ADVERTISEMENT

OT Anyone doing intermittent fasting

I couldn't do it long term. I did it for 7 weeks and lost 13 lbs. I've now gone to just watching my calorie intake and laying off the beer during the week. The Keto diet was a good choice for me personally but like I said couldn't do it long term...

Sorry...didn't mean to suggest that was a choice you personally shouldn't make. Just in general, I don't think it is a good long-term choice for anyone, but I think you have proven it can be a short-term solution for some.

I do low carb/no carb, and bounce in an out of ketosis. It works well with intermittent fasting. I've been doing it for years, and I love the benefits of burning fat for fuel. Bloodwork has been much better since starting it, as well as blood pressure.

I did not know the acronyms. Is this correct?

YW Young Women
WW Weight Watchers

I do low carb/no carb, and bounce in an out of ketosis. It works well with intermittent fasting. I've been doing it for years, and I love the benefits of burning fat for fuel. Bloodwork has been much better since starting it, as well as blood pressure.
I was curious about the blood work. I go in 2 weeks for my annual and will be interesting to see my cholesterol levels. I've been consistently around 150-160 over the last 3 years. Wasn't sure of all the freaking bacon I've been eating will increase it.

This seems logical to me. Also, speaking the evolutionary spectrum that formed the being we are today, it seems logical that we didn't eat much in the way of meat on a regular basis, particularly prior to the Stone Age, when we began to create crude weapons. Simple logic tells you it would be both time and calorie-consuming trying to catch/kill an animal who doesn't want to die. Had to be a sporadic part of the diet for the large majority of our evolution. Plants don't move. They are easy to catch. Plus, our body is clearly more herbivore, lacking sharp teeth, dramatic speed, or built in weapons claws. Plus, our digestive tract is much more like an herbivore than a carnivore. Seems logical to me that we evolved to primarily eat plants supplemented with occasional meat products, but not dependent upon them.

Yep, mostly plants w/ small amounts of meat to cover B-vits and Vitamin A. Also, one of the big differences is that when they ate meat, they ate nose-to-tail - organs, heart, etc. Today, most simply eat the muscle meat, hence no collagen, dense nutrients, etc.

Plants don't move but they have their own defense systems. Most are better digested via steaming vs. eating raw.

Seafood - particularly oysters/shrimp/salmon - are excellent options as well. Oysters are nutritional powerhouses.

Reactions: jroller
I was curious about the blood work. I go in 2 weeks for my annual and will be interesting to see my cholesterol levels. I've been consistently around 150-160 over the last 3 years. Wasn't sure of all the freaking bacon I've been eating will increase it.

I had the same apprehension, so I had mine checked every few months. My LDL never got above 100... But also I don't do as much bacon as I did in the beginning. A lot of avocados, olive oil, fish, chicken.... lean meats.

Sorry...didn't mean to suggest that was a choice you personally shouldn't make. Just in general, I don't think it is a good long-term choice for anyone, but I think you have proven it can be a short-term solution for some.

Nutritional Ketosis is great for some but you eventually have to do some carb backloading for (gut) mucin production. Otherwise, allergies and other issues can crop up.

Just wanted to thank you guys for inspiring me to try this. 8 days in and I’m already down a few pounds that I can tell is not just water weight. Actually, the first several days I gained a good bit of water weight I think from the “shock” of the change but one night that all flushed out and it seems fairly steady since. I’m not doing low carb which I know reduces glycogen and water.

Best part is that it has been really easy to incorporate into my ordinary day. Basically I don’t eat after midnight or before noon and consider it “bonus points” if I can stretch out the no calorie window, exercise, and/or eat relatively clean when I do eat. It’s like a daily challenge that once you meet it you can relax versus having to always be “on” with regular diets, but inevitably fail. I should have tried this sooner but thanks to you guys for getting me to give it a shot.

Reactions: king ward
Just wanted to thank you guys for inspiring me to try this. 8 days in and I’m already down a few pounds that I can tell is not just water weight. Actually, the first several days I gained a good bit of water weight I think from the “shock” of the change but one night that all flushed out and it seems fairly steady since. I’m not doing low carb which I know reduces glycogen and water.

Best part is that it has been really easy to incorporate into my ordinary day. Basically I don’t eat after midnight or before noon and consider it “bonus points” if I can stretch out the no calorie window, exercise, and/or eat relatively clean when I do eat. It’s like a daily challenge that once you meet it you can relax versus having to always be “on” with regular diets, but inevitably fail. I should have tried this sooner but thanks to you guys for getting me to give it a shot.

I found the same thing. Down about 15 pounds but have cheated a few times and weight has leveled off. I’ll keep going. Hunger not that bad. Good luck and glad you are finding success. You actually don’t have to spend any money compared to some diet plans. BTW, my motivation was to get off one of my diabetes medications that may allow me to get my Second Class medical so I can fly with a commercial FAA rating. We’ll see.

Reactions: king ward
I lost 25 pounds in 2 months but it did not help me cut cholesterol which was my ultimate goal.
Yep....I tried to lower mine years ago with a very strict diet and couldn't get it below 200. I was not overweight.

Sometimes our bodies produce too much cholesterol regardless of diet/exercise.

So I did Keto for 6 months and lost almost 30lbs . Ate a lot of bacon and pork skins to offset my chip addiction . Here’s the problem ... as soon as I started keto I began to get extremely bad dizzy spells . Almost to the point of failing just while walking around or at work . Also my workouts went to s@&t. I literally couldn’t stay in the gym without being totally exhausted. I’ve since quit Keto and put on a few extra pounds but the dizziness is gone as well as the low level energy . It definitely works for dropping weight but there are trade offs .

So I did Keto for 6 months and lost almost 30lbs . Ate a lot of bacon and pork skins to offset my chip addiction . Here’s the problem ... as soon as I started keto I began to get extremely bad dizzy spells . Almost to the point of failing just while walking around or at work . Also my workouts went to s@&t. I literally couldn’t stay in the gym without being totally exhausted. I’ve since quit Keto and put on a few extra pounds but the dizziness is gone as well as the low level energy . It definitely works for dropping weight but there are trade offs .

Thanks for the post. I’ve been getting dizzy too. Good to know.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT