ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Anybody know anything about Claire Tower and Cornell Arms apartments in Columbia?

jsusc

Aug 12, 2004
A friend of mine has a daughter transferring from USC-Upstate to Columbia starting in the fall semester and she seems to like what she sees of these places online. He asked me what I knew, but I've only seen them from the outside, so I have no idea. Are they seedy? Decent? I know they're not fancy, even without going inside.

Both are pretty dated but bargain priced for downtown. Mostly popular with international students, grad students, and those type who don't care about luxury and just want something affordable near campus. I think the units at Cornell Arms are bigger than Claire Tower. Cornell Arms has all utilities included, don't know about Claire Tower. Cornell Arms charges separate for a parking space. Long story short, they won't like it if they're "fancy" but might love it if they're ok with smaller/older.

Two other buildings I'd look at same area are Hampton House Apartments (managed by Cantey) and Senate Plaza.

Both are pretty dated but bargain priced for downtown. Mostly popular with international students, grad students, and those type who don't care about luxury and just want something affordable near campus. I think the units at Cornell Arms are bigger than Claire Tower. Cornell Arms has all utilities included, don't know about Claire Tower. Cornell Arms charges separate for a parking space. Long story short, they won't like it if they're "fancy" but might love it if they're ok with smaller/older.

Two other buildings I'd look at same area are Hampton House Apartments (managed by Cantey) and Senate Plaza.
I lived there (Hampton House) after college. At the time they were managed by a friend of the family. Really enjoyed it. I had a ground floor unit (not street side) that opened up to a nice little stoop and grassy area. Being not street side made it more private.

I used to take nightly walks all through campus, to University Hill, down through 5 Points and back up Laurens/Gregg Streets in the Spring and Summer. Of course, that was 20+ years ago. Would probably take the 5 Points part out of it now.

I lived there (Hampton House) after college. At the time they were managed by a friend of the family. Really enjoyed it. I had a ground floor unit (not street side) that opened up to a nice little stoop and grassy area. Being not street side made it more private.

I used to take nightly walks all through campus, to University Hill, down through 5 Points and back up Laurens/Gregg Streets in the Spring and Summer. Of course, that was 20+ years ago. Would probably take the 5 Points part out of it now.
Just spent 5 years living there myself. 2015-2020

It has an Art-Deco-gone-to-ruin feel about it. I didn’t think it was awful when I was visiting as a student (that was 30 years ago, though, so it may have been in better shape.)

I was in 2 different apartments over the summer, though. It’s definitely not somewhere I’d want to live with my family...but if I was slumming it alone, I could do worse.

Thanks to all of you for sharing your thoughts on this. I'll pass all of it along.

A friend of mine has a daughter transferring from USC-Upstate to Columbia starting in the fall semester and she seems to like what she sees of these places online. He asked me what I knew, but I've only seen them from the outside, so I have no idea. Are they seedy? Decent? I know they're not fancy, even without going inside.
Smoked some pot up on the Cornell Arms roof some 45 years ago if that helps.....

Had a buddy live in Cornell- saw a security guard there shoot a guy dead out front one day. I think he caught a murder rap. He was not supposed to have a gun... the place is dated and kinda grimy inside. Horrible parking.

Reactions: Gamecockben1979
I had a friend who lived in Claire Tower back in the 80's. I am going to assume there has been remodeling done since then...I remember it being super small...great location though...Good Luck!!!

For some reason, I think Lizards Thicket took space on the bottom floor..Could be wrong about that...It's been that many years...LOL

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT