ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Have any of you ever attended any Olympic Games/Events?

Freddie.B.Cocky

Jul 19, 2002
If so, where and what were your experiences? Both good and bad.

I have always wanted to attend an entire Olympic game from start to finish but have never done so yet. I had a golden opportunity when the summer games were held in Atlanta but didn't take advantage. Although I would not have had the time to attend each event.

Last edited:
.Yes in Atlanta. I saw dream team basketball, boxing, and track and field. Lots of people and fun. The bomb went off shortly after we left Glad we missed it

.Yes in Atlanta. I saw dream team basketball, boxing, and track and field. Lots of people and fun. The bomb went off shortly after we left Glad we missed it

That's the part of the Olympics I think I would enjoy, being around the people and having fun.

Wife and I attended the 1992 Summer Olympics in Barcelona courtesy of NBC. Had access to every venue, with better seats than a lot of the celebs that were there. Met Lou Holtz on our way over and Len Dawson while we were there. The opening ceremony was awesome! Sat behind Connie Sellecca and her son during the men's basketball game - and even swapped Olympic pins with her. Treated like royalty the entire trip. Then we flew to London for a week before returning to the states. If you ever get the chance to go, don't pass up the opportunity. Nothing like it!

Reactions: Freddie.B.Cocky
Wife and I attended the 1992 Summer Olympics in Barcelona courtesy of NBC. Had access to every venue, with better seats than a lot of the celebs that were there. Met Lou Holtz on our way over and Len Dawson while we were there. The opening ceremony was awesome! Sat behind Connie Sellecca and her son during the men's basketball game - and even swapped Olympic pins with her. Treated like royalty the entire trip. Then we flew to London for a week before returning to the states. If you ever get the chance to go, don't pass up the opportunity. Nothing like it!

WOW! What a great experience you had, boy would I love to do something like that. Just for curiosity, how did you get to go courtesy of NBC? That sounds like a dream come true.

In Atlanta, saw the Olympic Torch runner run by, near our neighborhood on the way to the lightning, Men's volleyball USA vs. Poland and since it was 5 minutes away went to see archery. I know it sounds boring, but when your up close you get a true appreciation of the sport. Men's baseball USA vs Netherlands
Spent one day in Centennial Park (2 days after the bombing). Where we had the good fortune that on that particular day on the main stage was a band from South Africa, while in the middle of their set they introduced their "friend" Carlos Santana. We were no more than 15 ft from the stage.

If so, where and what were your experiences? Both good and bad.

I have always wanted to attend an entire Olympic game from start to finish but have never done so yet. I had a golden opportunity when the summer games were held in Atlanta but didn't take advantage. Although I would not have had the time to attend each event.

I watched about 40 minutes of the Winter Olympics. Hey, wasn't it great. Is it over yet?

Sailing in Atlanta games back in 96 was held off Ga. coast not far from house, but I was busy. I kind of wish now I'd at least gone out to see a sail go by or something.

WOW! What a great experience you had, boy would I love to do something like that. Just for curiosity, how did you get to go courtesy of NBC? That sounds like a dream come true.
It was a dream come true. We had just come home after spending a week on vacation at the Isle of Palms with kids and family. Naturally the light on our answering machine was flashing, and the first message was from a colleague at work who excitedly was screaming "You're going to the Olympics!"

I thought it was a joke at first. But, after a making a few calls, I was able to verify that my name had been pulled out of the hat at work based upon the achievements our unit had made in increasing Express Mail sales during the previous quarter. The US Postal Service (Express Mail) was actually a rather large sponsor for the Summer Olympics in 1992 and NBC had started a contest among their sponsors with the winners being provided an all expenses paid trip for the week of their choice to the Summer Olympics. We opted for the first week because we wanted to see the opening ceremonies. Flights, meals, and accommodations were all 'Conniosseur Class' from start to finish. It definitely was a dream come true.

I went to track & field events in Atlanta in the Olympic Stadium and on the road to watch some of the Marathon. I could not believe how loud the stadium (83,000) got when an American (Bob Kennedy) took the lead with 2 laps to go in the 5,000 meter race. He lead until 300 meters to go, but fell out of the top 3 the last 100 meters.

My dad worked at the Atlanta Olympics, security. He was at the baseball venue and loved every minute of it, though it exhausted him terribly. Was actually too old for standing, the heat, the traffic. But I think it was one of the highlights of his life.

GOCOCKS! BEATLSU! BEATFU! BEATWHOEVERYOUPLAYINSECTOURNAMENT!

Worked outside of Atlanta in 1996 and got to see: rowing (boring), baseball, track and field (gold shoes Johnson win the 200m) and someone win the long jump gold :) Trivia question anyone?, and got to see the gold medal soccer match (Argentina and Nigeria-upset of the games!) Yeah it was great! If you get a chance it is worth it just to support your country!

Atlanta,left the bomb area just before it went off.

Saw Michael Johnson run the 400m in qualifying....think it set a record maybe American record...went on to win the gold. Very impressive....was hot, lots of crowds...took marta....expensive concessions....but a very memorable time glad i went.

It was a dream come true. We had just come home after spending a week on vacation at the Isle of Palms with kids and family. Naturally the light on our answering machine was flashing, and the first message was from a colleague at work who excitedly was screaming "You're going to the Olympics!"

I thought it was a joke at first. But, after a making a few calls, I was able to verify that my name had been pulled out of the hat at work based upon the achievements our unit had made in increasing Express Mail sales during the previous quarter. The US Postal Service (Express Mail) was actually a rather large sponsor for the Summer Olympics in 1992 and NBC had started a contest among their sponsors with the winners being provided an all expenses paid trip for the week of their choice to the Summer Olympics. We opted for the first week because we wanted to see the opening ceremonies. Flights, meals, and accommodations were all 'Conniosseur Class' from start to finish. It definitely was a dream come true.

Boy, you and your wife were very fortunate. Like you said it was a dream come true.

Reactions: Lakecock1
Went to USA / Brazil Volleyball in '96. My wife and daughter were there for the famous Kerri Strug vault.
While that was all great .....I watched absolutely zero minutes of the last two weeks' feel good fest.

Reactions: Lakecock1
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT