ADVERTISEMENT

OT: For you old timers. Tell me about MOTH BALLS

Judson1

Jul 31, 2008
When I was a kid I specifically remember that smell in both my grandparents houses and many, many more. Now, do people even use them anymore? Did all the moths get killed because of the diligence of my grandparents?
What’s the story on this former practice?

When I was a kid I specifically remember that smell in both my grandparents houses and many, many more. Now, do people even use them anymore? Did all the moths get killed because of the diligence of my grandparents?
They were no exterminators in the old days! And I don't think of myself as a old timer... I'm 50

Last edited:
It was the old spice for old people….LOL.

They were used to keep moths from eating their clothes hanging in the closet. Moth balls go back before we had synthetics. I hear they also ward off snakes.

They mostly fallen out of use because it's not only are they poisonous but they are suspected to be carcinogenic. Not a good idea to have them in the room where you sleep all the time.

Reactions: SCexpat38
200w.gif

Good for snakes, and other critters that may get into your house or attic. Much better products now for moths. fireants85 is correct, made from petroleum napthalene it will indeed enrich the fuel of a small engine. Please no one run out and put any amount in your vehicle gas tank since it doesn't work well with electronics in today's engines.

I’m 50, and my parents always had mothballs in the closet. I tried convincing them to get rid of them, but they are stubborn.

Cedar chests would make your wool coats smell better, assuming they work as well as mothballs. Nothing like sitting behind someone at church wearing a mothball-scented wool coat!

• Haha
Reactions: AngloCock
You can buy them now, but they have gotten expensive. Had to get some trying to get rid of pantry moths. Punched them in the tunnels of ground moles to run them off.

First you’ll need a set of tweezers.. they be hard to find.

Drop them in the holes the critters are digging in your yard. They’ll leave and go to dig in your neighbor’s yard.

I’m more middle aged, but have used them for years in the attic, crawl space and around the outside of the house to keep snakes away.
I've got good snakes to ward off the bad ones. In 30 years at my residence I've seen a black snake at least 2 times each spring/summer. I've only seen one copperhead...I made sure that he ceased to be.

I've got good snakes to ward off the bad ones. In 30 years at my residence I've seen a black snake at least 2 times each spring/summer. I've only seen one copperhead...I made sure that he ceased to be.

Good snakes? lol. With my method I see none, unless I’m near the wood line.

Reminds me of another joke.

Buddy went over to his friend's house. The friends dog was laying in the porch licking his privates.
Buddy: I wish I could do that..
The friend: Maaaaan, that dog will bite you!!
Or "You will have to kiss him first."..LOL

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT