ADVERTISEMENT

OT Hearing Aids

TheReelEss

Feb 3, 2005
I finally got the free hearing test. Nearly half my hearing was gone in one ear and 38% in the "good one". So I broke down and bought hearing aids as I've been saying I would for years. May dad was the same, but he never got them. I'm having a time getting used to having a foreign object in one of my ears. When I get it into the ear canal as it's supposed to be it either hurts or itches like crazy. And suggestions? I have a follow-up appointment Saturday and I'll bring it up. BTW, I got Lucid Hearing brand that are Bluetooth compatible. I'm amazed how loud the world is.

Last edited:
Reactions: zack#
I have them too. I paid a lot for a pair of Widex, but enjoy the fit and the ability to adjust them through my iPhone. Money well spent.

Reactions: TheReelEss
I finally got the free hearing test. Nearly half my hearing was gone in one ear and 38% in the "good one". So I broke down and bought hearing aids as I've been saying I would for years. May dad was the same, but he never got them. I'm having a time getting used to having a foreign object in one of my ears. When I get it into the ear canal as it's supposed to be it either hurts or itches like crazy. And suggestions? I have a follow-up appointment Saturday and I'll bring it up. BTW, I got Lucid Hearing brand that are Bluetooth compatible. I'm amazed how loud the world is.

Wearing my second pair. Can't stand them. Itch all time. Pop crackle and make noise. They are hard to get used to. batteries expensive. One pair lasted a couple years. At first you happy with them. BUT. Good luck

Wearing my second pair. Can't stand them. Itch all time. Pop crackle and make noise. They are hard to get used to. batteries expensive. One pair lasted a couple years. At first you happy with them. BUT. Good luck
My uncle told me to get the cheapest ones I could find because they'll end up in the bottom of a drawer. The last straw was when I went out to eat with my sister and her family at the beach. I didn't hear what the waitress said and I couldn't follow much of the conversation if I couldn't read somebody's lips. You can't read them all at once.

Been wearing them for 14 years, it took me probably a month to really get used to them and now I hardly notice they're in my ears. I'm only on my second pair and I imagine it'll be another few years before I get my next set.

I've only ever used the in-canal type, can't speak for the behind the ear ones.

My audiologist started working with me several years ago. I hated them but had a 30 day free trial and turned them back in. I tried again and again but no luck. Sounds were harsh and loud, and everything seemed like a megaphone in my ear. Noise just wasn’t natural sounding. As time passed I became more aware of my hearing loss and kind of withdrew from conversations. I became fed up with folks complaining that I couldn’t hear So I tried again. My audiologist refitted me and asked that I wear them the full 30 days starting with 4 hours per day, then 6, then 8, etc. He said that he was sure I’d adjust and would be happy. He was right. I love them now. I do have occasional itching but no snap, crackle, and pop.

Did a lot of research and believe it or not the Costco brand was always rated very high and was probably the least expensive Bluetooth capable on the market. been wearing them for a year and it is the best $1500 I’ve ever spent. My wife and adult daughters agree !

Did a lot of research and believe it or not the Costco brand was always rated very high and was probably the least expensive Bluetooth capable on the market. been wearing them for a year and it is the best $1500 I’ve ever spent. My wife and adult daughters agree !
Before my dad got his he was debating whether to get them or not, they were $4,000. I told him I would buy the damn things! Lol

I started to lose my hearing around 48...folks said they were talking to me and I could not hear them...My family then said to me that it was aggravating trying to have a conversation when I would say, "say again" or "huh"...I was afraid but went to the Audiologist and had my hearing checked...I have major hearing loss..

So from there I looked at my options...being only 48 at the time, I did not want to wear traditional hearing aids as it would make look and feel old before time...so I went with

I absolutely loved them...cost me 4K per year but I did not mind as I could bathe with them in, swim, etc...the only thing I could not do was skydive or scuba dive and that was it...

5 years later I bought some traditional ones that are hard to see...but boy did they make my ears itch and gave me headaches...so yes they sit at the bottom of the drawer...I only wear them when I'm going to be with a group of people or in a business meeting...

I just keep my tv loud and my cell phone volume up...I also make sure I sit in the front row any place that I'm at and I lip read pretty well too...

I may go back to Lyric...who knows....

I'm not a member of Costco, but I am a member of Sam's so I looked into theirs. These are very similar. I love how the phone works with it. Get a phone call and just answer. It's in your ears. And I like to listen to music or talk radio when I exercise.

Last edited:
Reactions: HanahanCock
I had 3 different Costco in canal hearing aids but got to the point that I had to go to behind the ear type because of the extreme amplification needed. Got Oticon now. They are doing better. I got the rechargeable type and lasts 16 hours or so. I needed higher quality than Costco supplies.

The FDA wants you to be able to buy a hearing aid without a prescription​

This is an example of truly bi-partisan cooperation. Trump signed legislation in 2017 that helped start the process for allowing the selling of a class of hearing aids to the public without a prescription.

Biden issued an Executive Order earlier this year directing the FDA to jumpstart the process.

Both parties in Congress have been working to get this into law and into practice.

also - Per Clark Howard:

Unfortunately, hearing aid prices in the U.S. are also some of the highest. Clark says that while they may cost as little as $200 per pair elsewhere in the world, we’ve had a completely different system here that led to our unbelievably high prices— around $2,691 per pair on average. Thankfully, the costs are starting to go down.

Warehouse clubs and online retailers are two great places to shop for hearing aids that seem to be following the market trend with lower average prices. In this article, I’ll take a close look at both types of retailers as well as a few traditional hearing centers that may be worth considering.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT