ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Brisket

Just wrapped it; looking good but don't want to jinx it.
Hope it turns out well for you! Just remember to let it rest, preferably 2 hours or more.

So many methods to cook brisket. My dad and I don't cook them quite the same way, but his is good and so is mine. Find a way that works for you and stick with it.

Reactions: Jbouton2
I will be tarred and feathered for being nontraditional but I sous vide my brisket for 24 hours at 155, rest in the sous vide bag overnight, bring to room temp the next day and then smoke over Texas post oak for 3-4 hours depending on the size. If I tell you the brisket will be done at noon it will be done at noon. And it will be juicy and tender. Point cut, salt and pepper only. The science is here: https://www.seriouseats.com/sous-vide-barbecue-smoked-bbq-brisket-texas-recipe And this hatch chili corn pudding is as good a side as you'll get. https://www.cbsnews.com/news/the-di...s-charleston-south-carolina-barbecue-recipes/

Reactions: Ratheolcoach
I will be tarred and feathered for being nontraditional but I sous vide my brisket for 24 hours at 155, rest in the sous vide bag overnight, bring to room temp the next day and then smoke over Texas post oak for 3-4 hours depending on the size. If I tell you the brisket will be done at noon it will be done at noon. And it will be juicy and tender. Point cut, salt and pepper only. The science is here: https://www.seriouseats.com/sous-vide-barbecue-smoked-bbq-brisket-texas-recipe And this hatch chili corn pudding is as good a side as you'll get. https://www.cbsnews.com/news/the-di...s-charleston-south-carolina-barbecue-recipes/
You probably boil your ribs too 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 85alum# and Dizzy01
why would seasoning that’s been cooking on the meat for 4-8+ hours wash off? That doesn’t even make any sense. The rendered fat absolutely drains and saturates through the meat. The meat is porous, it’s not like a round nut or something with a hard impenetrable outer shell.
Rub doesn’t stick to fat. That’s why trimming is necessary on all meats. Fat doesn’t drizzle down into the meat on pork either. I know people think it does…it just doesn’t.

Some of these guys on TV kill me. Such experts. I've eaten my neighbor Cleves Que that's as good as any. Mine included

Ha. I’ll listen to the guys who have won world championships that say it doesn’t. This is their career / life’s work. The belief that it does is for amateurs on YouTube trying to get subscribers.

you need to listen to somebody on tv to override common sense?? You wrap the butt at around 160 and it still has a cap. You remove it at around 200 and the cap is gone. The fat didn’t drain into the foil because the foil is dry as a bone. You can believe fat magically evaporated out of the unvented foil, but that didn’t happen either because again- the foil is unvented and dry. The meat however is extremely moist. So you can go with the “I’ll believe some guy on tv” line of bs all you want, but I’ve been cooking meat long enough to believe my own lying eyes…the fat absolutely drains into the meat

you need to listen to somebody on tv to override common sense?? You wrap the butt at around 160 and it still has a cap. You remove it at around 200 and the cap is gone. The fat didn’t drain into the foil because the foil is dry as a bone. You can believe fat magically evaporated out of the unvented foil, but that didn’t happen either because again- the foil is unvented and dry. The meat however is extremely moist. So you can go with the “I’ll believe some guy on tv” line of bs all you want, but I’ve been cooking meat long enough to believe my own lying eyes…the fat absolutely drains into the meat
I didn’t say I believe someone on TV. I believe the guys winning world championships. I know you think the fat drizzles into the meat. But it doesn’t. Fat renders, but it doesn’t drizzle down into the meat.

Reactions: Jbouton2
I didn’t say I believe someone on TV. I believe the guys winning world championships. I know you think the fat drizzles into the meat. But it doesn’t. Fat renders, but it doesn’t drizzle down into the meat.

yes, it drains down into the meat. Again, feel free to believe whoever you want no matter how wrong they are. I’ve cooked enough meat that I don’t need somebody else’s opinion to tell me what I see with my own eyes and taste with my own mouth.

Reactions: IH8FATBRAD
yes, it drains down into the meat. Again, feel free to believe whoever you want no matter how wrong they are. I’ve cooked enough meat that I don’t need somebody else’s opinion to tell me what I see with my own eyes and taste with my own mouth.
Hate to inform you but it doesn’t. It’s pushed out and drains off the meat. Inter muscular fat yes will drain through but the cap will not. You can believe what you want but it doesn’t make it right. If you die a fat cap with oil based food coloring and cook the meat fat side up, there will be zero dye in the meat and that is just facts.

Hate to inform you but it doesn’t. It’s pushed out and drains off the meat. Inter muscular fat yes will drain through but the cap will not. You can believe what you want but it doesn’t make it right. If you die a fat cap with oil based food coloring and cook the meat fat side up, there will be zero dye in the meat and that is just facts.

you can post this same bullshit 50 times in this thread if you want, you’re not going to change my experience. If the meat were a large egg with a shell and a fat cap sitting on top, then yes, the fat would render and drain off. But the meat is not an egg with a shell, it porous. I know for 100% fact that the fat drains into the meat. But you are free to believe whatever falsehood you want.

you can post this same bullshit 50 times in this thread if you want, you’re not going to change my experience. If the meat were a large egg with a shell and a fat cap sitting on top, then yes, the fat would render and drain off. But the meat is not an egg with a shell, it porous. I know for 100% fact that the fat drains into the meat. But you are free to believe whatever falsehood you want.
As you are free to believe whatever myth you chose to believe. Still doesn’t make it correct. Many laws in science dispel what you think you know is fact. I’ll believe them over your “experience”.

Meat is not even porous to begin with. Not sure what gave you that impression.

Last edited:
As you are free to believe whatever myth you chose to believe. Still doesn’t make it correct. Many laws in science dispel what you think you know is fact. I’ll believe them over your “experience”.

Meat is not even porous to begin with. Not sure what gave you that impression.

“laws of science”. Ok Einsteen, have a nice day. Lol.

Forgot to put a final response; turned out amazing! Finally didn't mess a brisket up.

I think the big thing on this one was fat cap up and using butcher paper for wrapping instead of foil or unwrapped.
Thanks everyone for the advice!
What difference does it make using butcher paper vs foil?

Forgot to put a final response; turned out amazing! Finally didn't mess a brisket up.

I think the big thing on this one was fat cap up and using butcher paper for wrapping instead of foil or unwrapped.
Thanks everyone for the advice!

Turned out great AND the fat cap was up?!? How dare you speak truth to guys who get their cooking know how from celebrity chefs on tv!

Reactions: vehemon
What difference does it make using butcher paper vs foil?
Don't have much experience to speak on since this is the first time out of three attempts I finally got something good. The time that I used the foil, I felt it cooked way too quick in my electric smoker. It might be ok with a typical pellet/charcoal grill but with the electric heat.... I felt after wrapping it cooked much faster. (Wrapped during the stall at 165)

I also didn't have near as much smoke flavor to it.
With the butcher paper, it was smoked completely through with every single bite.
I gave some to my mother in law and she couldn't wait to get back home to try it. Ate some in the car on her drive back and said it was amazing.

With the butcher paper; I had already set a good temp at 225 and let it ride the rest of the way even after wrapping.

I knew it was going to be good when I went to cut at 45 degrees, the butcher knife literally fell through it all without much effort.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT