ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Bully reporter

That pretty much says it all. Meanwhile the Taliban, who can still post on Twitter while a former President cant, is trolling Biden. See below. But yeah, bullying and stuff.

E9BDcDiXMAoz5Jz

People really believe they are not on the other side of the same coin that they spend so much time ridiculing. Everything needs an opinion and needs to be confirmation of some perceived larger problem.

This stuff is eaten up by people because it requires little research or nuance. Ironically, this whole discussion is about the mental fortitude of one of the greatest athletes in the world and richest. I do not understand the how these stories draw so many people like flies to light.
I certainly agree with that there are plenty of people who run with a sensationalized headline....on both sides.

I think what is missing from your post is this point. Some people, including me, don’t see the cultural shift as random unrelated points in some abstract piece of art. There are in fact dots that connect.

One recent example would be while we were so concerned with making everyone feel good by raising a pride flag in Afghanistan, the Taliban were advancing and grabbing hundreds of millions of dollars of our military equipment. My friend who was blown up by an IED there and left his 6 month old fatherless died for that bullshit?

This constant babying of everyone’s feelings be it in sports be in the military is a common thread. Some people see it, some people don’t. Some people care, some people don’t.

Unfortunately it seems, to use your apt analogy, a light draws all kinds of different moths so you have to sort through it. I use my ignore button a lot so I can sort to the people actually wanting to debate. Whether we agree or not.

I certainly agree with that there are plenty of people who run with a sensationalized headline....on both sides.

I think what is missing from your post is this point. Some people, including me, don’t see the cultural shift as random unrelated points in some abstract piece of art. There are in fact dots that connect.

One recent example would be while we were so concerned with making everyone feel good by raising a pride flag in Afghanistan, the Taliban were advancing and grabbing hundreds of millions of dollars of our military equipment. My friend who was blown up by an IED there and left his 6 month old fatherless died for that bullshit?

This constant babying of everyone’s feelings be it in sports be in the military is a common thread. Some people see it, some people don’t. Some people care, some people don’t.

Unfortunately it seems, to use your apt analogy, a light draws all kinds of different moths so you have to sort through it. I use my ignore button a lot so I can sort to the people actually wanting to debate. Whether we agree or not.
Many Americans are fragile, sensitive, entitled, privileged, emotionally-stunted, and selfish. The pandemic brought out the worst in us. There certainly are weak people amongst us, but I often see a dismissiveness towards people that speak up or bring awareness to an issue. I see it over and over where immediately someone gets labeled as a snowflake, and it appears to come from a place of bitterness. I don't get it. The people we hold up as brave in the past would have had the same simple insults thrown at them. The selective outrage is amusing, and I can't take people seriously that talk about everyone being sensitive, when, in fact, they are the epitome of a snowflake and threatened by a laundry list of things and people.

The tribalism in this country is completely perpetuated by insecure people that struggle to accept things are complicated. There is a lot of resilience in this country, and I don't think it helps to seek out validation to score points for my tribe.

Literally all she had to do was a classic and simple Trump mic drop by responding with “Because your fake news”. “You should be ashamed, horrible reporter”. Then start listing examples as they go off air.

Reactions: BigWillieCock
Many Americans are fragile, sensitive, entitled, privileged, emotionally-stunted, and selfish. The pandemic brought out the worst in us. There certainly are weak people amongst us, but I often see a dismissiveness towards people that speak up or bring awareness to an issue. I see it over and over where immediately someone gets labeled as a snowflake, and it appears to come from a place of bitterness. I don't get it. The people we hold up as brave in the past would have had the same simple insults thrown at them. The selective outrage is amusing, and I can't take people seriously that talk about everyone being sensitive, when, in fact, they are the epitome of a snowflake and threatened by a laundry list of things and people.

The tribalism in this country is completely perpetuated by insecure people that struggle to accept things are complicated. There is a lot of resilience in this country, and I don't think it helps to seek out validation to score points for my tribe.
Mookie, you know I respect you as a poster, I’ve said it before. Sometimes though it feels like you speak in riddles inside enigmas inside generalizations Your first paragraph fits that example because you provide no specifics. Which is fine, I find you to be an intelligent and respectful poster whether I follow what you’re saying or not.

The second paragraph though is a bit much. CRT, LGTBQ+-@, BLM, etc do nothing and I emphasize NOTHING but promote tribalism. Yet you posit it’s insecure dumb people promoting tribalism. Honestly, that is the first completely tone deaf thing I’ve ever read of your posts. I apologize if that’s harsh, but if that’s your stance, you have no idea why people are angry and never will. And that’s disappointing because if you did understand it, I’d imagine you’d have a unique and thought provoking commentary.

Again, I say that respectfully.

Manufactured outrage by whom?
Without providing a list of screen names because it’s not my intention to start a fight or be disrespectful to anyone, let me offer this. I would bet that the number of posters in this thread who would have, at any point in their lives, considered themselves honest-to-God women’s tennis fans could be counted on half a hand. So the fact that this exchange took place between Osaka and the reporter in and of itself wouldn’t have moved hardly anyone here’s attention needle from a sports interest standpoint. But it, or more pertinently, the actual and expected reaction to it, somehow turned into a multi-page thread on a Gamecocks sports forum, complete with liberal (pardon the pun) references to snowflakes, softness, athletes needing to stick to sports… this thread’s got all the silly reductive tropes that make this place, like many message boards and social media more generally, more and more unfrequentable by the day.

So yes, when Naomi Osaka is otherwise unlikely ever to garner any sustained interest on a forum like Gamecock Central for any sports-related reason, I perceive in this thread a fair amount of manufactured outrage or anger for anger’s sake.

Now, ironically (or maybe not ironically because it’s really just kind of sad), what I and apparently others perceive as manufactured outrage is manufactured over someone else’s manufactured outrage. The question to Osaka wasn’t bullying or mean-spirited, and from what I saw (I watched the video despite not having heard about it before running across this thread to see what all the fuss was about... I’m still at a loss), she didn’t think the question was mean-spirited in the moment either. It’s a pity that all public discourse seems to go this way.

Without providing a list of screen names because it’s not my intention to start a fight or be disrespectful to anyone, let me offer this. I would bet that the number of posters in this thread who would have, at any point in their lives, considered themselves honest-to-God women’s tennis fans could be counted on half a hand. So the fact that this exchange took place between Osaka and the reporter in and of itself wouldn’t have moved hardly anyone here’s attention needle from a sports interest standpoint. But it, or more pertinently, the actual and expected reaction to it, somehow turned into a multi-page thread on a Gamecocks sports forum, complete with liberal (pardon the pun) references to snowflakes, softness, athletes needing to stick to sports… this thread’s got all the silly reductive tropes that make this place, like many message boards and social media more generally, unfrequentable.

So yes, when Naomi Osaka is otherwise unlikely ever to garner any sustained interest on a forum like Gamecock Central for any sports-related reason, I perceive in this thread a fair amount of manufactured outrage or anger for anger’s sake.

Now, ironically (or maybe not ironically because it’s really just kind of sad), what I and apparently others perceive as manufactured outrage is manufactured over someone else’s manufactured outrage. The question to Osaka wasn’t bullying or mean-spirited, and from what I saw (I watched the video despite not having heard about it before running across this thread to see what all the fuss was about... I’m still at a loss), she didn’t think the question was mean-spirited in the moment either. It’s a pity that all public discourse seems to go this way.
Thank you for a well reasoned response. So often that never happens.

And you’re hitting the bullseye with the how many people are WTA fans.

Your last sentence sums it up though. I’m going to go out on a limb here. Here’s why this happens IMO. The average American has eaten a shit sandwich since 2008 and the financial crisis. Just sort of got back what they lost and then CoVid. Yet these pampered rich athletes cited mental anguish.

When was the last time Osaka worried about putting food on the table or making the rent payment? Do you think mental anguish works at the average persons job when they can’t pay the bills?

The outrage is you, by choice, are privileged. Quit bitching about being privileged. ESPECIALLY when you willingly signed up for it.

is that so hard to understand?

The Japanese hate her. But it's like every other sport out there now, it's all about politics and no longer about the sport. College football probably has 1 or 2 more seasons before it's as political as the professional organizations and becomes unwatchable too.
Where did you read that they hate her? I did see this response which seems logical

"Japanese people and the society itself value politeness even to the point that they will never speak out their true sentiments on the platform of public opinion and just keep them to themselves or within their closest circles. Because of this, we can never really tell what they think of Naomi Osaka unless we have some defining factor."

I think a lot of the people that hate her are the same ones that claim to hate WBB but will enter a Dawn Staley thread and make it 10 pages long. Pot bellied American men that scratch their butts in public.

Reactions: bflogger28
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT