ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Any of you people have any experience with Zoloft or know anyone who does?

Bad seed

Oct 17, 2018
I was prescribed Zoloft for panic attacks/anxiety and was wondering if any of you have any personal experience with the medication or know anyone that does. Did it help? Side effects? Anything you'd like to share.

For anyone looking to chime in with smarmy comments, I'm not seeking medical advice on FGF. I've already gotten that advice from my doctor.

Ummm, you really should talk to your doctor about this and not ask about strangers on a football forum for their medical opinion.

(That's me being the guy who doesn't bother reading the OP before giving my brilliantly uninformed opinion)

Reactions: Harvard Gamecock
Doctor's don't generally have real life experience with drugs like this.

I took Zoloft and Klonopin for anxiety/panic/depression issues during a nasty divorce 20 years ago. I had to stop taking Zoloft because I developed a problem swallowing. (rare side effect I was told) The Klonopin helped the anxiety more than Zoloft.

Reactions: Bad seed
I have found that the demons of “woe is me something ad gonna happen” have completely gone away since I’ve been on Z
Life changer for me-I don’t mind sharing my personal experience with a brother as life is a game

Thank you. How long did it take you to see a difference? Any side effects? This has to work for me.

It is a SSRI so be sure not to stop taking it cold turkey. Ask about the dosage amount and it’s half life. Tapering off it slowly is critical otherwise it can put you in a manic state. I had a family member where this occurred.

I was prescribed Zoloft for panic attacks/anxiety and was wondering if any of you have any personal experience with the medication or know anyone that does. Did it help? Side effects? Anything you'd like to share.

For anyone looking to chime in with smarmy comments, I'm not seeking medical advice on FGF. I've already gotten that advice from my doctor.
SSRI's impact peoples bodies differently. It really is a matter of trying to find out what works for your body. There are other options out there if Zoloft does not work for you, but you have to give it a try and you have to do it in the right way. I agree with the other post: Do not quit cold turkey if you don' think it will work for you. It typically takes a few weeks on an SSRI to see half its impact and weeks more to see full impact. You must be patient and know you will find something that works.

Anxiety can feel like a monster and a completely lonely experience. Make sure you learn self-soothing techniques while you wait for the meds to do their job. Slowing breathing, relaxation, etc. will not make it go away (obviously) but they are necessary tools for anyone that struggles with panic and anxiety.

Also, you should be talking to trustworthy friends, family, counselor, etc. Our brains were created to share and confide in other brains.

My compassion and support to you, bro!

not sure if this helps you or not, but i’ve been on atenolol for a few years now. it’s a beta blocker. lowers blood pressure and mitigates anxiety attacks. which are different from full blown panic attacks. i’ve found after many years of darting out of restaurants, church, and other social activities, that the beta blocker helps alot. same day results. but having said that. you still need to work on the trust. i can still have panic attacks without anxiety attacks. but the panic attacks are now controllable with the correct mindset. i’m not down and out shivering in fear for the next several hours plus the next few days of depression. more like five minutes of “let’s pull this shit together”. that feeling of when “someone scares the f**k out of you as joke” but noones actually there, is completely gone. again it goes back to dealing with the underlying causes. therapists can only do so much. what really helped me for the fight or flight response, which for me changes to different physical experiences each time you have a big one, is realizing that I don’t control what I truly want/believe I control. I needed to adopt patience, go with the flow. and finally love myself, whether or not myself need some adjustments here and there. commit to yourself first. make your own expectations. if that falls short of others, too effin bad.

I've had good results with celexa. Good luck and way to take control of your mental health. It needs to be discussed more.
It took it for several years to address work-related stress. It was very effective. I could not have been more mellow. It made my job tolerable. It also made premature ejaculation unlikely if not impossible.

I took Zoloft for a while for anxiety and depression and absolutely hated it. It made me jittery and nervous and had some not so great side effects. I take Effexor now and it works much better for me.

It is a SSRI so be sure not to stop taking it cold turkey. Ask about the dosage amount and it’s half life. Tapering off it slowly is critical otherwise it can put you in a manic state. I had a family member where this occurred.

I made this mistake. It made me very quick tempered and I wasn’t able to eat anything without wanting to puke. I had no appetite at all. I think I went from 190 to 160 in no time. Not a good experience.

SSRI's impact peoples bodies differently. It really is a matter of trying to find out what works for your body. There are other options out there if Zoloft does not work for you, but you have to give it a try and you have to do it in the right way. I agree with the other post: Do not quit cold turkey if you don' think it will work for you. It typically takes a few weeks on an SSRI to see half its impact and weeks more to see full impact. You must be patient and know you will find something that works.

Anxiety can feel like a monster and a completely lonely experience. Make sure you learn self-soothing techniques while you wait for the meds to do their job. Slowing breathing, relaxation, etc. will not make it go away (obviously) but they are necessary tools for anyone that struggles with panic and anxiety.

Also, you should be talking to trustworthy friends, family, counselor, etc. Our brains were created to share and confide in other brains.

My compassion and support to you, bro!
Yup. Zoloft did nothing for me. The doc moved me to Cymbalta and I no longer have panic attacks. Completely depends on each person's chemical make up.

I took it about 7 weeks and it caused severe burning sensations in my legs, headaches, and some other issues. The burning is a symptom but not in too many people. I tried several different medicines, and finally ended up with one that doesn't cause any side effects to me. My doctor said to not suffer on any anti-depressant if it is causing unmanageable side effects, he said there are a huge number of these meds out there, and they can almost always find the right one for each individual. everyone is different.

I have taken it for years and years for anxiety. It’s been a miracle drug for me. It doesn’t make me high or jittery, just calmer and even keel. Only side effect I have is it makes my mouth dry. No big deal. I applaud you for seeking help and sharing. Best of luck to you.

It works. Patience at first. Give it three weeks at least and then enjoy the clouds lifting. Life changing.

I took Zoloft Several Years ago I experienced Dry Mouth, Severe Irritability, etc.

But what doesn't work for one person can work for another.

Unfortunately, Doctors and yourself don't know how your body is going to respond to a particular drug.

You have to find what works for you.

Sometimes you have to weigh the side effects of a med with its effectiveness.

I have had several panic attacks before.

They are overwhelming. You are being wise, by accepting you need something to help you with them.

Great attitude and a way to take care of your mental health.
ed

Thanks for all the replies, y'all. I hate to air this kind of stuff here, but I'm a bit of a chicken when it comes to medication. And to be honest, I was looking for some encouraging words, so I appreciate that. This has been going on for years now and has more or less made me a prisoner, with an occasional furlough to the store near my house. I used to go to every football game, home and away. The last game I attended was the 2014 tater game. I used to travel quite a bit, but I haven't been more than 30 miles from my house in almost six years, and no further than 10 miles in the past year and a half. After I've taken this awhile I am going to post an update with, hopefully, good news.

not sure if this helps you or not, but i’ve been on atenolol for a few years now. it’s a beta blocker. lowers blood pressure and mitigates anxiety attacks. which are different from full blown panic attacks. i’ve found after many years of darting out of restaurants, church, and other social activities, that the beta blocker helps alot. same day results. but having said that. you still need to work on the trust. i can still have panic attacks without anxiety attacks. but the panic attacks are now controllable with the correct mindset. i’m not down and out shivering in fear for the next several hours plus the next few days of depression. more like five minutes of “let’s pull this shit together”. that feeling of when “someone scares the f**k out of you as joke” but noones actually there, is completely gone. again it goes back to dealing with the underlying causes. therapists can only do so much. what really helped me for the fight or flight response, which for me changes to different physical experiences each time you have a big one, is realizing that I don’t control what I truly want/believe I control. I needed to adopt patience, go with the flow. and finally love myself, whether or not myself need some adjustments here and there. commit to yourself first. make your own expectations. if that falls short of others, too effin bad.
Great response. I remember having the feeling, "I need to get the hell out of here ..." It sucks. I still don't handle surprises as well I'd like to, but there is no doubt that meds and self talk can help. "Mindfulness" and "radical acceptance" are two very good techniques.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT