ADVERTISEMENT

OT: I think the drinking age should be lowered back to 18

ken in sacramento

Jan 16, 2000
I was wondering what this crowd might think?

In the age of Uber the risk of DWI has significantly fallen and trying to keep booze away from young people is a fools errand anyway. Seems like just another way to get cities and attorneys paid. It also causes young folks to binge drink since their destination may not allow under 21 drinking- be it a party or a bar.

I was wondering what this crowd might think?

In the age of Uber the risk of DWI has significantly fallen and trying to keep booze away from young people is a fools errand anyway. Seems like just another way to get cities and attorneys paid. It also causes young folks to binge drink since their destination may not allow under 21 drinking- be it a party or a bar.

I agree....

Where are you that it's Friday?
Good point, when you're retired many days seem like Fridays, then add that we're leaving day after tomorrow to Aruba and our calendar is all out of whack.
I know I won't get any sympathy on this, but it is what it is

Last edited:
Reactions: Silverspur02
The average 18 year old brain on alcohol is a concern. Things are still development and it can also be more hyperactive. 21 years is not out of the woods but better.

Overall, alcohol is a lousy drug and a very slippery slope in terms of abuse. And it's effects often cause impact on others more than other substances. I'd rather see them open up new (safer) avenues of drug use. Stress and mental health issues are now at epidemic levels, and tools that can cut it without ruining the gut-brain axis would be potentially advantageous. (e.g. low dose Psilocybin, MJ, etc.)

Last edited:
The average 18 year old brain on alcohol is a concern. Things are still development and it can also be more hyperactive. 21 years is not out of the woods but better.

Overall, alcohol is a lousy drug and a very slippery slope in terms of abuse. And it's effects often cause impact on others more than other substances. I'd rather see them open up new (safer) avenues of drug use. Stress and mental health issues are now at epidemic levels, and tools that can cut it without ruining the gut-brain axis would be potentially advantageous. (e.g. low dose Psilocybin, MJ, etc.)

Good post. Care to elaborate on "gut-brain axis?" I am intrigued.

Reactions: Gaimcock
My generation never had a problem with finding a drink if we wanted to seriously look for one at most any age after 14. I don't see any problem with the 18 year old legal drinking age. Was in the service at 18, and we had plenty on booze available in the military.

Would like to see the voting age raised to somewhere in the late twenties as looking back on my personal voting record I had no sense about politics at all until I was well into my thirties. I had no thoughts about anything beyond my personal concerns and my career objectives, hazy as they were.

My generation never had a problem with finding a drink if we wanted to seriously look for one at most any age after 14. I don't see any problem with the 18 year old legal drinking age. Was in the service at 18, and we had plenty on booze available in the military.

Would like to see the voting age raised to somewhere in the late twenties as looking back on my personal voting record I had no sense about politics at all until I was well into my thirties. I had no thoughts about anything beyond my personal concerns and my career objectives, hazy as they were.

I've always heard something along the following-

"If you're not a liberal at 25, you have no heart. If you're not a conservative at 45, you have no brain."

I know its hyperbole and not necessarily accurate, but always kind of chuckled at it.

We need to legalize pot, first. At 21 you can legally buy a potentially deadly drug, it's available in every mini-mart in the world, not only does it turn people into assholes... it also turns them into assholes who think they can still drive and wind up murdering innocent people.

The only thing a pothead ever murdered was a bag of Doritos.

We need to legalize pot, first. At 21 you can legally buy a potentially deadly drug, it's available in every mini-mart in the world, not only does it turn people into assholes... it also turns them into assholes who think they can still drive and wind up murdering innocent people.

preach

They want to drink, fine. What worries me is they get to vote.

We can thank the draft during Vietnam (really others before that, too, but Vietnam was "present" & had become very controversial). The argument was that if a young man could be "conscripted" at age 18 & sent to die, he damn well ought to have a say in who may be sending him to his death. That was absolutely correct. Of course, we don't have the draft anymore, but repealing constitutional amendments such as this one ain't at the top of the agenda (...and good luck with that considering that part of the electorate ain't about to let that happen!!).

Last edited:

Not true. Two of my best friends died in high school driving while high. It’s a drug. It’s dangerous.

Let’s see. At 18, a person can legally defend their country, vote, smoke cigarettes (in most states), terminate an unborn child, and other important matters, but can’t have an alcoholic drink? I vote yes, but I expect the person to be held accountable for their drinking (or excess thereof) like anyone else. I had beers when I was 18, but the military expected me to be at work the next morning prepared for anything. It is about accountability and personal responsibility. There are 40 and 50 years olds that alcohol should be illegal if the reason for the illegality is what a person might do when they drink.

This. Period. If we can send someone to fight and die for us he dam well ought to be able to buy a beer.
Okay new law. If you're 18 then join the military and make the drinking age drop back to 18 if you're enlisted. An 18 year old is not as mature as the 18 year old of 1970 I can remember when it was high school students driving school buses. Would you trust an 18 year old today to drive your kids to school?

Okay new law. If you're 18 then join the military and make the drinking age drop back to 18 if you're enlisted. An 18 year old is not as mature as the 18 year old of 1970 I can remember when it was high school students driving school buses. Would you trust an 18 year old today to drive your kids to school?

Hmmm. Good point. Although when I was in school we had our drivers licenses at 14, so teens had some experience driving by the junior or senior year.

Reactions: jimnasium
Also in the late 70s. But the change had more to do with private companies overtaking the busing system and liability insurance companies. Had little to do with the sole fact that the drivers were 18 year old students.

Reactions: Jpcooper

So a pothead can't drive under the influence while his reaction time is down and their heads floating in space is fine and dandy? You better get some new stats from Washington and Colorado.

Reactions: Jpcooper
Good point, when you're retired many days seem like Fridays, then add that we're leaving day after tomorrow to Aruba and our calendar is all out of whack.
I know I won't get any sympathy on this, but it is what it is
The worst part is that while in Aruba, you’ll likely think you’re in Swansea, and that it’s a Monday.

Last edited:

Hmmmmm. I agree drunk driving or any other irresponsible act while drinking is wrong. But, if you think pot is OK, I invite you to any rehab clinic in the country. Ask any resident that is in there for drug rehab and ask them how their addiction started - the majority will say they started by experimenting with pot. Then, it gets progressively worse. I have no problem with pot, but to act like it is not as dangerous, or more dangerous, is naive. It is about accountability. This country has a problem holding people accountable.

We already have a huge problem with Opioid addiction due to legalized, over prescribed medications. Legalize pot and see drug addiction soar in the coming years - much like alcoholism. Already affecting Colorado.

Reactions: GADAWGinIraq
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT