ADVERTISEMENT

OT: I finished up my Christmas shopping at the Asheville Mall, Tuesday.

Freddie.B.Cocky

Jul 19, 2002
I only had three relatively small items to buy in order to completed my Christmas shopping list because I made the vast majority of my purchases on-line. I think this was the first time I did 90%, maybe more, of my shopping on-line.

But, the point I wanted to make was the Asheville Mall was almost empty for Christmas only being a week away. I won't say empty but the mall was no more busier than any other Tuesday anytime of the year. I guess on-line purchasing is in full swing when old dudes like myself start buying most of their items on-line.

I would be willing to bet 10 years from now, 15 at most, the Asheville Mall types of brick and mortar retailers will become almost extinct. Plus, some of the stores were under stocked, like JC Penny's, e.g., gosh that place looked like a cheap outlet compared to the way it was once maintained. Additionally, Sears closed their Asheville store this past July. Sears of course, was a large anchor store at the Asheville Mall which made the mall look even more desolate.

This year was the first time since I've been married (43 years) that I haven't done most of my shopping in the malls. We use to shop mostly in the Heywood Mall in Greenville and for that reason, this year just hasn't seemed like Christmas relative to shopping. I use to love to get out with the people during Christmas and see and and feel the merchandise, but those days are gone forever, I guess.

Last edited:
I did most of my shopping on line as well. But the OP has a point, Although many hated it, As for me going out and doing the shopping was part of the Christmas experience

It just gave one a Christmas spirit that was indescribable and one knew, by going shopping, that the Christmas season was upon us. It's hard to get that same rush of Christmas spirit setting in front of your computer ordering gifts on-line, when in many cases you don't have a good feel relative to how the item will actually look once the package arrives at your home.

Last edited:
Reactions: Harvard Gamecock
The Asheville Mall will meet the wrecking ball within 5-10 years. And like an above poster, I always enjoyed going to the mall at Christmas. It was kind of part of the Christmas structure. And it was as much a social event as anything else. Always saw a ton of folks you hadn't seen in a while. Sad to see those days are pretty much gone. Depressing to be a week from Christmas and the mall is empty.

Reactions: Freddie.B.Cocky
So, everybody in your family is getting a bong or hemp hoodie this year? ;)

I was just in Asheville a couple weeks ago and was a tad surprised to see people publicly smoking pot in the street.

In downtown Asheville one might see anything. I cannot for the life of me figure out what is so appealing to visitors, tourist, etc about that crap hole of a town.

Last edited:
In downtown Asheville one might see anything. I cannot for the life of me figure out what is so appealing to visitors, tourist, etc about the crap hole of the town of Asheville.
Aside from the craft beer thing, I don't care for it either. But we have friends that want us to go with them every time we're nearby.

The Asheville Mall will meet the wrecking ball within 5-10 years. And like an above poster, I always enjoyed going to the mall at Christmas. It was kind of part of the Christmas structure. And it was as much a social event as anything else. Always saw a ton of folks you hadn't seen in a while. Sad to see those days are pretty much gone. Depressing to be a week from Christmas and the mall is empty.

I couldn't agree with you more. There was just something exciting going shopping in the malls, as you mentioned seeing old friends, hearing Christmas Music, seeing the Salvation Army representatives ringing the bell to collect donations so many less fortunate may have a Christmas, finding a restaurant to eat, and taking in all of the Christmas festivities, etc. Plus, being able to see and get a good feel for the clothes and other items you were buying for your wife, friends, and easily comparing prices, etc.

Aside from the craft beer thing, I don't care for it either. But we have friends that want us to go with them every time we're nearby.
Did you know that Buncombe County has the highest rate of DUI arrest than any other county in the state of NC for last year I believe. Or so it was reported by WLOS, I personally haven't verified that fact.

Seriously???!...I love it. It's so avant garde.

Well, I'm glad you enjoy Asheville but I could only call it avant garde in the most broadest sense. But, to each their own, if you enjoy the city then well and good.

I only had three relatively small items to buy in order to completed my Christmas shopping list because I made the vast majority of my purchases on-line. I think this was the first time I did 90%, maybe more, of my shopping on-line.

But, the point I wanted to make was the Asheville Mall was almost empty for Christmas only being a week away. I won't say empty but the mall was no more busier than any other Tuesday anytime of the year. I guess on-line purchasing is in full swing when old dudes like myself start buying most of their items on-line.

I would be willing to bet 10 years from now, 15 at most, the Asheville Mall types of brick and mortar retailers will become almost extinct. Plus, some of the stores were under stocked, like JC Penny's, e.g., gosh that place looked like a cheap outlet compared to the way it was once maintained. Additionally, Sears closed their Asheville store this past July. Sears of course, was a large anchor store at the Asheville Mall which made the mall look even more desolate.

This year was the first time since I've been married (43 years) that I haven't done most of my shopping in the malls. We use to shop mostly in the Heywood Mall in Greenville and for that reason, this year just hasn't seemed like Christmas relative to shopping. I use to love to get out with the people during Christmas and see and and feel the merchandise, but those days are gone forever, I guess.
I did 100% of my Christmas shopping on Amazon prime

It just gave one a Christmas spirit that was indescribable and one knew, by going shopping, that the Christmas season was upon us. It's hard to get that same rush of Christmas spirit setting in front of your computer ordering gifts on-line, when in many cases you don't have a good feel relative to how the item will actually look once the package arrives at your home.
Hadn’t thought about it in a while, but the 4 year period of coming back home from college, buying family gifts with my best friend as quickly as humanly possible at the local mall, and generally hanging around the local restaurants and bars and randomly running into high school folks (pre internet and even cell) were some of the best Christmases I ever had until starting a family of my own. But shopping with my friend was truly no small part of that.

Cool, what is the difference between Amazon and Amazon Prime?[/QU
I’m new to this. Was told you pay a membership of 119.00 year and this entities you to free shipping and prime merchandise is marked down considerably. Someone with more knowledge my be able to help you better. I did get a couple of things that I will not receive before Christmas. But I was slack and didn’t start until the 26th

Reactions: Art__Vandelay

By contrast, Concord Mills and the local Target near me have been exploding. Not sure about the more traditional malls in the Charlotte area though.

Like you, I get nostalgic thinking about doing my shopping in person with friends and family. In fact, I tried to get back to that this year. What I ran into though was a lack of inventory and/or limited selection in the brick and mortar stores.

For example, I would hop online to get some ideas for gifts. I would find the size, color, style, etc. that I wanted, but inevitably when I called or visited the store they only had a single color, or the style I wanted was only left in one size. Of course they offered to order to the store, but then I have to make a separate trip back out to pick up the item.

At that point I'm better off ordering on my own and having the item sent to my home directly since most places offer free shipping around the holidays.

Reactions: Freddie.B.Cocky
Years ago my wife and I would sometimes shop the malls on Christmas Eve just to pick up stocking suffers. That was lots of fun but we haven't done that in years, it's just not Christmas if you can't get out with the people and get that Christmas Spirit and wish everyone the complements of the season. I'm going to ask her to do that again this year to try and bring back that nostalgic Christmas feeling.

Reactions: midline
You mean putting up Christmas stuff the day after Halloween didn't help?

Didn't read the entire thread, but I've done most of my shopping on-line for years, you should have been out around Columbiana Friday around noon to 3, it was a madhouse, I went to Dick's, Jared, Best Buy and of course the Liquor Store, take my word be glad you did the bulk of your shopping on-line.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jpcooper
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT