ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Front end noise and mechanic can't find the cause

When it happened in my Ford it wasn't a high mileage vehicle yet. I Googled the issue and found out it was fairly common in the F150, but Ford refused to do a recall. Around the same time they were doing a recall for the cruise control solenoid catching fire. Guess what? That happened on the same truck. SOB's weighing repairs vs lives.
Yep, some bean counter said the cost of lawsuits was less than a recall.

Reactions: TheReelEss
So here is a good one. Had same issue with a GMC 4x4 truck a few years back. Turn to the left clicking noise turn to the right no noise. Drove me nuts. Have done mechanic work since I was old enough. Checked everything , bearings, hubs, output shafts. ball joints, tie rods, get the picture. Finally had my son turn the steering while under front of truck. Two bolts on front skid plate were just a little loose. Frame would flex just enough to move plate a little causing the clicking noise. Point being it can sometimes be something so simple yet hard to find. Good luck.

When it happened in my Ford it wasn't a high mileage vehicle yet. I Googled the issue and found out it was fairly common in the F150, but Ford refused to do a recall. Around the same time they were doing a recall for the cruise control solenoid catching fire. Guess what? That happened on the same truck. SOB's weighing repairs vs lives.

It the same car isn’t was talking about with the faulty tire rod(s) .. I had the transmission go out. It was when Nissan had those lawsuits or claims going for their CVT transmissions.. so you could get it repaired and then send the bill in and get reimbursed, or partially reimbursed. I didn’t hold my breathe, but they said the new transmission was better and it wouldn’t have the same problem. It last a month, 6 weeks. They had to replace it again. Luckily it was under warranty this time. Just like you said weighing repairs vs lives. They rather cut corners an save a couple bucks for the bottom line rather than make a product worth a crap. But at least the roosters won on the court and on the diamond today!

Reactions: TheReelEss
Yes... that's one of the things I suggested. Do I get a prize?
I thought it was the bushings on something - sway bar, control arm or tie rod. Either that or a strut.

Funny story though. I asked them to rotate and balance the tires, but they broke 2 tools trying to get the lug nuts off. It was the same place that replaced the tires a year ago.

Why do these people tighten the lug nuts down so hard? If I had a flat on the highway there's no way I could change it.

I thought it was the bushings on something - sway bar, control arm or tie rod. Either that or a strut.

Funny story though. I asked them to rotate and balance the tires, but they broke 2 tools trying to get the lug nuts off. It was the same place that replaced the tires a year ago.

Why do these people tighten the lug nuts down so hard? If I had a flat on the highway there's no way I could change it.

I hate, hate, hate when tire shops do that crap. Stupid monkeys just wail on the lug nuts with the impact for days - 283ft-lbs - “yep! That’ll do it”
That’s why I order tires online, put my vehicle on jack stands and take the wheels/old tires and news tires to the shop to be mounted/balanced in the back of my truck. Bring them home and put them on the car myself. It’s a bit of extra work, but ‘if you want something done right.....’

I hate, hate, hate when tire shops do that crap. Stupid monkeys just wail on the lug nuts with the impact for days - 283ft-lbs - “yep! That’ll do it”
That’s why I order tires online, put my vehicle on jack stands and take the wheels/old tires and news tires to the shop to be mounted/balanced in the back of my truck. Bring them home and put them on the car myself. It’s a bit of extra work, but ‘if you want something done right.....’
When I take it back next week I will ask them to manually tighten the nuts so they can be removed with the tool under my seat.

I wonder if they will do it ....

Reactions: 92Pony
When I take it back next week I will ask them to manually tighten the nuts so they can be removed with the tool under my seat.

I wonder if they will do it ....
Technically, they should be tightened with a torque wrench. But of course no one does that. I really think it's a lack of confidence or knowledge that causes people to overtighten them.

Technically, they should be tightened with a torque wrench. But of course no one does that. I really think it's a lack of confidence or knowledge that causes people to overtighten them.
About a month ago I bought some tires for my wife’s explorer.So I took it to have them put on and this guy brought out an cordless impact drill and took off the lug nuts.I told him I’ve never seen someone do it that way .I said that must be a strong one.He said it was 800ft pounds.

Exactly they actually make lug nut sockets that control torque they are different colors for different torque ranges

Exactly they actually make lug nut sockets that control torque they are different colors for different torque ranges
Yep. I think I've heard them called 'torque sticks'. I don't understand why shops don't/won't use them! Maybe they have a lifespan and have to be replaced, and shops just don't want to fool with the recurring expense?

Yep. I think I've heard them called 'torque sticks'. I don't understand why shops don't/won't use them! Maybe they have a lifespan and have to be replaced, and shops just don't want to fool with the recurring expense?
I have a set myself harbor freight carries a set that’s not expensive at all. I don’t buy a lot of tools there but a specialty tool every once in a while. I betting your big names “Snap-on Mac etc have lifetime warranties heck mine might haven’t checked

About a month ago I bought some tires for my wife’s explorer.So I took it to have them put on and this guy brought out an cordless impact drill and took off the lug nuts.I told him I’ve never seen someone do it that way .I said that must be a strong one.He said it was 800ft pounds.
Yeah, I've got one too. When the Snap On guy was selling me on it he used it to take off a couple of the lugs from his truck to demonstrate. They were really big, like 1 1/4 nuts. It's amazing how much torque they produce for a battery powered tool.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT