ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Best Holes in Golf

Carolina4

Oct 9, 2006
Coming up on the US Open at Pebble next week and thinking of some of the best holes in golf. Certainly #7 at Pebble has to be one of the best Par 3’s. Fun hole, elevated tee, amazing scenery.
7th-Hole-Pebble-Beach-Golf-Links-StkPB119Pa-ES-991x500.jpg

Reactions: jimnasium
Always wanted to play this hole too. To me it looks better than 17 at Sawgrass. The green literally floats. A true island green in which the group has to take a ferry over. The Coeur d’Alene Resort in Washington.
Coeur%20d%27alene%20Resort%20Golf%20Course_1495128100517_9493745_ver1.0.png

Reactions: Art__Vandelay
My favorite hole at Augusta is actually #13.
f3457b5c3e3bc2c6c1a229719c53dc72.jpg

The most pivotal hole at Augusta, in my opinion, is #15.
04_big.jpg

#12 is definitely the loneliest place in golf once across the bridge.
1491323226043.jpg

#17 at Sawgrass Par 3, 137 yds island green

#17 at The Ocean Course Par 3 229 yards

I liked 14 better than 17. First hole turning back against the beach. Unique with the elevated green. Of course I always played 17 poorly, so that may factor into it! Such a great course.

Amazing view. The 234 yardage loses points for me for best hole though. No Par 3 should ever be that long. Cypress point looks amazing.
Well, that guy was able to birdie it, or so he said. So it must be doable. The experts place it - and the par-4 17th - right up there with any two-hole stretch in golf - some say the best. That little 15th hole is outstanding also. Here's a better look at the entire experience.

Reactions: Carolina4

04_big.jpg

1491323226043.jpg
I think #13 is a wonderful hole - probably the best hole there and certainly the most beautiful. But sadly, they are going to have to bite the bullet and lengthen it. They now have the property to do it. Actually, they wouldn't have to lengthen it much as long as they also move the tee to the golfer's left enough to sharpen the dogleg. The governing bodies aren't going to do anything meaningful to roll back distance - and even if they did, pros were hitting drives more than 300 yards with the smaller-headed drivers from around 2000. It's past time to return this hole to being a great risk/reward hole.

TaylorMade really tamed #13 at Augusta but it is still the greatest hole in golf to me.

Instead of moving the tee box back further, they need to tighten the fairway.

Number 17 at Charwood. Or has that been bulldozed?

Seriously I think the famous postage stamp green at Troon would be fun to play. Probably wouldn't even lose a ball.

Best Par 3s I’ve ever played:
1) Every Par 3 at Pine Valley
2) #7 and #17 at Pebble Beach
3) #17 at Sawgrass
4) #17 at the Ocean Course
5) #17 at Kiawah Ocean Course
6) #14 at Muirfield Village
7) #2 at Sage Valley
8) #17 at PGA West (Alcatraz)
9) #16 at TPC Scottsdale (boring hole but awesome with the stadium and even more awesome I assume with the crowds)

Favorite holes I’ve ever played:
1) #2 at Pine Valley
2) #18 at Pine Valley
3) #8 at Pebble Beach
4) #6 at Pebble Beach
5) #18 at Sawgrass

Best Par 3s I’ve ever played:
1) Every Par 3 at Pine Valley
2) #7 and #17 at Pebble Beach
3) #17 at Sawgrass
4) #17 at the Ocean Course
5) #17 at Kiawah Ocean Course
6) #14 at Muirfield Village
7) #2 at Sage Valley
8) #17 at PGA West (Alcatraz)
9) #16 at TPC Scottsdale (boring hole but awesome with the stadium and even more awesome I assume with the crowds)

Favorite holes I’ve ever played:
1) #2 at Pine Valley
2) #18 at Pine Valley
3) #8 at Pebble Beach
4) #6 at Pebble Beach
5) #18 at Sawgrass
Your 4) at the top - which Ocean Course is that?

So you liked so we'll you listed it twice?
Oops - i was adding lines for holes that I missed and forgot to delete the duplicate. But I will replace it with #17 at the Ocean Course at Cabo Del Sol. Outstanding par 3 that I probably should’ve included.

Reactions: king ward
@cock

04_big.jpg

1491323226043.jpg
Let me add “The Road Hole”, 17th at the Old Course @ St Andrews.
Tee shot over the hotel. Pot bunkers. Road that’s in play. Give me a double for sure...
KM-PORTFOLIO-ST-ANDREWS-OLD-17-BANNER.jpg

Agree with all these. 12-16 at Augusta on Sunday is one of my favorite hours in sports. All of them aren iconic/intriguing and just beautiful.

17 at Old Course is great as well. The view coming back to the R&A and all those iconic buildings is unreal. I’ve walked course but never played it.

Reactions: Carolina4
TaylorMade really tamed #13 at Augusta but it is still the greatest hole in golf to me.

Instead of moving the tee box back further, they need to tighten the fairway.
They bought the extra land. Now they need to use it.

They sure did and a friend of mine will probably be the architect hired to redesign the hole one way or another. I just think tightening up the fairway would be a better move. I'd also do something to discourage hitting the ball in the pines on the right hand side of the fairway.

They sure did and a friend of mine will probably be the architect hired to redesign the hole one way or another. I just think tightening up the fairway would be a better move. I'd also do something to discourage hitting the ball in the pines on the right hand side of the fairway.
When people have as little as nine-irons going into there and it's supposed to be a risk/reward hole, a par-five, you have to lengthen it. Augusta could grow the second cut in, but philosophically speaking, they never are going to have primary rough, and they shouldn't. The geography is going to have to change.

Reactions: Orange Valley
As much as I loved #7 at Pebble, the best shot is the 2nd on the 8th hole. The green looks like it’s a mile away standing on that elevated fairway. Not much room to miss right. Seals everywhere.
PB-H08-409-AE.jpg

Reactions: Sending an SOS
My favorite is the 17th at Quail Hollow in Charlotte. I'm a little biased here though. I was able to attend the PGA tournament here a few times and this hole was so fun to set up a chair by the green and watch from up close. Par 3 over a water hazard. Got to see Tiger Woods cuss himself out under his breath after making double bogey, good times.

IMG_0388.jpg

This hole - #2 at Pine Valley. More sand than grass, and every shot is penal if you miss. Oh yeah, the green is impossible too.

Never played a harder course in my life, and I’ve played a ton of difficult courses including Kiawah.

IMG_0388.jpg

This hole - #2 at Pine Valley. More sand than grass, and every shot is penal if you miss. Oh yeah, the green is impossible too.

Never played a harder course in my life, and I’ve played a ton of difficult courses including Kiawah.
Frankly, although I appreciate the reputation, lore, and greatness of Pine Valley, I've come to the point in life where I just can't play golf knowing I'm going to be beaten up by the course. I do envy you for having played so many outstanding courses. How have you been able to access so many different places - some of them ultra-private?

How is Pinetuck? I used to play there often with the other Bowater guys, but it has been years.
i havent played there in over 2 years, And it is about 2 miles from my house. i need to check it out.. You play with C.G. (from bowater)?? he is an old buddy of mine. They sold ALL The land around Pinetuck, but that developer didnt buy the course. I heard a "Group" that owns some other courses were gonna buy it..

i havent played there in over 2 years, And it is about 2 miles from my house. i need to check it out.. You play with C.G. (from bowater)?? he is an old buddy of mine. They sold ALL The land around Pinetuck, but that developer didnt buy the course. I heard a "Group" that owns some other courses were gonna buy it..
It's really a pretty good course for the working class golfer - depending on conditions. Bowater people used to get a little discount and it was easy to get in a round after day shift. I enjoyed those days, but sadly, they are long past.

15th @ Black Diamond in Lecanta, Florida. These are quarry holes and the picture is taken from the tee box. The elevation change is way more dramatic that the picture indicates. You can literally hit the ball, step back and have time to admire as the ball drops all the way down to the fairway (or snap hooked in the water). By far one of the best courses, and holes I’ve played.
5551154301_487af684c9_o.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT