ADVERTISEMENT

OT - I Forgot All About the Men's Championship Game Last Night...

king ward

Aug 10, 1999
Lancaster, SC
...but allow me to say that I am elated that Michigan lost. I don't pull for them in anything.

And I know that Villanova has a great tradition in basketball, but I'd like to think that schools with greater resources and larger constituencies, and which possess the will, could put together what they have - with the right person in place. Villanova has such a person up there right now - Jay Wright.

Reactions: 67gamecock
...but allow me to say that I am elated that Michigan lost. I don't pull for them in anything.

And I know that Villanova has a great tradition in basketball, but I'd like to think that schools with greater resources and larger constituencies, and which possess the will, could put together what they have - with the right person in place. Villanova has such a person up there right now - Jay Wright.
OMG!! I didn't even know Villanova won!! Now that's pretty bad right there!! But, I crashed about halfway thru that Starwars movie on the same channel the game was coming up on!

In closing, King I back you up 100% in regards to Michigan! Ohio state as well, but you get my drift!!

The only interesting part for me was that I picked Nova in one bracket and had money on the line. That still wasn't enough to keep me awake for the finish.

Villanova beat every opponent by double digits in the tournament. It's their 2nd national title in 3 years. I should care about them more, but they just don't move the needle for me. But as long as they're winning the tournament it means UNCarolina isn't, so I'm grateful.

Reactions: king ward
I was impressed by Donte DiVencenzo. That kid can ball. Maybe Frank Martin needs to recruit more "outside shooters."

Me too - I didn’t even know who was playing

In addition to the late start time, the fact that the game is televised on TBS also makes it easy to forget. It's not a channel that I think about or watch very often, so I don't recall seeing any commercials hyping their telecast. It's amazing to me that TBS is able to outbid the networks and ESPN for the television rights to the national championship game.

Glad to see that Michigan didn't win. Also would have liked to have seen a Villanova/UVA final, just from a competitiveness standpoint. They were clearly the two best teams this year.

Reactions: Gaimcock
Maybe I am just getting older, I don't know. But for some reason the whole tournament just didn't excite me like it usually does. Maybe it was that a lot of the bigger names got knocked out along the way. Maybe that it was obvious that unless Villanova just had one of those off games that they seemed to be head and shoulders above the rest. Maybe I got sick of seeing Sister Jean at every turn. I know it was cute, and I am probably cold hearted. But the 15 minutes she got after round one was more than enough for me. After that it got a bit repetitious and boring. Regardless, I just didn't get into this year's tournament as I usually do.

Reactions: DarkCock
In addition to the late start time, the fact that the game is televised on TBS also makes it easy to forget. It's not a channel that I think about or watch very often, so I don't recall seeing any commercials hyping their telecast. It's amazing to me that TBS is able to outbid the networks and ESPN for the television rights to the national championship game.

Glad to see that Michigan didn't win. Also would have liked to have seen a Villanova/UVA final, just from a competitiveness standpoint. They were clearly the two best teams this year.
It's my understanding that CBS actually bid and won, and partners with TBS/TNT/TruTV to carry all the games, especially in the early rounds with multiple concurrent games in play.

Assuming that I am correct, I am surprised that CBS didn't televise the Monday night final.

It's my understanding that CBS actually bid and won, and partners with TBS/TNT/TruTV to carry all the games, especially in the early rounds with multiple concurrent games in play.

Assuming that I am correct, I am surprised that CBS didn't televise the Monday night final.
Likewise.

It used to be said that college basketball sacrifices the significance of its regular season for the tournament. But it's more accurate to say that college basketball sacrifices the significance of its regular season for the first two rounds of the tournament. CBS doesn't even bother to televise the Final Four. Most people's brackets are busted by then, I guess.

It used to be said that college basketball sacrifices the significance of its regular season for the tournament. But it's more accurate to say that college basketball sacrifices the significance of its regular season for the first two rounds of the tournament. CBS doesn't even bother to televise the Final Four. Most people's brackets are busted by then, I guess.
Now that's an interesting observation.......

You might be on to something. Bracket-busting has always happened, but I find not televising the Final Four on the big network mystifying, to say the least. I can't imagine the NCAA welcomes this.

But then, the D-I FBS ersatz playoff is on ESPN and not ABC. Still...........
Ersatz playoff? I take it you want more teams. I'm aware. ESPN has as much cachet as the parent network and I daresay more viewership than TNT or whatever. Also, they show the CFP on three affiliated outlets at once. I myself toggled between the SEC Network and ESPN 2 to listen to the panels talk about the game.

But then, the D-I FBS ersatz playoff is on ESPN and not ABC. Still...........

Disney owns both ABC and ESPN. It makes sense for Disney to increase the value of ESPN as much as possible with all the competition cable is facing.

Ersatz playoff? I take it you want more teams. I'm aware. ESPN has as much cachet as the parent network and I daresay more viewership than TNT or whatever. Also, they show the CFP on three outlets at once.

Plus, the NCAA tournament was a mainstay on CBS for 30+ years. The CFP playoff (and the New Year's Six) is a recent creation, which ESPN was a main player in developing.

Ersatz playoff? I take it you want more teams. I'm aware. ESPN has as much cachet as the parent network and I daresay more viewership than TNT or whatever. Also, they show the CFP on three affiliated outlets at once. I myself toggled between the SEC Network and ESPN 2 to listen to the panels talk about the game.
ESPN does have the cachet, but like TBS it's available on most cable systems one step above the basic, i.e., if you subscribe to cable/satellite and you have ESPN, you almost certainly have TBS (and vice versa). It does have a higher visibility than TNT/TBS and thus charges providers more to carry it.

But the main point is that it's not over-the-air broadcasting.

up 2 date/recently released data from Lancaster county has indicated this is the first sign...................given the game was @ least 3 hours n length, it is strongly recommended u seek immediate medical attention:-(

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT