ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Another smoking thread

PerchedOnRings

Oct 1, 2001
Having had a fastastically-successful Boston Butt, I'm thinking about smoking a mess of chicken quarters tomorrow. Nothing I've ever done. I'll google some recipes and directions, but I wondered if you guys had any recommendations - rub, temp, time, or otherwise.

Reactions: jroller
Brine overnight first to insure flavor throughout the meat and to prevent drying out. Gallon of water, 1/2 cup salt, 1 cup brown sugar. Remove from the brine, rinse and pat dry. Season with your favorite rub or seasoning salt. Also, throw some eggs on your smoker. Wash the eggs with warm water to remove the natural cuticle and allow more smoke penetration. About 2 hours and you'll have hard boiled.

Having had a fastastically-successful Boston Butt, I'm thinking about smoking a mess of chicken quarters tomorrow. Nothing I've ever done. I'll google some recipes and directions, but I wondered if you guys had any recommendations - rub, temp, time, or otherwise.
As a guy who Smokes many Boston Butts, I would like to recommend the Smoker I use.
It could not be easier! Put whatever Rub you like on the Butt. I put the fat side down. Will not dry the meat out at all. It's a closed system. No water needed in the Pan. Just use a handful of very small pieces of wet wood, set the Temp at 225, and forget it for 7 or 8 hours. Produces tender and nearly fat free Butts. I guarantee anyone who gets one will love it. I have no investment in this Smoker. I just want to share with others. https://www.oldsmokey.com/products/electric-smoker?variant=350587737

One of my favorite chicken rubs available, is MONTREAL Chicken by McKormics. For quarters, go indirect at 250-275 for a couple hours until done. If crispy skin is desired, leave the chicken in the frig overnight exposed. Same with wings (for crispyness). The indirect will give you a juicy finish with a crispy skin. Enjoy!

On the smoke side, your sweeter woods (fruit) like cherry, peach, apple etc....add a nice flavor. Mesquite is good but comes with a warning. The mesquite will turn the meat pink. Note this is different from uncooked chicken. Use a thermomentor to temp you chicken always (165).

I quit smoking chicken. Hot is better. I started using the vortex on my Weber kettle. Max temp, put wings on, crispy and good. Takes about 45 minutes or so to cook.

OK, here's some bbq heresy for you. Yesterday, I dropped a butt and two racks of ribs into my sous vide at 167 degrees. Butt went 19 hours, ribs 13. The beauty of sous vide is meat cooks at the temp it needs to cook at completely unattended and it does so in its own juices. 167 you say. It has to get to 195. No it doesn't. At 167 for 6 hours minimum, collagen breaks down and that's where you get pulled pork from. 195 is just where you end up 6 hours or so after 167. 195 does not aid the process. It's a byproduct. Remove from the bags, pat dry, add some rub to replace any that washed away and aid bark production. Finished for 2 hours on the digital smoker with Jack Daniel's chips at 275. Great bark, crazy tender and juicy. Absolutely fantastic. And everything was ready at a predetermined time. This is how I smoke now. Flame away French-cooking-technique-hating purists. PS. You could sous vide up to a week in advance, take to your tailgate and smoke the last 2 hours on your grill. Beats getting to your tailgate spot 14 hours before feeding time.

Reactions: jroller
Busha Browne Jamaican jerk wet seasoning & evoo. Rub it down 1-24 hrs, smoke with hickory at 275-300 for couple hours. You won’t regret it!

OK, here's some bbq heresy for you. Yesterday, I dropped a butt and two racks of ribs into my sous vide at 167 degrees. Butt went 19 hours, ribs 13. The beauty of sous vide is meat cooks at the temp it needs to cook at completely unattended and it does so in its own juices. 167 you say. It has to get to 195. No it doesn't. At 167 for 6 hours minimum, collagen breaks down and that's where you get pulled pork from. 195 is just where you end up 6 hours or so after 167. 195 does not aid the process. It's a byproduct. Remove from the bags, pat dry, add some rub to replace any that washed away and aid bark production. Finished for 2 hours on the digital smoker with Jack Daniel's chips at 275. Great bark, crazy tender and juicy. Absolutely fantastic. And everything was ready at a predetermined time. This is how I smoke now. Flame away French-cooking-technique-hating purists. PS. You could sous vide up to a week in advance, take to your tailgate and smoke the last 2 hours on your grill. Beats getting to your tailgate spot 14 hours before feeding time.

195 seems to be the magic number in my masterbuilt... i have been in a hurry after buts stalled and pulled then like after 14 hours,, and they were only 185 inside,,,, the meat did not fall apart and fall from the bone line it does at 195..
Haven’t made that mistake again....

195 seems to be the magic number in my masterbuilt... i have been in a hurry after buts stalled and pulled then like after 14 hours,, and they were only 185 inside,,,, the meat did not fall apart and fall from the bone line it does at 195..
Haven’t made that mistake again....
Me too. What I learned today was you don't have to ever hit 195. You just have to hold at or above 167 for 6+ hours. I realize not everyone will sous vide but I enjoyed the Alton Brown-like science experiment that made the best Q I've smoked. Fam agrees. And I too have the Masterbuilt. It just has a different job going forward.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT