ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Funny thing happened at the grocery store

TheReelEss

Feb 3, 2005
I went to the grocery store last night and paid with a debit card with the chip. The kid running the register asked if I had a penny. I didn't know why she would ask that so I asked why. She turned the screen and it said I had a balance of one cent. I asked how that's even possible because I paid with a debit card. She said "I don't know, I'm new." I don't think she understood my righteous indignation. Probably doesn't have a debit card yet. She called a surly young manager over who tapped a couple buttons and walked away without a word. Has that ever happened to anyone else?

Reactions: GarnetBeamer
I went to the grocery store last night and paid with a debit card with the chip. The kid running the register asked if I had a penny. I didn't know why she would ask that so I asked why. She turned the screen and it said I had a balance of one cent. I asked how that's even possible because I paid with a debit card. She said "I don't know, I'm new." I don't think she understood my righteous indignation. Probably doesn't have a debit card yet. She called a surly young manager over who tapped a couple buttons and walked away without a word. Has that ever happened to anyone else?
Sounds like she added the penny after the transaction went through.

Reactions: TheReelEss

The surly young manager, yes, but the debit card balance, no.

• Haha
Just think...if they do this to 100 customers a day. Over the course of the year, they're pocketing a few hundred bucks.

Just think...if they do this to 100 customers a day. Over the course of the year, they're pocketing a few hundred bucks.
Except I didn't pay it out of principle...and the fact that I didn't have a penny. I guess I could have swiped my card again for the $0.01. 🤣

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 92Pony
U forgot yer bilo bonus card?😆

"Righteous indignation" over a penny that a new employee asked you for because the electronic register told her you were a penny short? C'mon man, it was not her fault, it was not your fault. Why create a scene?

Have you ever watch the movie "Office Space"? That's the penny.

"Righteous indignation" over a penny that a new employee asked you for because the electronic register told her you were a penny short? C'mon man, it was not her fault, it was not your fault. Why create a scene?
I don't think he said he created a scene. If he didn't have a penny in his pocket, and the cashier can't resolve it, what else could be done other than to have a manager come over and override the balance?

C'mon man, figure of speech. I didn't make a scene. I don't do that. I also didn't have a penny to give her. And I suspect it was her fault, though she probably didn't know it.

C'mon man, figure of speech. I didn't make a scene. I don't do that. I also didn't have a penny to give her. And I suspect it was her fault, though she probably didn't know it.
Heck, I laughed when I read it. 😄 I thought that was the point of including that phrase.
Some people on here stay so uptight.

Take this in a different direction, went in a convenience store for a coke, $1.89 plus tax =$2.26 or so, gave her $3.00. Clerk says, "sir, we don't have enough change to give you exact change, would you mind if we round "UP" to $3.00??? Questioned why?? Clerk says "coin shortage" @ the banks. Left Coke on counter, drove to my Credit Union & asked Teller if there was a change shortage? Heavens NO, She says, What would you like!!! Told her the story & she just shook her head.
Same thing happened last week @ well known out of state truck stop. Left bottle of water on counter there too.

Reactions: Captain Weegie
Take this in a different direction, went in a convenience store for a coke, $1.89 plus tax =$2.26 or so, gave her $3.00. Clerk says, "sir, we don't have enough change to give you exact change, would you mind if we round "UP" to $3.00??? Questioned why?? Clerk says "coin shortage" @ the banks. Left Coke on counter, drove to my Credit Union & asked Teller if there was a change shortage? Heavens NO, She says, What would you like!!! Told her the story & she just shook her head.
Same thing happened last week @ well known out of state truck stop. Left bottle of water on counter there too.
Should have asked to round down.

Went by a Zaxby’s the other day and ordered some food - the total was 11.75 so when I got to the window I handed the guy a 20 dollar bill with a one dollar bill and 3 quarters. I was expecting a 10 dollar bill or two fives with no change. He handed me back a 5 dollar bill with 3 dollar bills and a bunch of change with Pennys included. I asked him how much my order was and looked at me with vacant eyes and said “ I don’t know “. I just said forget it and took my order and left. Young kids today do not know how to count change back and are dependent on the cash register to tell how much to return. When I got home I looked at the slip and he had plugged in 20 dollars and disregarded the other $1.75.

Went by a Zaxby’s the other day and ordered some food - the total was 11.75 so when I got to the window I handed the guy a 20 dollar bill with a one dollar bill and 3 quarters. I was expecting a 10 dollar bill or two fives with no change. He handed me back a 5 dollar bill with 3 dollar bills and a bunch of change with Pennys included. I asked him how much my order was and looked at me with vacant eyes and said “ I don’t know “. I just said forget it and took my order and left. Young kids today do not know how to count change back and are dependent on the cash register to tell how much to return. When I got home I looked at the slip and he had plugged in 20 dollars and disregarded the other $1.75.
At least they're working. I've been thanking them lately for working. I was taught the count up method for making change. Easy, no mistakes, and you count the change to the customer. Taught that the first day.

I think you were the unreasonable one. Handing somebody five separate pieces of currency for that amount. Just give him the $20 and take your food and $8.25 in change and go.

Reactions: Gamecock Jacque
She didn't ask "do you have a penny," she asked "are you Who-penny?"

• Haha
Was thinking the same thing about the original post then saw your reply. Good work. Kids today can’t count out money…but money will be gone in a decade or two anyway.

Reactions: sand1
Was thinking the same thing about the original post then saw your reply. Good work. Kids today can’t count out money…but money will be gone in a decade or two anyway.
I was at a CVS pharmacy in Bluffton yesterday and saw that they had signs at each register that they had no coins.

Last edited:
I think you were the unreasonable one. Handing somebody five separate pieces of currency for that amount. Just give him the $20 and take your food and $8.25 in change and go.
Is it unreasonable to expect them to count the money you hand them?

Reactions: sand1
So I went to little Caesars to buy a $5 lunch pizza . I do this at least once a week . New cashier rings it up and says “$8.75” I’m barely paying attention so I go to swipe my card and I’m like wait a second . I ask her why a $5 pizza is $8.75 and she just stares at me blankly for 10 seconds and then says “$5 plus tip” . What?!? What’s crazy is I work in the service industry so I’m a CHRONIC overtipper . Every time I go in there I tip a few bucks on the card for the cashier to turn around anc grab a pizza a foot behind them and hand it to me . My first reaction was to cuss her out but I bit my lip and told her that’s not the way this works . I took 5 one dollar bills I had crinkled up in my pocket , threw them on on the counter , grab my pizza and left . Makes me wonder how many people she hustled who were in a hurry or not paying attention . Crazy .

Yes. Giving somebody five pieces of money for that. Come on. Take your change or use a debit card.
A lot of cashiers actually prefer to get the extra bills and change because it helps them give change to future customers. I've had them thank me for doing it. Otherwise they have to trade out with the other registers when they accumulate too many large bills.

Reactions: sand1 and chief2791
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT