ADVERTISEMENT

OT, If you haven't been to Santa Clara, CA

Also Monterey isn’t a bad drive from San Jose/Santa Clara area, and has some very scenic views along with some great seafood

We drove to Monterrey from SF and visited the aquarium. The aquarium was nice but we toured it on Memorial Weekend and it was so crowded we couldn't enjoy all it had to offer. In fact, if we had known it was going to be that crowded we would have skipped all together. However, the town of Monterrey was very nice and clean. But to think we skipped Big Sur to visit the aquarium makes me sick. We, also, visited Cannery Row, it was okay but nothing that really lit my fire.

However, the drive up and down Hwy Pac 1 was breathtaking and well worth the drive. In fact, it is easily in the top five of all of my pretty drives.

Last edited:
Ain't never steppin' foot in CA unless I'm forced or we're re-taking it by force.

Nope. Not even a little bit.

I know how you might feel from watching TV. California has some politicians and celebrities I HATE. But at the same time it is a beautiful state. It's a shame those bastards live in such a gorgeous place. But what I am recommending, don't let those left wing nut jobs keep you from seeing some beautiful and historic scenery.

Haven't been to commie Russia either... no loss at all. Beautiful places all over the globe. Plenty of options out there. The entire west coast and pretty much the entire northeast are a non starter for me. Won't even consider it.

Now don't rule out Alaska it's a beautiful state or more like a country.

Reactions: funktavious
Its always been interesting to me that some folks who profess to love America so much despise parts of America. Odd.

Kind of have to agree with you to some degree (I'm speaking only for myself). But, we went to NYC for the first time in my life this past summer. Almost didn't want to go. But man, I fell in love with the place. Can't wait to go back.

I love the IDEA of America and freedom. Sadly, I am no longer under the delusion that we are free. We're not. However, some parts are more free than others. That's all.

Partner I'm with you to some degree, although I do enjoy California. But if you want to get a sense of freedom take a trip up into and all around Wyoming and Montana. Man, I loved that trip I was gone for about 15 days and have never felt freer in my life. My goal on that trip was to go where I wanted and stay as long or as little as I wanted in each place I visited. I was not disappointed whatsoever. That remains my all time favorite trip. You can get a cheap flight from Charlotte to Denver and rent a car. It's only about 90 miles from the Denver Airport to Cheyenne. Man, I drove diagonally completely or almost completely across Wyoming and then from Cody, Wy. I drove to Cooke County, MT. and drove the Bear Tooth Trail. Now that was a drive and a half. From there I drove into Billings and spent the night. I wish I had spend the night in Red Lodge. From Billings I headed up to Glacier National Park man that is a beautiful place as well. I plan to make that trip one more time by myself because my wife don't like long drives. But I want to do it one more time.

Last edited:
Ok, I'll be blunt. Any state where I don't have full constitutional rights .... without needing special permits for said rights, I avoid.

IE: as I have gotten older, I've also gotten more politically involved. (By a ton) In short, I won't go to any state that restricts my 2nd Amendment right to "keep and bear" arms. IE: I only go to "open carry" states unless I absolutely can't help it.

MA don't make the list.

Anyway, I've actually been to Taiwan (God Awful place), Hong Kong, China, etc...in my younger days. I lived in Pittsburgh for a while and routinely made the trip down through WV, VA, into NC and when I got back to NC, I vowed to never again go past the NC/VA state line. Been there, done that, no thanks.

None of the other rights mean anything unless the 2nd is absolutely protected. As long as there are those out there who continue to support the cherry picking of all of our rights....I have the right to boycott anything and everything they are associated with. (And I do)

I could list all the places I've been. It's not as if I've been confined to, or afraid to go other places that are "different." I have. I THOROUGHLY enjoyed my stay in Hong Kong and would love to VISIT again with my wife....however, I am keenly aware the political climate has shifted since I was there. When I was there, the Brits still controlled it. (One could probably argue it's not like it used to be but I doubt it's changed all that much)

Anyway, it basically comes down to this: I ain't gonna take it. I won't accept it. I will not conform to ANY policy that strips me of ANY of my Rights. I won't participate in it.

In short, I grew up and picked a side. Unlike most, I took it seriously. That's my right too, no? Also, I agree with you about Boston. I'm POSITIVE I would love it. Have no questions about it. But until full Constitutional rights are restored, I ain't goin'.

Before I'm labeled "crazy" or whatever...just do me one favor...imagine if you had to go get a "special permit" to exorcise your FIRST Amendment right to speak freely. Madness? I agree. It applies to all of them or none of them. It's our choice. I've made mine.

Sir, I agree with you on a lot of the things you mentioned above, that's why a trip to Wyoming and Montana should be in your future. I think it's legal to shot Democrats in Wyoming. LOL!

So you’ll never visit Europe? Or Canada? Or Australia?

I assume you’ll never fly on a commercial plane as well? Refuse to visit government buildings where they won’t trust you to bring your gun in for security reasons?

He can carry a gun in his luggage on a commercial flight, it has to meet certain requirements and has to be checked. I can see the man's point on many of the things he mentions.

Reactions: ConKreteCock
Oh, he's okay. Just has a strong feeling about some of his rights. Nothing wrong with that.

Appreciate the support Freddie. Unbelievable to me that I have a strong desire to stand up for ALL of my freedoms guaranteed me by the constitution ...... and yet somehow in all of that, I AM THE BAD GUY!!! ??? (no seriously, whuuut??)

I've talked with my wife about going out that way and finding one of those massively large "ranches" and just renting a couple of horses and just going, in whatever direction looks good. I appreciate the tip about flying into Denver. As far as Alaska goes, I'd be all for looking into it....at least at the research level but the wife won't go.

Btw, and for the record, I DO NOT WANT TO SHOOT ANYONE. But I do open carry everywhere I go, sometimes even around the house. I can hear it now...."why? WHY? WHY" .... simple answer - because we DO NOT GET TO PICK WHEN bad things happen to us. My wife is a fully licensed conceal carry instructor and she's packing heat too. Always. Love that lady.

You do understand that none of the Rights enumerated in the Constitution and the Amendments are absolute, right? They all have limitations.

@rogue cock , I don't know if you're intentionally trying to fire me up to get me banned .....or what but I can honestly say that I did man up and apologize to you for some of my earlier responses to you. I'm actually trying pretty hard to get along with you because you post good stuff.

To respond correctly I would say: They are absolute in the sense that I absolutely have those rights....

Yes, I understand they are all limited to some degree...IE: freedom of speech means I can't yell "FIRE" in a theater etc...but does that mean when I watch a movie I have to have my tongue cut out so I cannot speak at all?

Listen, my wife is a licensed conceal carry teacher and she and I have had every debate there is to have (for eternity) on this issue and I promise you I'm not trying to be a jerk at all but you're not gonna come out on top of this debate. The facts won't allow it.

The 2nd is crystal clear. I mean, crystal, crystal clear (and yes I can debate the wording if you want to go there - please don't)

I have the right to keep and bear arms. It doesn't say ANYTHING about having to have some special permit issued by such and such sheriff, etc...... it's simply not there.

Now let me ask you a question, and this is an honest question. It is not meant to be a "gotcha" ... but rather, I've never heard even a reasonable response, ever to this question:

How can I "bear" something I am not allowed to keep?
Keep means - on your body - hence the natural conclusion - keep and bear - immediately.

That is precisely why you're seeing a lot of states adopt the "Constitutional Carry" law. That law basically states that the 2nd Amendment *IS* your carry permit. ---- to which I say -- duh.

Not trying to be a jerk to you, but rather point out the irony of needing a law that says "yep, the 2nd is right." It's lol, but I appreciate their efforts because apparently people needed to be reminded.

@rogue cock , I don't know if you're intentionally trying to fire me up to get me banned .....or what but I can honestly say that I did man up and apologize to you for some of my earlier responses to you. I'm actually trying pretty hard to get along with you because you post good stuff.

To respond correctly I would say: They are absolute in the sense that I absolutely have those rights....

Yes, I understand they are all limited to some degree...IE: freedom of speech means I can't yell "FIRE" in a theater etc...but does that mean when I watch a movie I have to have my tongue cut out so I cannot speak at all?

Listen, my wife is a licensed conceal carry teacher and she and I have had every debate there is to have (for eternity) on this issue and I promise you I'm not trying to be a jerk at all but you're not gonna come out on top of this debate. The facts won't allow it.

The 2nd is crystal clear. I mean, crystal, crystal clear (and yes I can debate the wording if you want to go there - please don't)

I have the right to keep and bear arms. It doesn't say ANYTHING about having to have some special permit issued by such and such sheriff, etc...... it's simply not there.

Now let me ask you a question, and this is an honest question. It is not meant to be a "gotcha" ... but rather, I've never heard even a reasonable response, ever to this question:

How can I "bear" something I am not allowed to keep?
Keep means - on your body - hence the natural conclusion - keep and bear - immediately.

That is precisely why you're seeing a lot of states adopt the "Constitutional Carry" law. That law basically states that the 2nd Amendment *IS* your carry permit. ---- to which I say -- duh.

Not trying to be a jerk to you, but rather point out the irony of needing a law that says "yep, the 2nd is right." It's lol, but I appreciate their efforts because apparently people needed to be reminded.
Not a debate I want to get in either....as I've argued both sides of the argument before and have read legal opinions and treatises on the meaning of the words contained in the Second.

I will say as individuals and states are pushing on both sides of the Second Amendment, you are going to see more and more federal appeal court decisions on it.....and, eventually, the Supreme Court is going to do what it has thus far been loathe to do....make a comprehensive decision on the meaning of the words contained therein.

About 16 years ago, a couple of buddies and I drove the whole west coast. We flew into Orange County and drove all the way to Vancouver and Whistler. It was an epic trip. Sequoia National Forest is a must see for anyone. I fell in love with the place and hope to go back again.

Appreciate the support Freddie. Unbelievable to me that I have a strong desire to stand up for ALL of my freedoms guaranteed me by the constitution ...... and yet somehow in all of that, I AM THE BAD GUY!!! ??? (no seriously, whuuut??)

I've talked with my wife about going out that way and finding one of those massively large "ranches" and just renting a couple of horses and just going, in whatever direction looks good. I appreciate the tip about flying into Denver. As far as Alaska goes, I'd be all for looking into it....at least at the research level but the wife won't go.

Btw, and for the record, I DO NOT WANT TO SHOOT ANYONE. But I do open carry everywhere I go, sometimes even around the house. I can hear it now...."why? WHY? WHY" .... simple answer - because we DO NOT GET TO PICK WHEN bad things happen to us. My wife is a fully licensed conceal carry instructor and she's packing heat too. Always. Love that lady.

Sir, you are more than welcome, I of course was just joking about shooting Democrats, in fact I am a registered Democrat myself, just haven't voted that way in a long time except on the local level.

But tell your wife this about Alaska, you can take a cruise part of the way, from Seattle or Vancouver, Canada, see Glaciers, see and take in the "Inside Passage" I loved the "Inside Passage", you can take in most of the "Inside Passage" by boat, plane (well I think most of it has to be by boat or plane). After seeing the Inside Passage then take a bus up to the Yukon, man I loved that place. I can't remember the exact order of the trip (it was 2014 or 2015) but we visited Fair Banks, Denali, and took a 8-10 hour train trip to through the wilds of Alaska and ended up in Anchorage and flew back home. Other places we visited was Dalton (City, or something can't think of the other name) North Pole, Alaska and we saw the pipe line and panned for gold- I'm sure it was salted. But the point is there is something in Alaska for everyone and it is so massive, it's like a country not a state. We were gone 16 days or so and the price was not that bad.

But do take the Wyoming and Montana trip (I also took in part of SD it was nice, too). uscg1984 and Hi Cock can give you all sorts of tips about Wyoming and Montana since they both live in Montana.

About 16 years ago, a couple of buddies and I drove the whole west coast. We flew into Orange County and drove all the way to Vancouver and Whistler. It was an epic trip. Sequoia National Forest is a must see for anyone. I fell in love with the place and hope to go back again.

I would love to make that trip!

Sir, you are more than welcome, I of course was just joking about shooting Democrats, in fact I am a registered Democrat myself, just haven't voted that way in a long time except on the local level.

But tell your wife this about Alaska, you can take a cruise part of the way, from Seattle or Vancouver, Canada, see Glaciers, see and take in the "Inside Passage" I loved the "Inside Passage", you can take in most of the "Inside Passage" by boat, plane (well I think most of it has to be by boat or plane). After seeing the Inside Passage then take a bus up to the Yukon, man I loved that place. I can't remember the exact order of the trip (it was 2014 or 2015) but we visited Fair Banks, Denali, and took a 8-10 hour train trip to through the wilds of Alaska and ended up in Anchorage and flew back home. Other places we visited was Dalton (City, or something can't think of the other name) North Pole, Alaska and we saw the pipe line and panned for gold- I'm sure it was salted. But the point is there is something in Alaska for everyone and it is so massive, it's like a country not a state. We were gone 16 days or so and the price was not that bad.

But do take the Wyoming and Montana trip (I also took in part of SD it was nice, too). uscg1984 and Hi Cock can give you all sorts of tips about Wyoming and Montana since they both live in Montana.

I like the train trip idea. My wife kinda wants to be near a decent sized city while I'd like to be out in the middle of nowhere. Maybe it's time for a trade in. Ha.

I like the train trip idea. My wife kinda wants to be near a decent sized city while I'd like to be out in the middle of nowhere. Maybe it's time for a trade in. Ha.

Well, my wife hates to ride 10-12 hours a day in a car, now on a bus, plane or train it doesn't bother her for reason - go figure. But, she thoroughly enjoyed the trip to Alaska. My wife don't like to get out into the wide open spaces like I do unless it's with a tour group. But, me I love to drive and can't wait to see what's around the bin. That's why in 2016 I took that trip to Wyoming and Montana by myself. In fact, I took a lot of videos (and for some reason I feel like I have to narrate them LOL!) and there was one place I had pulled over to the side of the road on the Snowy Scenic Drive outside of Laramie and I made the comment "I don't know where I am, I don't know where I'm going and I don't care". Now that is the kind of trip I love but my wife loathes those kinds of trips, again unless it's with a tour group that knows where they are going every minute.

An example, of the freedom I felt that I mentioned in an earlier post. I gassed up outside of Billings, MT head to Glacier National Park. Anyway I had been driving for hours on two lanes roads just literally feeling free as a bird and loving every minute of it. My mind was as clear and free of stress as it has ever been in my life. I had a cooler with lunch meats, drinks, water in it and plenty of snacks. So there was nothing bothering me, I had totally forgot about politics and sports, too. LOL! So I would find me a nice scenic spot and pull off the road and enjoy me a nice lunch, enjoy a little break and get back into the car and start driving again, man enjoying myself to the fullest. Anyway after about a half of a day of driving (seemingly) it dawned on me I had not past a convenient store, gas station, town, houses, etc. that's how free my mind was. Well, I looked at the gas gauge and while I was not on empty it wasn't going to be long before I needed gas. I was in ranch country, I would pass ranch after ranch but I didn't see any houses on the ranches and hence I didn't feel comfortable to just drive into the ranch. Finally, I passed a ranch and there was a man at the entrance of the ranch and I pulled over and told him I was going to be needing gas before long and I couldn't find a store, etc. He asked me how much gas I had and I told him and he said you have enough gas to get to a convenient store that I will give you directions to get there. So he gave me directions and while I didn't measure the mileage exactly to the store it had to be approximately 40 miles. He described to me what the store looked like, etc just to be sure I didn't miss it - he said you will see a big statue of a bull in front of the store. Anyway, I drove per his directions and found the store. But, it was in such an isolated location when I first spotted the bull it looked like a store in the middle of an Oasis LOL!. Now while I was enjoying the experience my wife would have had a nervous breakdown before we found the store. And that's why she stayed home. But anyway, it was the best trip I have ever taken in terms of scenic country and stress free environments.

If you are ever interested in making that trip and want information about the things you are interested in just post a message to uscg1984 and Hi Cock. They can give you some great ideas and recommendations. In fact, uscg1984 gave me some great information and mapped out some great places to visit in Colorado this past September. And we hit just about everyone of his suggestions. My wife when with me on that trip but I drove too much for her liking, I told her I wasn't and I didn't mean to but it's just my nature to see all that I can see. LOL!

Last edited:
Well, my wife hates to ride 10-12 hours a day in a car, now on a bus, plane or train it doesn't bother her for reason - go figure. But, she thoroughly enjoyed the trip to Alaska. My wife don't like to get out into the wide open spaces like I do unless it's with a tour group. But, me I love to drive and can't wait to see what's around the bin. That's why in 2016 I took that trip to Wyoming and Montana by myself. In fact, I took a lot of videos (and for some reason I feel like I have to narrate them LOL!) and there was one place I had pulled over to the side of the road on the Snowy Scenic Drive outside of Laramie and I made the comment "I don't know where I am, I don't know where I'm going and I don't care". Now that is the kind of trip I love but my wife loathes those kinds of trips, again unless it's with a tour group that knows where they are going every minute.

An example, of the freedom I felt that I mentioned in an earlier post. I gassed up outside of Billings, MT head to Glacier National Park. Anyway I had been driving for hours on two lanes roads just literally feeling free as a bird and loving every minute of it. My mind was as clear and free of stress as it has ever been in my life. I had a cooler with lunch meats, drinks, water in it and plenty of snacks. So there was nothing bothering me, I had totally forgot about politics and sports, too. LOL! So I would find me a nice scenic spot and pull off the road and enjoy me a nice lunch, enjoy a little break and get back into the car and start driving again, man enjoying myself to the fullest. Anyway after about a half of a day of driving (seemingly) it dawned on me I had not past a convenient store, gas station, town, houses, etc. that's how free my mind was. Well, I looked at the gas gauge and while I was not on empty it wasn't going to be long before I needed gas. I was in ranch country, I would pass ranch after ranch but I didn't see any houses on the ranches and hence I didn't feel comfortable to just drive into the ranch. Finally, I passed a ranch and there was a man at the entrance of the ranch and I pulled over and told him I was going to be needing gas before long and I couldn't find a store, etc. He asked me how much gas I had and I told him and he said you have enough gas to get to a convenient store that I will give you directions to get there. So he gave me directions and while I didn't measure the mileage exactly to the store it had to be approximately 40 miles. He described to me what the store looked like, etc just to be sure I didn't miss it - he said you will see a big statue of a bull in front of the store. Anyway, I drove per his directions and found the store. But, it was in such an isolated location when I first spotted the bull it looked like a store in the middle of an Oasis LOL!. Now while I was enjoying the experience my wife would have had a nervous breakdown before we found the store. And that's why she stayed home. But anyway, it was the best trip I have ever taken in terms of scenic country and stress free environments.

If you are ever interested in making that trip and want information about the things you are interested in just post a message to uscg1984 and Hi Cock. They can give you some great ideas and recommendations. In fact, uscg1984 gave me some great information and mapped out some great places to visit in Colorado this past September. And we hit just about everyone of his suggestions. My wife when with me on that trip but I drove too much for her liking, I told her I wasn't and I didn't mean to but it's just my nature to see all that I can see. LOL!
The trips with no destination are sometimes the best. A vacation shouldn't be about keeping schedules. You shouldn't have to worry about any of that

Despite my screen handle I live in San Jose now. It’s a great place to be but the real estate is completely out of control. Not as many bama and Clemson people as I would have thought. Can’t blame them- not an endless supply of money to go see these games.

That said I see Nevada in my future.
:)

Ken, in 1978 I considered a transfer with my company to Southern California. It was below LA and not far from Newport Beach. Anyway a friend of mine who was working in the facility I was considering transferring to made arrangements for a realtor to show me property. This was in Oct. of 1978 and we had just build our first house and had moved in about 6 months before that. We had our house build it was solid brick, 3 bedrooms, a full basement and a one car carport. It cost $41,500 and it was on a half acre lot. The finished floor plan was 1500 sq. feet if I remember correctly (certainly something like that) not counting the basement because the basement was unfinished.
My friend's house was about the same size as my finished floor plan of about 1500 sq. feet, but his house did not have a basement. His house was on an extremely small lot. I didn't know they could build a house on such a small lot. Bottom line he said his house cost $82,000 about double the price of my house that we had build. Now again this was 1978. Since that time I know housing in California has skyrocket.

I took the long way around to ask you a simple question, sorry about that. But what would a 1500 sq. foot house in San Jose cost today?

Ken, in 1978 I considered a transfer with my company to Southern California. It was below LA and not far from Newport Beach. Anyway a friend of mine who was working in the facility I was considering transferring to made arrangements for a realtor to show me property. This was in Oct. of 1978 and we had just build our first house and had moved in about 6 months before that. We had our house build it was solid brick, 3 bedrooms, a full basement and a one car carport. It cost $41,500 and it was on a half acre lot. The finished floor plan was 1500 sq. feet if I remember correctly (certainly something like that) not counting the basement because the basement was unfinished.
My friend's house was about the same size as my finished floor plan of about 1500 sq. feet, but his house did not have a basement. His house was on an extremely small lot. I didn't know they could build a house on such a small lot. Bottom line he said his house cost $82,000 about double the price of my house that we had build. Now again this was 1978. Since that time I know housing in California has skyrocket.

I took the long way around to ask you a simple question, sorry about that. But what would a 1500 sq. foot house in San Jose cost today?
Probably around $850K, depending on where and what.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT