ADVERTISEMENT

OT: How many birds do you have?

92Pony

Jan 18, 2011
The trees thread got me to thinking......... I have some feeders in the yard, and have always enjoyed watching birds and noting the various species that are attracted to them, as well as those that just show up or pass through. So, what kinds of birds do you see in your yard/around your house?

Cardinals ('Redbirds')
Blue Jays
Wrens
Finches (house, purple)
Chickadees
Titmice (plural of Titmouse - I had to look it up to be sure - lol)
Nuthatches
Downey Woodpeckers
Red-Bellied Woodpeckers
Pileated Woodpeckers
Hummingbirds
Cowbirds
Sparrows
Bluebirds
Doves

Usually flying well overhead;

Black Vultures (what I had always called 'buzzards')
Red-Tailed Hawks
Crows

Last edited:
Apologies to any of our Avian species if I left you out.
My wife has 3 feeders, 2 hummingbird feeders, and suet cakes

Hummingbirds (several species)
Chickadees
Titmouse
Finch (house and )
Bluebirds
Cardinals
Catbirds
Cowbirds
Woodpeckers (several species)
Thrashers
Mockingbirds
Robins
Doves
Grackles ( not fond of these guys )
Sparrows
Buntings
Eastern Phoebe
Towhee
Hawks (several species)

Reactions: 92Pony
The trees thread got me to thinking......... I have some feeders in the yard, and have always enjoyed watching birds and noting the various species that are attracted to them, as well as those that just show up or pass through. So, what kinds of birds do you see in your yard/around your house?

Cardinals ('Redbirds')
Blue Jays
Wrens
Finches (house, purple)
Chickadees
Nuthatches
Downey Woodpeckers
Red-Bellied Woodpeckers
Pileated Woodpeckers
Hummingbirds
Cowbirds
Sparrows
Bluebirds
Doves

Red-Tailed Hawks
Crows
Wonder why woodpeckers like pecan wood.?

I don't really know what all of them are. We have the usual Robins, Bluejays, Cardinals, Sparrows and some small yellow red and blue colored finch's. The occasional Woodpecker with a red head. There is a Red Tail Hawk in the woods behind my house, and some Crows that chase him around. You can hear Owls at night but I have never seen them.

Being at home so much has gotten me interested in birding.. plus, we bought a home with a wooded area in the back.

Bought a leather-bound bird book from an older woman on craigslist. Stay tuned..

Got all those above and the least frequent, saw a summer tanager, indigo bunting and red winged black bird. Forgot Juncos that come in the Winter. The most unusual was the Red breasted Grosbeak.

Got all those above and the least frequent, saw a summer tanager, indigo bunting and red winged black bird. Forgot Juncos that come in the Winter. The most unusual was the Red breasted Grosbeak.
Those are some cool ones to see! They really catch your eye with their vibrant colors.

I don’t know what breed half of them are. But the coolest thing is an Owl outside my window in the mornings. I hear him all the time but have only seen it two or three times.

Aside from the usual bunting, cardinal, wrens and others, I get great horned owls, hawks, bald eagles, kites, storks and ospreys usually a couple of times a week... and cranes, turkey buzzards, crows and blue herons pretty much daily.

Last edited:
Sparrows, gold finches, cat birds, mocking birds, cardinals, robins, wrens, hummingbirds, blue jays, hairy woodpeckers, hawks, barn owls, Turkey buzzards, and mosquitoes.

I don't pay a lot of attention day in and day out but we have noticed a very pretty red bird the last several days. We always have large black birds, however, I don't notice what species of black birds they are. The other birds or small brown / black birds.

I don't really know what all of them are. We have the usual Robins, Bluejays, Cardinals, Sparrows and some small yellow red and blue colored finch's. The occasional Woodpecker with a red head. There is a Red Tail Hawk in the woods behind my house, and some Crows that chase him around. You can hear Owls at night but I have never seen them.
Hope you don’t see one. If you are superstitious that is.

I watched part of a documentary on crows the other day. I knew they were intelligent, but it was really interesting. They get a bad rap.

I don't pay a lot of attention day in and day out but we have noticed a very pretty red bird the last several days. We always have large black birds, however, I don't notice what species of black birds they are. The other birds or small brown / black birds.
The brownish, black birds are probably Crackles.

Reactions: Freddie.B.Cocky

Cardinals ('Redbirds')
Blue Jays
Wrens
Finches (house, purple)
Chickadees
Nuthatches
Downey Woodpeckers
Red-Bellied Woodpeckers
Pileated Woodpeckers
Hummingbirds
Cowbirds
Sparrows
Bluebirds
Doves

Red-Tailed Hawks
Crows

Great great grand dad took aim at many a blue belly.

Cardinals
Blue Jays
House Finches
Chickadees
Titmice
Nuthatches
Red-Bellied Woodpeckers
Hummingbirds
Cowbirds
Sparrows
Bluebirds
Robins
Doves
Purple Martins
Indigo Bunting
Mockingbirds
Brown Thrush
Crows
Hawks
Black Vultures[/QUOTE]

Reactions: Gaimcock
Cardinals
Blue Jays
House Finches
Chickadees
Titmice
Nuthatches
Red-Bellied Woodpeckers
Hummingbirds
Cowbirds
Sparrows
Bluebirds
Robins
Doves
Purple Martins
Indigo Bunting
Mockingbirds
Brown Thrush
Crows
Hawks
Black Vultures
[/QUOTE]
So help me the content in regards to your bird types are dead-on in regards to what my mom has at hers!!!

Had to mention such, and it's All Good!!

G

I watched part of a documentary on crows the other day. I knew they were intelligent, but it was really interesting. They get a bad rap.
They harass the heck out of hawks around here... I mean consistently. Poor hawks dont get a break. Not sure why they let them get away with what they do.

Reactions: MookieBlaylock9
Rose throated Hummingbirds
Cardinals
Doves
Blue Jays
Carolina Chickadees
Mockingbirds
Cedar Waxwings.

The Mockingbirds run the neighborhood, the Doves and Cardinals my backyard. The Hummingbird is afraid of nothing, and does what he wants. He will fly up to me, two feet away, hover there for 5 seconds, then zoom away.

They harass the heck out of hawks around here... I mean consistently. Poor hawks dont get a break. Not sure why they let them get away with what they do.
You know, those hawks have to know inside that they could turn around and shred those pests if they wanted to! Haha. I’m like you; I don’t know why they let them by with it.

Reactions: bucketdad
I have various water birds that come to my pond that I really enjoy. On the other hand, I have some sort of Martins that want to build a nest under my carport every year and schitt all over everything including our vehicles. There's a ledge up at the top that they seem to love. Any advice on how to get rid of them short of a shotgun?

I have various water birds that come to my pond that I really enjoy. On the other hand, I have some sort of Martins that want to build a nest under my carport every year and schitt all over everything including our vehicles. There's a ledge up at the top that they seem to love. Any advice on how to get rid of them short of a shotgun?
There is the old fake owl you can put up and there's some flashing lights they may work.

Outside our kitchen window where our "Multi Bird Feeding Station" and "bird bath" are - over the years, I have recorded around 37 different birds and additional birds that were spotted elsewhere on our property - 12 other birds. Therefore, I guess that comes to close to 50 different types.

We live in a deep forest (30 years), so surprisingly the bird that I haven't seen or heard during those years but wish would frequent our property is the Mocking Bird.

We have a whip-poor-will right behind our house now. It was kind of neat for the first three nights but 4 months later it’s a bit old.

We have a whip-poor-will right behind our house now. It was kind of neat for the first three nights but 4 months later it’s a bit old.
LOL!!! I love the sound of a whippoorwill! However, the times I hear them are few and far between.

Can I nominate this topic for most depressing of 2020?
You can nominate it but I don't think it stands a chance against some of the political threads I've seen on here. Plus, if we're able to play football this year I'm pretty sure Muschamp will provide us with some pretty depressing threads too.

Can I nominate this topic for most depressing of 2020?
giphy.gif

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT