that big then, but he was thumper! One prognosticators have him going to Nebraska. He needs to come to The USC once? And he will buy in.

Reactions: Ratheolcoach
If you were running the O how wood you utilize the talent we have. I can see it going a lot of directions.
You could easily use a two TE set with Stogner and Bell but create mismatches by moving them to different spots. Force the hand, the D will have to declare and bam. Now you’ve got a problem. Or. With the talent we have in the RB room and their ability to catch the ball I could see a 20 or 21 personnel package and some option, true RPO stuff.
honestly it’s limitless.
what are your thoughts?
I would use Bell at TE/H/FB and Slot Rec. Having that guy makes it fun to run all kinds of stuff. If the Staff spends their time wisely in the off season ( IMO ) it would be creating ways to use this human mismatch in all kinds of different ways from those positions mentioned.
Let me say first...I am accepting that AR/PR are off the table w/ Satterfield/Beamer. With that said, and what we have in place...like you said - I would run 12/22 personnel in all downs, stretch the run game and help our OL by utilizing JuJu receiving the ball out of the backfield off the fake to him (delay screen, whip, quick flat) and have a package for Doty as 'Wildcat' QB. Just having to prepare for that is a pain. I think that's one way to slow down defenses w/ Blitz and them loading up on the run like they've done the last few years due to minimal receiving speed threats. I like taking a little heat off the OL if possible , too.
Doty could 21 package some RPOs. Rattler....we will see. I hope he can....and will. I know he will be playing with an eye to the NFL though....so I'm not expecting him to play like Tebow did at UF or anything.

Reactions: Ratheolcoach
If they use Jaheim Bell as the 49er’s are using Deebo? He’ll be alll conference next year! Zavier Short is a freak athlete in the same mold that will get bigger and stronger with elite speed. Deondre Jackson transferred out of TAMU from Stevenson HS in Stone Mtn, Ga. 5’11” 230lbs. I’ve seen him play in person as a Junior in HS when I lived in Lawrenceville. He’s fast and ran threw arm tackles and moved the pile. He wasn’t that big then, but he was thumper! One prognosticators have him going to Nebraska. He needs to come to The USC once? And he will buy in.
I’m pretty sure Jackson has already committed to Nebraska.

Reactions: GamecockWarrior
I'm down with a Trai Jones package.
I like Trai Jones in the backfield for sure, but think of the mismatches of we have Bell at FB with Stogner in line and JuJu at RB, run a play then go hurry-up and split Stogner off, move Bell to a receiver and have JuJu empty in a pre-snap motion to force a traditional base set to defend a five wide with line-backers covering 3 guys in space. Hell we can even do that out of a wildcat with Spencer out wide and DK at QB with split backs and a TE. Run option out of a heavy set, go hurry up to 5-wide then go back to a traditional I where they have no idea what the hell is coming after those two gadgets.

Edit: pre-snap motion not penalty motion

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT