ADVERTISEMENT

OT . . . anyone here traveled to Italy recently?

rockingamecock

Aug 28, 2001
Soda City
We'll finally be checking off "bucket list item #1" and going in September....a week in Rome and a week in Sorrento and the Amalfi coast. I know there are thousands of options but I'd appreciate any recommendations on favorite restaurants you may have visited. Thanks in advance.

I just got back from Bellagio, Lake Como and it was great. But you are a little away from that area, which is Milan, and will enjoy all of those spots you are visiting.

We spent a week in Venice last August. I am glad we saw it but it was brutally hot and humid and hardly any AC there. If we ever go back it will be later in the season.

You really can't go wrong, and your hotel will have great recommendations based on what you desire.

I highly recommend that you spend some time in Florence. We enjoyed it more than Rome.

Taking French cooking class in the Honors College right now.....headed there tomorrow for 2 weeks. College is tough these days.

https://www.ricksteves.com/watch-read-listen/video/travel-talks/rome

I find these Rick Steves travel videos interesting. I'm sure you will have a great time. Italy has much to see and experience.

Careful when ordering pizza. I'm sure the other poster's pizza recommendation is legit. I say be careful because we had lunch at a sidewalk cafe near The Vatican, I mentioned pizza, my wife wisely cautioned me, the waiter said, "sure, we have pizza, do you like sausage?", I said yes, and ended up with a cheese pizza with three hot dogs sliced lengthwise on top. It was hilarious, makes for a pretty good story, not very yummy though.

Enjoy your trip!

Last edited:
You’ll love it. I love going there.

You’ll find lots of great restaurants. The hotel can help guide you.

I was least impressed with Rome.

Loved Florence the most.

Vatican was awesome.

Venice is very interesting. It was hot when I last went in July.

Try to go to Capri if possible.

Finally, eat gelato whenever possible.

Last edited:
If I could go to one place, it’d be Florence. Worth paying a tour guide. Also, need to make advance reservations for museums. Can’t just show up and expect to be admitted.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT