ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Great Hash Coverage in P&C Today

jroller

Jan 12, 2003
I mentioned on here a while back that Hanna Raskin, the Post and Courier's Food editor, had asked me which SCBBQ restaurants served hash. Took a couple of weeks and put together a list for her and, at the same time, took the opportunity to put an article and map together on the site.

Obviously, she was working on a piece for the paper. Well, it's BBQ Hash week at the Post and Courier, and she did a fantastic job covering the topic. It is a must-read if you are a hash or SCBBQ fan.

@Dizzy01 posted about it as I was writing this, but I thought it was so well done I'd make a new post about it.

It is an in-depth look at hash in which she quotes lots of restaurant owners on the topic. Plus she breaks down the liver vs no-liver trend. She hit up virtually every place east of 95 (P&C coverage area) and has blurbs/photos/quotes on their hash.

Main problem may be that P&C is behind a paywall, but you get two articles free/mo. Enjoy:

Main Article
Hash, South Carolina’s greatest contribution to barbecue canon, fading across Lowcountry

Related Pieces
Where to find hash in eastern South Carolina (destination-bbq.com gets a mention!)

The Liver Contingent

The Non-Liver Crowd

Good read. Tastes definitely change over time. Jellied veal used to be popular in the States.

Last edited:
Reactions: jroller
Good read. Tastes definitely change over time. Jellied veal used to be popular in the States.

True...and that liver hash can come as a surprise when you're used to a different style of hash. For me, though what surprised me was the hash like they serve up around Greenwood, Union, etc. Midway's beef hash comes to mind. Very different than what I have enjoyed from the Midlands, in the Lowcountry, and up to the Pee Dee. Beef being the primary ingredient. It also tends to be stringy and thick instead of more ground and soupier. Some folks up that way just serve it on white bread. That would never work with the hash you get at Dukes or Maurice's. That's not a complaint, mind you. Just an observation. All hash is good hash if you ask me.

I feel Rodney's pain on getting rice right.

Definitely explains why you almost always get what I call "institutional rice." It's not worth a damn on its own, but it's hard to fault a restaurant for making that choice.

Reactions: bucketdad
I feel Rodney's pain on getting rice right.
Hmm...what is the issue they are talking about? I have made rice for different dishes for as many as 100 people before with never an issue. For hash, gumbo, and beans and rice. And nothing more than a store brand rice. I've made it for myself the last three nights for bulgogi(steak, pork, and chicken different nights). I think it's the easiest side in the world to prepare.

Hmm...what is the issue they are talking about? I have made rice for different dishes for as many as 100 people before with never an issue. For hash, gumbo, and beans and rice. And nothing more than a store brand rice. I've made it for myself the last three nights for bulgogi(steak, pork, and chicken different nights). I think it's the easiest side in the world to prepare.
If you have a tip for making what I would consider good hash rice, I'd truely like to hear it. You mention gumbo, I dont have a problem with that, gummy is easy. I got that nailed. Lol. Beans and rice is supposed to be a little soupy imo so I dont have a problem with that either. But hash and rice is a different animal imo. What I look for is no clumpness. Each grain is kept individual and very little moisture in them so they can soak up what little juice the hash has. I cant for the life of me get it they way I would like. Just adequate at best.

Last edited:
If you have a tip for making what I would consider good hash rice, I'd truely like to hear it. You mention gumbo, I dont have a problem with that, gummy is easy. I got that nailed. Lol. Beans and rice is supposed to be a little soupy imo so I dont have a problem with that either. But hash and rice is a different animal imo. What I look for is no clumpness. Each grain is kept individual and very little moisture in them so they can soak up what little juice the hash has. I cant for the life of me get it they way I would like. Just adequate at best.
We could be of different minds as to what a good hash rice is. I make the same rice for Everything except for rice which I latter use for fried rice....that needs to be refrigerated and get cold before using. I generally like a little stickiness to my rice. To me is holds what you are pairing it with better. Rice that doesn't stick to it self some, for me is like pasta boiled with too much oil in the water. The sauce just slides off it.

My standard technique for rice is 2 parts water to 1 part rice. Get the water boiling first! Salt and small amount of butter. Throw in the rice. Return to a boil and reduce temp to low and cover with a tightly fitting lid. Never open or stir it. Cook 20 minutes. Take off the burner and rest for 10-15 minutes. Fluff and serve.

It's about as basic a technique as there is. It was never failed me.

I have made less sticky rice for stir fry by rinsing and then soaking the rice for twenty minutes. Then using the same technique but reducing the water to 1 1/2 to 1 ratio. It's less sticky, but not my favorite way to eat rice.

I make a lot a rice dishes. I probably make beans and rice 50 different ways. White rice, yellow rice....black beans, pinto, small red. All kinds. I'll just eat rice with butter. Or with sugar and rice vinegar....which makes a good sushi rice.

Ward's BBQ in Sumter is still my favorite hash. Hog Heaven is just down the road from me. Good too.

I know I was probably no help with the rice. But there it is. Bon Appetit

Anybody know any way to get hash delivered down here to Ga?

We could be of different minds as to what a good hash rice is. I make the same rice for Everything except for rice which I latter use for fried rice....that needs to be refrigerated and get cold before using. I generally like a little stickiness to my rice. To me is holds what you are pairing it with better. Rice that doesn't stick to it self some, for me is like pasta boiled with too much oil in the water. The sauce just slides off it.

My standard technique for rice is 2 parts water to 1 part rice. Get the water boiling first! Salt and small amount of butter. Throw in the rice. Return to a boil and reduce temp to low and cover with a tightly fitting lid. Never open or stir it. Cook 20 minutes. Take off the burner and rest for 10-15 minutes. Fluff and serve.

I have made less sticky rice for stir fry by rinsing and then soaking the rice for twenty minutes. Then using the same technique but reducing the water to 1 1/2 to 1 ratio. It's less sticky, but not my favorite way to eat rice.

I make a lot a rice dishes. I probably make beans and rice 50 different ways. White rice, yellow rice....black beans, pinto, small red. All kinds. I'll just eat rice with butter. Or with sugar and rice vinegar....which makes a good sushi rice.

Ward's BBQ in Sumter is still my favorite hash. Hog Heaven is just down the road from me. Good too.

Damn, just reading this post makes me hungry.

Outstanding. Great article. Well done!!!

Agreed. As someone who has written about the subject, I am impressed with the breadth of coverage, especially when considering the ancillary pieces published alongside the main article. Yes, I know that is her full-time job, but you have to applaud a job well done. Now I know why info I provided in late Oct./early Nov. took until Feb. to see publication.

I sort of developed a crazy way to cook rice that works for me. 2 to 1 water to rice, of course. I usually cook 4 cups water with 2 cups rice. Add all to pot with salt and butter. Bring to a boil. Allow to boil all the water down to just at the top of the rice. Cut to simmer, put top on. Set timer for 5 min. After 5 min, cut stove off. Time for another 5. After that, remove from burner and let rest until needed (at least 10-15 min.) Not sure if it would work as well with less rice/water, but get great, individual grains virtually every time.

Anybody know any way to get hash delivered down here to Ga? Damn, just reading this post makes me hungry.

Maurice's will ship it right to your door.

Agreed. As someone who has written about the subject, I am impressed with the breadth of coverage, especially when considering the ancillary pieces published alongside the main article. Yes, I know that is her full-time job, but you have to applaud a job well done. Now I know why info I provided in late Oct./early Nov. took until Feb. to see publication.

I sort of developed a crazy way to cook rice that works for me. 2 to 1 water to rice, of course. I usually cook 4 cups water with 2 cups rice. Add all to pot with salt and butter. Bring to a boil. Allow to boil all the water down to just at the top of the rice. Cut to simmer, put top on. Set timer for 5 min. After 5 min, cut stove off. Time for another 5. After that, remove from burner and let rest until needed (at least 10-15 min.) Not sure if it would work as well with less rice/water, but get great, individual grains virtually every time.

Thanks jroller! I'll give it a try. In fact you've inspired me to pick up a butt tomorrow. Cant wait

Cool. If you're going to cook some hash to go along with that I've published a few hash recipes on the site. The Dukes-style hash recipe someone shared with us years ago is actually one of the top pages on the site, traffic-wise.
Oh I'll be doing hash. Pick up the butt on Friday, smoke the butt on saturday and cook the hash on Sunday. Pretty set in my ways on the hash, but ill look over those recipes. Always interested in tweaks. :)

BTW, does Coupe still post? Only on Insider? I hope Jim is ok..

True...and that liver hash can come as a surprise when you're used to a different style of hash. For me, though what surprised me was the hash like they serve up around Greenwood, Union, etc. Midway's beef hash comes to mind. Very different than what I have enjoyed from the Midlands, in the Lowcountry, and up to the Pee Dee. Beef being the primary ingredient. It also tends to be stringy and thick instead of more ground and soupier. Some folks up that way just serve it on white bread. That would never work with the hash you get at Dukes or Maurice's. That's not a complaint, mind you. Just an observation. All hash is good hash if you ask me.

Definitely explains why you almost always get what I call "institutional rice." It's not worth a damn on its own, but it's hard to fault a restaurant for making that choice.

Your statement "All hash is good hash if you ask me" says it all. I'm originally from Union and love the Upstate hash that Midway and others make. Nothing like a "hash sandwich" on white bread, some even add a little mayonnaise. That said I married a girl from Orangeburg and was quickly introduced to this strange concoction called "hash on rice" including that from Duke's in O'burg, Ward's in Sumter, and Sweatman's in Holly Hill. All I can say is Yummy, I love it all!

I mentioned on here a while back that Hanna Raskin, the Post and Courier's Food editor, had asked me which SCBBQ restaurants served hash. Took a couple of weeks and put together a list for her and, at the same time, took the opportunity to put an article and map together on the site.

Obviously, she was working on a piece for the paper. Well, it's BBQ Hash week at the Post and Courier, and she did a fantastic job covering the topic. It is a must-read if you are a hash or SCBBQ fan.

@Dizzy01 posted about it as I was writing this, but I thought it was so well done I'd make a new post about it.

It is an in-depth look at hash in which she quotes lots of restaurant owners on the topic. Plus she breaks down the liver vs no-liver trend. She hit up virtually every place east of 95 (P&C coverage area) and has blurbs/photos/quotes on their hash.

Main problem may be that P&C is behind a paywall, but you get two articles free/mo. Enjoy:

Main Article
Hash, South Carolina’s greatest contribution to barbecue canon, fading across Lowcountry

Related Pieces
Where to find hash in eastern South Carolina (destination-bbq.com gets a mention!)

The Liver Contingent

The Non-Liver Crowd
The "Hash" article was extremely well researched and written. By the way, I like hash.

I have used the same recipe for years and it works every time. The trick is to keep lid on (don't peek) for 20 minutes. Time it and remove as soon as you get signal.

Thanks.
I'm fixing to order whatevers bigger than a crate.

Best hash I tried was over in Morocco
ths.png

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT