ADVERTISEMENT

OT : good shrub or tree for fence line

stevestrat2

Jun 12, 2010
South Carolina
My next door neighbor took a bunch of trees out which has messed up my privacy in the backyard - so I am looking at putting something out against the chain link fence to help with that - I want trees or shrubs rather than a stockade wood fence and I would rather not have prickly leaves. I know about leyland cypress but what else would y'all suggest - I value you knucklehead's opinion for some reason :)

In the same area is the green giant arbortivae. It is a fast growing evergreen, kinda of slender at the top and can get to 40 ft. Red tips is a good cover, don't know how healthy they are.

My next door neighbor took a bunch of trees out which has messed up my privacy in the backyard - so I am looking at putting something out against the chain link fence to help with that - I want trees or shrubs rather than a stockade wood fence and I would rather not have prickly leaves. I know about leyland cypress but what else would y'all suggest - I value you knucklehead's opinion for some reason :)

I'm in the same boat with you. Lot behind me was sold - 3.5ac of thick trees and the new owner mowed down over
1/2 of them. Moron. Good bye shade. Goodbye privacy. I'm looking at the Thuja green giants. Only problem is, when you need to screen 120' or so, they get pricey!

In the same area is the green giant arbortivae. It is a fast growing evergreen, kinda of slender at the top and can get to 40 ft. Red tips is a good cover, don't know how healthy they are.
Yep - Thuja green giant - Supposed to be very fast-growing. Red tips are old school, and have a bad reputation for developing that leaf spot disease and dying out. Cleyera [Japonica] is very similar to the red tip with a better health track record (although I've had 2 or 3 up and die at <10yrs old).

I'm in the same boat with you. Lot behind me was sold - 3.5ac of thick trees and the new owner mowed down over
1/2 of them. Moron. Good bye shade. Goodbye privacy. I'm looking at the Thuja green giants. Only problem is, when you need to screen 120' or so, they get pricey!

Yep - Thuja green giant - Supposed to be very fast-growing. Red tips are old school, and have a bad reputation for developing that leaf spot disease and dying out. Cleyera [Japonica] is very similar to the red tip with a better health track record (although I've had 2 or 3 up and die at <10yrs old).

I had a big bunch of redtips down here in coastal Ga. and recently had to take them out. I don't even see them around here anymore.

Carolina Sapphire is a cypress tree grows pretty fast.

Pampas grass is a good screener ... but probably not up against a fence.

Blueberries.

10 ft. Wooden fence...

You'll be glad you did in years to come .... maintaining the fence is a lot cheaper
down the road .... especially if you plan on being there a while ...
I have had to spend big bucks to have dead trees removed :-(
Flowers and shrubs along the fence line ... :)

Not sure if they'll grow in your area, but I planted several Oleanders (about 2' high) a year ago. Now they're about 4' and it wouldn't surprise me to see them grow to 6' a year and a half after I planted them. If you go with something like that, do some research... some types are heartier and will handle the winter better than others.

Red tips will do it. Don't plant them closer than four feet apart nor too close to the fence. It will take a few years, but they make a great hedge, especially if you prune them back once they get some height. If left alone, they would become trees - thicker even than Bradford Pear trees.

Don't go with Leyland Cypress. Between my next door neighbor and myself, we lost a row of about 45 during Matthew. I installed a 6' vinyl privacy fence and he is continuing it on his lot. Pressure wash a couple of times a year and no foliage to clean up.

Leyland Cypress! About 12 ft apart. Bullet proof and grow fast. I'm covered on both sides of my property! About 10 ft high to start with!

Another vote for wax myrtles, though I like Cyprus too. Maybe a combination of those, and/or throw in the oleanders to make it more interesting.

My neighbors just put up some kind of ugly prefabricated shed so now my view out of the backdoor is that thing instead of the trees in the next lot over. I have knockout roses against my back fence but those will never hide that monstrosity. My neighbor on the other side has wax myrtles which seem to work pretty well. Another neighbor has leyland cypress which are just ugly.

Leland cypress, they look alot like cedars and grow fast and alot of people plant them for the same reason, privacy. Check em out online.

I would stay away from red tips if you can even find them...they have been decimated in many areas by a fungus. Viburnum makes a nice, fast growing hedge.

I would stay away from red tips if you can even find them...they have been decimated in many areas by a fungus. Viburnum makes a nice, fast growing hedge.
Hemlock makes a nice hedge as does Ligustrum. As they grow, keep them trimmed back so that
they can spread at the bottom. Either will make a very thick, dense hedge

Thanks yall, still mulling it over- anyone know anything about a English Cherry Laurel? And if so, do they look OK as individual shrubs or do they have to be shaped into a hedge? I don't want to have to really maintain anything I plant back there. thx again- Steve

Thanks yall, still mulling it over- anyone know anything about a English Cherry Laurel? And if so, do they look OK as individual shrubs or do they have to be shaped into a hedge? I don't want to have to really maintain anything I plant back there. thx again- Steve
Cherry Laurel will make a beautiful hedge, if you don't mind spending the big bucks! One gallon
containers, run approx. $30.00 each in most areas of the country.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT