ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Fire Ant Mounds

Cockish

Apr 11, 2017
Is it me or have the number of fire ant mounds diminished? I cut approx 1 acre of grass and I've only encountered 1 mound this spring/summer. My feelings wouldn't be hurt if I don't see another one.

Is it me or have the number of fire ant mounds diminished? I cut approx 1 acre of grass and I've only encountered 1 mound this spring/summer. My feelings wouldn't be hurt if I don't see another one.

I do lawn care for a living, they are out there and seem to be thriving here in Clarendon and Sumter counties.

Reactions: Cockish
They moved here. We didn't have any fire ants for about 15 years. They're back. I'm treating them with Ortho. But it seems to be multiplying them.

They moved here. We didn't have any fire ants for about 15 years. They're back. I'm treating them with Ortho. But it seems to be multiplying them.
Try Orthene. It kills them, not moves them and you don't have to water it in. It does stink and may discolor the area of grass for awhile.

Reactions: martwing
Try Orthene. It kills them, not moves them and you don't have to water it in. It does stink and may discolor the area of grass for awhile.
Yeah, that's what I meant to say I'm using. Orthene. The stuff that stinks a block away. They're still multiplying. Kill one mound, two pop up. I'm working on them.

Reactions: Goose cock
Yeah, that's what I meant to say I'm using. Orthene. The stuff that stinks a block away. They're still multiplying. Kill one mound, two pop up. I'm working on them.
I try early in the morning or late afternoon, then stir them up and put the stuff on the mound. Check it the next day and it's dead.

The pro’s use Termidor. You can get it at a DIY pest control store, possibly online. It also kills termites.
One other thing, if you are using a concentrate that you add water to, sometimes the fine print says to use a dedicated sprayer. If the ants smell something else it won’t work.

Reactions: TheReelEss
I've gotten rid of a good portion of mine. I use Talstar concentrate in my 30 gallon sprayer/trailer. It had cut down greatly on the number of mounds but after me being away in the mountains for the last five months and not spraying, they're popping back up again. It contains something called bifenthrin that's good for killing a lot of different pests. I spray the mounds liberally but I also use it for home pest control. I spray the ground around the house and about 6 feet up the walls. We have almost zero problems with bugs in the house.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
I HATE those damn things! Clemson, aka 'Fake Ag U', promised a cure 10 years ago for the fire ants, but they're still here! PLUS Clem STILL doesn't have a Vet School!

Let's herd some anteaters in here. When they first saw the arrival of these ants, they could have dealt with them then. I guess the chemical companies making billions had something to do with it.

Bump. Can I add there around my neighborhood. There seem to be a lot more butterflies this year.

To change the subject slightly. Has anyone had an explosion of mushrooms recently? I've had dozens pop up seemingly overnight. I cut the grass in one small area and got rid of about 20 of them and 3 days later I've got about ten back in their place. I've never seen it like this before.

We use talstar spray and granules. Haven’t noticed as many this year like we’ve seen before. They do like the mulched flower beds , however.

I have well water(have county water for house)and use a F/A killer from WM and destroy the mounds with high pressure spray and the F/A killer of course. Works very well.

I use Over and Out, granular, about 30 bucks for a 10 lb bag, spread it with a spreader and the ants disappear for 3-6 months. Best thing i have ever used and easy to apply.

It might sound a little cruel but I’ve read you can put around 3 gallons of boiling water on the mound to kill them.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT