ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Generators??

gamecockfan04

Aug 13, 2003
With the threat again for snow/ice I am looking at a smallish inverter generator to power a few things in the event my power at home goes out (it was out for about 6 hrs on Sunday). I was looking for something under $600, but at this point cant find anything in stores. The champions look pretty decent and the Predator 3500 is nice but looks way overpriced. Any recommendations, or anyone looking to sell something? Again I think around 2200 is about the lowest wattage but under $600.

Your best bet may be Amazon at this point. But it is unlikely to be here until next week. I would also consider a dual fuel option when selecting. Then you can run on propane in addition to gas. Good thing about running on propane is that you don't have to worry about having bad gas in it or clogging the carb with gas left in it. Propane does have less power than gas so the output is less. I have an Aipower from Amazon that has run fine for the last few years. Though I have to be careful to drain out the gas from the carb each time I store it. Also pay attention to the running watts, not just the starting watts.

2200 watts is not going to run much. The better question is what are you looking to run off of it? Light or 2, tv and refrigerator/ freezer would all work. Not going to run an electric hot water heater or any big appliances.

Reactions: gamecockfan04
I have a Honda generator that has lasted me for 10 years and runs perfect. 2000 watts is enough to run my electronics and keep my food cold. Very quiet too, so it doesn't drive us crazy.

Reactions: gamecockfan04
I bought a Honda EB2800I new for $800 on ebay with free shipping. They run about $1100. Starting wattage of 2800, rated at 2500. I like all things Honda. Always cranks on the first pull, as does my lawnmower.

Reactions: cocks rule
That depends on the unit. Their whole home generators are notorious for failing.
Not my experience. One of the most reliable products that I have every had. There are generator forums where these are discussed and Generac is by far the dominant player in the residential whole house market. Honda is good with the small generators and Kohler for big mansions and businesses.

An engineer here and I hook up big generators all the time (in the gas business). I think the best bang for the buck less than $600 will be the Firman generator from Costco, but the best value is the Yamaha. BUT, the Firman is made in China as are almost every generator that will be mentioned in this thread with the exception of the Honda and the Yamaha. None of the China made units (Generac, Firman, Northern Tool's brand, ETC. ETC.) are as technically well made as the Japanese brands. The metalurgy is better, the tolerances are better, etc... But, you can buy two Firman's for what a Honda will cost you.

Dual fuel is nice, but you may not get that on the little 2000W model. They (Costco) occasionally have a generator with a Yamaha engine, but it ISN'T a Yamaha generator, just uses a Yamaha motor. It's a pretty nice unit for the money.

If you want quality and value, order a Yamaha generator online. The last time I looked the little 2000W inverter model was about $800. Honda is REALLY nice as well, but it is $1000. I actual prefer the Yamaha over the Honda because it has a few more features like an On/Off gas valve so you can drain the carburetor each time you run. This is a MUST. It will last forever if you do this and run non-ethanol fuel ONLY. Don't worry about running a little genset on propane, use the non-ethanol fuel and run the carbureator dry after each use and you will be fine. It can sit for years and will crank on the 2nd-3rd pull, if you run a Yamaha or Honda. The China brands are a crap shoot long term.

My first choice, spend a little more and get the Yamaha, it is as well made (maybe even better) than the Honda, has more features than the Honda, and is head and shoulders technically better than ALL the China made stuff. The Yamaha will run when you need it without you having to fight it in the dark.

Not my experience. One of the most reliable products that I have every had. There are generator forums where these are discussed and Generac is by far the dominant player in the residential whole house market. Honda is good with the small generators and Kohler for big mansions and businesses.
I was going by the 4 people that I know that have them. Of the 4 only 2 are still current. The 2 that are not were replaced with CAT. The other 2 had work. But mine is a limited sample. Knowing their experiences I personally would not buy them.

I would stay away from Generac. I've touched a bunch (hundreds) of them, as well as MANY other brands. They are great at marketing to residential consumers, but they are technically challenged.

With the threat again for snow/ice I am looking at a smallish inverter generator to power a few things in the event my power at home goes out (it was out for about 6 hrs on Sunday). I was looking for something under $600, but at this point cant find anything in stores. The champions look pretty decent and the Predator 3500 is nice but looks way overpriced. Any recommendations, or anyone looking to sell something? Again I think around 2200 is about the lowest wattage but under $600.
I saw a bunch stacked in Home Depot Generac 6500 for $689. I think the output was a running 5000 watts. FYI

Reactions: king ward
I have a whole home Kohler with the automatic transfer and when Hurricane Matthew came through I was without power for 8 seconds while my neighbors went 6 days with no power.

Got me a Westinghouse 12500 max, 9500 running watt generator from Home Depot. Had to order it... around $1100.00. Ive only run it a few times but with no problems. Recently had my house wired where I have an outlet outside and can just plug it in straight to my breaker box but havent tried that setup yet. Supposedly, it should run the first level of my home (aprox 1100 sq) a/c and all no problem.
My advise would be if you buy one, go as big as you can to give you options in the future. This was the best option for me because I wasnt about to spend 10K or more for a built in generator and as I get older, ac and stuff gets harder to do without.

You can get cheaper generators with higher wattage, but a lot don't have an inverter built in. I've always heard that could cause issues for sensitive electronics.

I have a whole home Kohler with the automatic transfer and when Hurricane Matthew came through I was without power for 8 seconds while my neighbors went 6 days with no power.

I've been considering that for years. Will probably go ahead and pull the trigger in a few months. Prices are crazy right now. The Honda works ok to get me through something small, but I'm over running drop cords at this point in my life.

I was looking at a Westinghouse on Amazon. $500 for 5300 watts. Good enough for a refrigerator to keep the food from spoiling and a couple heaters if it's in the dead of winter.

As above, the prices are high now. If you can afford to wait (I know ow not for the OP), it would be nice to wait.

I would stay away from Generac. I've touched a bunch (hundreds) of them, as well as MANY other brands. They are great at marketing to residential consumers, but they are technically challenged.
There aren't many brands that do whole house generators. About four providers have 98% of the market.

What would that cost for one that would power a moderately- sized home?
You have to specify if you mean natural gas or propane. I have had both. For propane you need a tank. Turnkey for both is probably $8,000 to $10,000. That's a 23 KW generator with automatic transfer switch, smaller house may use an 18KW.

Reactions: Bftboy and Goody101
I've got an 8000 watt that ran me less than $1000. it won't run everything all at once, but I have 2 Central Heat/AC systems, multiple fridges / freezers, and a 3400sf home, so don't really expect it to. I do have my house wired so I can just plug it straight into my house and use the switches to decide what to run and when.

An engineer here and I hook up big generators all the time (in the gas business). I think the best bang for the buck less than $600 will be the Firman generator from Costco, but the best value is the Yamaha. BUT, the Firman is made in China as are almost every generator that will be mentioned in this thread with the exception of the Honda and the Yamaha. None of the China made units (Generac, Firman, Northern Tool's brand, ETC. ETC.) are as technically well made as the Japanese brands. The metalurgy is better, the tolerances are better, etc... But, you can buy two Firman's for what a Honda will cost you.

Dual fuel is nice, but you may not get that on the little 2000W model. They (Costco) occasionally have a generator with a Yamaha engine, but it ISN'T a Yamaha generator, just uses a Yamaha motor. It's a pretty nice unit for the money.

If you want quality and value, order a Yamaha generator online. The last time I looked the little 2000W inverter model was about $800. Honda is REALLY nice as well, but it is $1000. I actual prefer the Yamaha over the Honda because it has a few more features like an On/Off gas valve so you can drain the carburetor each time you run. This is a MUST. It will last forever if you do this and run non-ethanol fuel ONLY. Don't worry about running a little genset on propane, use the non-ethanol fuel and run the carbureator dry after each use and you will be fine. It can sit for years and will crank on the 2nd-3rd pull, if you run a Yamaha or Honda. The China brands are a crap shoot long term.

My first choice, spend a little more and get the Yamaha, it is as well made (maybe even better) than the Honda, has more features than the Honda, and is head and shoulders technically better than ALL the China made stuff. The Yamaha will run when you need it without you having to fight it in the dark.
I have seen the actual blue Yamaha generators in Costco.

Here is my question? A 6500 watt generator from Yamaha is $4300. A no Chinese brand is $1500 max. Is the Yamaha really going to last 3 times as long? What I’m getting at is, that’s a huge price difference. I have seen Chinese 10000watt for $1500. I like the plug in instead of a whole home because I can use it other places.

Got me a Westinghouse 12500 max, 9500 running watt generator from Home Depot. Had to order it... around $1100.00. Ive only run it a few times but with no problems. Recently had my house wired where I have an outlet outside and can just plug it in straight to my breaker box but havent tried that setup yet. Supposedly, it should run the first level of my home (aprox 1100 sq) a/c and all no problem.
My advise would be if you buy one, go as big as you can to give you options in the future. This was the best option for me because I wasnt about to spend 10K or more for a built in generator and as I get older, ac and stuff gets harder to do without.
Yes, this generator will typically run a single A/C unit and most other stuff in the house. This is a good budget setup for a DIY person. I have a similar set up at my house.

This is NOT an INVERTER generator. The big units are NOT INVERTER based, only the small units, and yes, inverters are MUCH cleaner for electronics.

$10k plus. It depends on your gas source as well. LP Gas or natural gas. You will spend from a grand to a few grand to get gas connected and then there is the LP Gas tank costs and size.
How long do you want to run before you have to be refilled? Typoically people want a week, which is expensive.

I've been considering that for years. Will probably go ahead and pull the trigger in a few months. Prices are crazy right now. The Honda works ok to get me through something small, but I'm over running drop cords at this point in my life.
Generators are at least 6 months out right now, and that doesn't include getting it installed. I would wait another year if you can. The ice storms in the Midwest last year and still causing aftershocks in the industry. It will take at least another year or two for things to return to normal.

I have seen the actual blue Yamaha generators in Costco.
Look closely at that box, I saw them too. I almost bought one because I helped an elderly friend purchase and set up a Yamaha she bought online (got a good deal on it, very happy) and I was shocked at the price. After reading the fine print, it's a Yamaha engine powering a generator made in China by another company. This is what you saw, it has a Yamaha engine, NOT a Yamaha generator. BUT, they do get great reviews, so it's probably a VERY good value for the price. That Yamaha engine is the cream of the crop.

"A-iPower SC2000iv Inverter Generator 2000W Running Watts,1600W Starting Watts with Yamaha Engine, 120 Rated voltage, Yamaha MZ80 engine,..."​

Reactions: Tmac069
Mine is also hooked into our cities natural gas.

Would a surge protector give you more protection on the electronics?
Simply answer is no. Surge protectors are trying to clip a peak (surge) that comes through. When the electronics see a sudden rise in the Sine wave, they try to tamp it down. Your power company provides a very clean sine wave that has a 60 hertz cycle (up/down 60 times per second) with an amplitude of 120 volts (the distance from zero). A generator tries to do this, but it is NOT as precise as what the power company gives you.

A typical generator rotates am armature inside a stator to create an electrical impulse. The engine HAS to spin at a precise speed to generate 60 hertz. For generators, this is tough as the motor drifts up and down adjusting the load on the motor.
But an inverter based generator uses electronics to clean the engine driven electrical impulses up and provide "cleaner" power.
If you want to clean up your power, use a UPS. An Uninterruptible Power Supply, available at any office supply store or Amazon. A UPS takes A/C power, converts it to D/C power (runs it through a battery), and then converts it back to A/C power. So, if you are really concerned about your electronics, get a normal generator and run your electronics through a UPS. JMO

Reactions: bucketdad
Came upon this wattage calculator. What I am not sure of is, what is the difference between portable and inverters?
They are both "Portable". One is just a generator; that is a motor spinning an armature in a stator and you get out of it what comes out. An inverter generator is the same as the "portable" generator in the previous sentence, but it has an inverter installed (read, electronics) that cleans up the raw sine wave being produced by the generator (motor/armature/stator). In other words, an inverter generator is just a standard generator with some electronics to clean up the sine wave being sent to the outlet for your use.

Simply answer is no. Surge protectors are trying to clip a peak (surge) that comes through. When the electronics see a sudden rise in the Sine wave, they try to tamp it down. Your power company provides a very clean sine wave that has a 60 hertz cycle (up/down 60 times per second) with an amplitude of 120 volts (the distance from zero). A generator tries to do this, but it is NOT as precise as what the power company gives you.

A typical generator rotates am armature inside a stator to create an electrical impulse. The engine HAS to spin at a precise speed to generate 60 hertz. For generators, this is tough as the motor drifts up and down adjusting the load on the motor.
But an inverter based generator uses electronics to clean the engine driven electrical impulses up and provide "cleaner" power.
If you want to clean up your power, use a UPS. An Uninterruptible Power Supply, available at any office supply store or Amazon. A UPS takes A/C power, converts it to D/C power (runs it through a battery), and then converts it back to A/C power. So, if you are really concerned about your electronics, get a normal generator and run your electronics through a UPS. JMO
Thanks pablo for the info. Really good stuff here. Thanks for taking the time to type all that out.

Reactions: Ratheolcoach
Might want to continue reading. I’m obviously not the only one with this opinion.
Sorry Bud, going on 5 years and running 💪 !!! Replace battery at 5 years on my whole house 22 kw Generac generator. Also, did an oil change once a year for 🖐 years!!!

Sorry Bud, going on 5 years and running 💪 !!! Replace battery at 5 years on my whole house 22 kw Generac generator. Also, did an oil change once a year for 🖐 years!!!
I’m glad you have had good success with it. Just not where my hard earned money will go with the numerous people that have told me otherwise. Not to mention a couple in here that seem very knowledgeable on the subject and the many horror story on the internet about them.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT