ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Fifty years ago today - In my last post are links to an article about 1 of my accomplishments.

Freddie.B.Cocky

Jul 19, 2002
just about this time. I was walking across the stage to pick up that Sheepskin at ETSU. It has served me well. I was fortunate enough to work for a Fortune 250 Co. for 40 years ( I worked at a couple of other companies before being hired by the best company I ever worked for in my entire life - both full time jobs and part time jobs).

I know the cost of college is expensive today but if you major in a good field it is very worth it financially as well as culturally.

Last edited:
at ETSU. It has served me well. I was fortunate enough to work for a Fortune 250 Co. for 40 years ( I worked at a couple of other companies before being hired by the best company I ever worked for in my entire life - both full time jobs and part time jobs). I know the cost of college is expensive today but if you major in a good field it is very worth it financially as well as culturally.

Congrats!

You hit the nail on the head: major in a good field.

That B.S. in Cultural Studies may not pay off like your degree did (my apologies if you majored in Cultural Studies, haha)

Happy anniversary Freddie, I’m glad your career was satisfying and college paid dividends. My son recently was a 5th year graduate with a history degree.(Doesn’t help with his career choice however). That 5th year alone totaled over $90k.

at ETSU. It has served me well. I was fortunate enough to work for a Fortune 250 Co. for 40 years ( I worked at a couple of other companies before being hired by the best company I ever worked for in my entire life - both full time jobs and part time jobs). I know the cost of college is expensive today but if you major in a good field it is very worth it financially as well as culturally.

Old.

Happy anniversary Freddie, I’m glad your career was satisfying and college paid dividends. My son recently was a 5th year graduate with a history degree.(Doesn’t help with his career choice however). That 5th year alone totaled over $90k.

Thank you very much I appreciate the kind words and yes my college experience and career choice were very satisfying.

My gosh relative to your son I can understand why he enjoys history. When I was in college at ETSU it was required by the state of Tennessee every college student was required to take one year of American History regardless of the university or college and regardless of curriculum. I really enjoyed the course. Last year on a trip to NYC my wife and I met this nice young man that majored in history and had just finished his first year of teaching. He was very interesting and we really enjoyed talking with him in general as well as interesting history topics. Teaching is a satisfying career for those that are cut out for that role. However, if your son doesn't like teaching, there use to be good companies (and maybe still are) that would hire people with history, sociology degrees, if he choose to go that route.

Last edited:
Congrats!

You hit the nail on the head: major in a good field.

That B.S. in Cultural Studies may not pay off like your degree did (my apologies if you majored in Cultural Studies, haha)

No, I majored in chemistry.

Last edited:
Sheepskin at ETSU. It has served me well. I was fortunate enough to work for a Fortune 250 Co. for 40 years ( I worked at a couple of other companies before being hired by the best company I ever worked for in my entire life - both full time jobs and part time jobs).

I know the cost of college is expensive today but if you major in a good field it is very worth it financially as well as culturally.
Dang Freddie. I knew you had an old soul but didn't know you were nearly 70 years old sir. You ready for yet another gamecock football season? :)

I can't even begin to imagine how much fun organic chemistry was back in the day.

I took my first class in organic chemistry in the fall of '67. There were about 50 + students in my class at the start of the fall quarter and there were 13 of us taking the final exam at the end of fall quarter.

I took my first class in organic chemistry in the fall of '67. There were about 50 + students in my class at the start of the fall quarter and there were 13 of us taking the final exam at the end of fall quarter.

Yeah, exactly, it's what we call a weeder class.

I remember getting a text the first week from a friend that was pre-med.

She's all like see org chem isn't that bad

and I'm like Lol K

Reactions: Freddie.B.Cocky
u
PChem was torture in the worst way. ugh!
Boy, you got that right! I remember when we finished our last exam in pchem, right before graduation, a good friend of mine shouted on our dorm floor - no more pchem FOREVER. LOL! He already had been hired at Oak Ridge before we graduated. I could have gotten a job before I graduated at Nuclear Fuels in Erwin, Tn but I wanted to come back to Greenville to be with my family that I loved deeply and also I loved Greenville very much at the time. And I had a job within two weeks after graduation.

I think what would have helped most students in pchem if students had taken more physics before taking pchem. And I've talked to a lot of chemistry students from a lot of different schools over the years and 90% of the ones I talked with found pchem to be a death wish. Most chemistry students back in the early '60s were only required to take one year of general physics.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zann77
Double congrats are in order then. Did my BS in biology with a chemistry minor and then grad degrees in microbiology. Never could fully wrap my head around chemistry.

Thank you for the kind words. I understood most concepts in chemistry with the exception of pchem. I've know very few people that had their head around pchem. But, I had a good understanding of most chemistry courses (not bragging but just thankful).

I worked for a bleachery for less than a year as my first job. I excelled at that job but didn't like it because it was the hottest and dirtiest place I had ever worked in my life. Plus, it was a very crude form of chemistry. The company tried to talk me into staying and offered me a small increase in salary to stay, but I just didn't like working there.

I then worked for a small privately own pharmaceutical company for about 3 1/2 years in Greenville. I loved that job but it was a small company and the pay was not very good. But I was doing a lot of developmental work for them before I left in Dec. of 1973 and that was a prestigious job to only have a BS degree in Chemistry. I had my own gc (gas chromatography) which the company only had one but I was the only chemist allowed to use the instrument. LOL! But, again I wasn't making very much money.

Then I went to work with the company where I spend the last 40 years of my working career. I started on the bench performing assays and analysis on the Intravenous Solutions, which was nothing more than cookbook chemistry compared to the analytical work I was use to performing. After working on the bench for nine months I was promoted into management in a different area of the pharmaceutical operation. And I never worked on the bench again after September 1974. But when I left the company 40 years later I had a nice pension and 401K. Plus, the company had an employee stock option plan that employees could buy stock at a 15% discount up to 12% of their salary.

And the only reason I am going into this much detail is to encourage all graduates that have not yet found their dream job is to not give up and keep trying. It's out there somewhere, you might have to relocate or even move into a different field but there are opportunities. I had to relocate and leave my close knit family but I did what I had to do and I have not regretted it for a minute. And as far as Greenville is concerned, I could have returned when I retired six years ago but choose to stay here.

I was pre-med with the dream of being a surgeon until I made a 16 on my first organic 2 test. I figured who would want me to operate on them if I was only right 16% of the time?

Then I found business and realized I could get straight As without ever going to class. At that point, my dream changed...

I was pre-med with the dream of being a surgeon until I made a 16 on my first organic 2 test. I figured who would want me to operate on them if I was only right 16% of the time?

Then I found business and realized I could get straight As without ever going to class. At that point, my dream changed...

That's what I was referring to above. In order to find or reach our goals we sometimes have to do some reevaluation of what makes us happy and / or what makes us the happiest.

Below are two links one can cut and paste into google. You will probably need to enlarge and the 2nd link was turned upside down so you may need to rotate the article. But the article was published in the Johnson City newspaper before I graduated and then later in the Greenville News.

Dang, I was a handsome devil back then just as I am today. LOL!

file:///C:/Users/Bruce%20Haynes/Documents/Scanned%20from%20a%20Xerox%20multifunction%20device.pdf

file:///C:/Users/Bruce%20Haynes/Documents/Scan_0014.pdf

Last edited:
Below are two links one can cut and paste into google. You will probably need to enlarge and the 2nd link was turned upside down so you may need to rotate the article. But the article was published in the Johnson City newspaper before I graduated and then later in the Greenville News.

Dang, I was a handsome devil back then just as I am today. LOL!

file:///C:/Users/Bruce%20Haynes/Documents/Scanned%20from%20a%20Xerox%20multifunction%20device.pdf

file:///C:/Users/Bruce%20Haynes/Documents/Scan_0014.pdf

I can’t get it to work and pasting it in Google doesn’t work either. Can you hyper link again

Thank you for the kind words. I understood most concepts in chemistry with the exception of pchem. I've know very few people that had their head around pchem. But, I had a good understanding of most chemistry courses (not bragging but just thankful).

I worked for a bleachery for less than a year as my first job. I excelled at that job but didn't like it because it was the hottest and dirtiest place I had ever worked in my life. Plus, it was a very crude form of chemistry. The company tried to talk me into staying and offered me a small increase in salary to stay, but I just didn't like working there.

I then worked for a small privately own pharmaceutical company for about 3 1/2 years in Greenville. I loved that job but it was a small company and the pay was not very good. But I was doing a lot of developmental work for them before I left in Dec. of 1973 and that was a prestigious job to only have a BS degree in Chemistry. I had my own gc (gas chromatography) which the company only had one but I was the only chemist allowed to use the instrument. LOL! But, again I wasn't making very much money.

Then I went to work with the company where I spend the last 40 years of my working career. I started on the bench performing assays and analysis on the Intravenous Solutions, which was nothing more than cookbook chemistry compared to the analytical work I was use to performing. After working on the bench for nine months I was promoted into management in a different area of the pharmaceutical operation. And I never worked on the bench again after September 1974. But when I left the company 40 years later I had a nice pension and 401K. Plus, the company had an employee stock option plan that employees could buy stock at a 15% discount up to 12% of their salary.

And the only reason I am going into this much detail is to encourage all graduates that have not yet found their dream job is to not give up and keep trying. It's out there somewhere, you might have to relocate or even move into a different field but there are opportunities. I had to relocate and leave my close knit family but I did what I had to do and I have not regretted it for a minute. And as far as Greenville is concerned, I could have returned when I retired six years ago but choose to stay here.

So where is here for the Freddie B Cocky family now?

I can’t get it to work and pasting it in Google doesn’t work either. Can you hyper link again

I linked it again. But it works fine for me in google. I tried it before I even hyper linked it. Now remember you have to copy and paste on link at a time (I know you know that but just saying) because when I copied the article I had to make two copies - example copy half the page and then the other half. Hope it works.

Have you been back to Johnson City lately? I lived there for 17 years. Probably the best kept secret in the country. It’s a great place to live.

Yes, I've been back about three times in the last couple of years. I attended the 50th year graduation anniversary back in May. We got to march with the graduates.

Yes, I've been back about three times in the last couple of years. I attended the 50th year graduation anniversary back in May. We got to march with the graduates.

We were good friends with the football coach there when they disbanded football. I’m glad to see they have it back. My kids went to high school at Science Hill. We loved it because it was two hours door to door to our house in Spartanburg.

We were good friends with the football coach there when they disbanded football. I’m glad to see they have it back. My kids went to high school at Science Hill. We loved it because it was two hours door to door to our house in Spartanburg.

Did the link work this time?