ADVERTISEMENT

Orth suffers injury, out for spring

If we aren't used to being physical around here, it's because the previous staff was too soft.

Agreed. I figured this would happen due to the country club style the returning players are used to. Either way wishing Orth the best. Seems like a great guy and a dedicated player.

Reactions: king ward
If we aren't used to being physical around here, it's because the previous staff was too soft.
I think our conditioning and strength was our biggest Achilles heel the past few years. Technique was also bad at certain positions.

Reactions: king ward
Agreed. I figured this would happen due to the country club style the returning players are used to. Either way wishing Orth the best. Seems like a great guy and a dedicated player.
So, Orth who was a starter for majority of last season under our OL is soft? You did watch what our QBs went through last season, correct? They're far from soft. Next, you'll be complaining about the physical practices and how we'll be starting a walk on because all our QBs are broken.

ESPN reported that he would undergo surgery, be ready to join the team in June.

That was listed in the story above that I linked. Surgery today (I said this weekend, it was this afternoon) and would be back at the beginning of June.

"The redshirt senior sustained a broken collarbone during Saturday's closed spring scrimmage and is set for surgery this weekend. He is expected to be recovered by the beginning of June."

So, Orth who was a starter for majority of last season under our OL is soft? You did watch what our QBs went through last season, correct? They're far from soft. Next, you'll be complaining about the physical practices and how we'll be starting a walk on because all our QBs are broken.
Orth is slight of build in a contact sport. There's a certain amount of fragility that usually goes with that.

Staff going live in the spring to see who steps up. Good news is Orth will be back for fall so he'll be ready. Heck, we had players hurt in the past just going through drills. Let hit each other and recover during the summer, enough with this boob bumping practices. Make them men.

Mitch was IMPRESSIVE in the scrimmage today. So was B-Mac, especially running. Offense and defense are way ahead of where they have been in the past at this time in spring practice. Pace of practice is unbelievable!

1081.gif

Hate it for Orth. Good kid that has worked hard. But the upside is that it forces them to give the reins to BM for remainder of spring. And no matter how hard Orth worked, he never will be a difference maker that one needs at QB. BM could be. If he isn't the present, and the future, at QB, we have some issues

Reactions: Clemsuck
Orth is slight of build in a contact sport. There's a certain amount of fragility that usually goes with that.
Are you kidding me? ARE YOU KIDDING ME? Did you even watch any games last year??????

Orth has weaknesses. He is short, slow and only throws to receivers that are directly in front of him. But unlike Mitch and Nunez, he was the most durable QB we had last year. He got lit up like a Christmas tree in every game, but consistently got up off the turf and went right back to work.

Orth was durable, completely unafraid, knew the playbook, had some arm strength and could actually complete a forward pass. He was one of the few players that didn't get hurt last year. Are you getting him mixed up with Mitch? He was the QB that looked like a deer in headlights and got injured in the 2nd game of the season. Then we never saw him again. Geez.

Are you kidding me? ARE YOU KIDDING ME? Did you even watch any games last year??????

Orth has weaknesses. He is short, slow and only throws to receivers that are directly in front of him. But unlike Mitch and Nunez, he was the most durable QB we had last year. He got lit up like a Christmas tree in every game, but consistently got up off the turf and went right back to work.

Orth was durable, completely unafraid, knew the playbook, had some arm strength and could actually complete a forward pass. He was one of the few players that didn't get hurt last year. Are you getting him mixed up with Mitch? He was the QB that looked like a deer in headlights and got injured in the 2nd game of the season. Then we never saw him again. Geez.
Why was it Orth who got hurt in practice, then?

Last edited:
Ellis' philosophies worked so well during his head coaching opportunities. 17-40 record when he was running his own show.
But he brought us the best defenses we've had during our SEC era. I put more stock in that since that's all that matters to us. But it only came after the talent got better and the practices during his time got more physical.

Why was it Orth who got hurt in practice, then?

Why wasn't he hurt in all the games he played in last season? Real game, real time, and under duress constantly from our poor o-line play. So, maybe it's a freak accident and injury and not that he's soft? Did you see the state of Mitch's body after his injuries last season? Guess, he was soft as well? Your iron sharpening iron mentality and thinking our QBs were and are soft is laughable.

Why wasn't he hurt in all the games he played in last season? Real game, real time, and under duress constantly from our poor o-line play. So, maybe it's a freak accident and injury and not that he's soft? Did you see the state of Mitch's body after his injuries last season? Guess, he was soft as well? Your iron sharpening iron mentality and thinking our QBs were and are soft is laughable.
Orth's a good kid, a sharp kid. A physical specimen, he isn't. He's fragile. He's also not laughing right now.

Strength and conditioning have nothing to do with a broken collarbone. That kind of injury on a QB results from getting sacked hard and landing squarely on that shoulder or getting hit hard under that shoulder while throwing... but probably more like the first.

What it means is that this staff expects them to play hard in practice - at the risk of getting injured. I sure as heck wouldn't want to against an SEC defense for 8 straight months, but that's what looks like is happening.

Seems every time we are deep at a position we get the injury bug. We will need 3 QBs to get through the season.

Orth is not slow. Watch him outrun the A&M 5* safeties:

The ONLY thing Orth has against him is that he is a former walk-on. If he was a 4* recruit everyone would be satisfied with his performance. But add "former-walk-on" and people can then hide behind that fact... when we lose to Clemson for the 2nd year in a row... when we finish last in the SEC... when a kid who has worked harder than anyone else on the team just to be where he is, gets injured. All of a sudden he's too slow. Or he's "fragile". Did any of his detractors even watch a game last year? He was far from perfect, but he was far better than the other guys (although we never saw Scarnecchia). My gosh. He gets injured in practice and it's his fault?!? Wow!

The ONLY thing Orth has against him is that he is a former walk-on. If he was a 4* recruit everyone would be satisfied with his performance. But add "former-walk-on" and people can then hide behind that fact... when we lose to Clemson for the 2nd year in a row... when we finish last in the SEC... when a kid who has worked harder than anyone else on the team just to be where he is, gets injured. All of a sudden he's too slow. Or he's "fragile". Did any of his detractors even watch a game last year? He was far from perfect, but he was far better than the other guys (although we never saw Scarnecchia). My gosh. He gets injured in practice and it's his fault?!? Wow!
Nobody blames Orth for his physical limitations, which largely account for the fact he was a walk-on. But a person has to be really intransigent to refuse to recognize those limitations.

Nobody blames Orth for his physical limitations, which largely account for the fact he was a walk-on. But a person has to be really intransigent to refuse to recognize those limitations.
I don't think people are overlooking those limitations, but one of those limitations isn't fragility. His size and speed may have kept him from rating out at 4*, but the kid did beat out 1 other 4* kid (Nunez) for the outright starting job and was in a platoon with another 4* (Mitch) who didn't even come back after he was all healed up from injury. Both Nunez and Mitch missed significant playing time due to injury. Orth did not. People can't let go of the fact that he was a walk-on... and they call it out every time Orth does something wrong or - now - when he gets hurt. The point is... people should be upset if the starting qb got hurt. Instead people seem relieved and blame his injury on his status as former walk-on. As if the 2 are related.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT