ADVERTISEMENT

OT: I've never tried caviar or lobster. Are they good? What are some other fancy foods or drinks someone with a white trash upbringing like me...

Caviar is disgusting. Lobster is great! It’s got a richness to it but it’s great. I don’t buy it locally though because it’s so small for what you get, last lobster I had I ordered from Maine.

Reactions: F-86F
Lobster is wonderful.

Caviar is an acquired taste. And I have no idea why anyone would want to acquire it.

Sushi is good if fresh and prepared properly.
Sushi is quite good if prepared competently prepared per order. It is almost an acquired taste to eat sushi with ginger and wasabi, but there is nothing like it in western cuisine. Eel sauce, white sauce and siracha mayonnaise are worth experimenting with. I do not eat raw fish, so I am limited to certain rolls.

Reactions: jweaks
Lobster is great.
Not a fan of caviar.
A good foie gras can't be beat.
Marinated and grilled escargot is really good too.

I really wanted to try escargot but I couldn't do it. Had it on my fancy little 2 prong fork, but every time I got it close to my mouth, this was my reaction.

tenor.gif

Reactions: uscg1984
Lobster is wonderful.

Caviar is an acquired taste. And I have no idea why anyone would want to acquire it.

Sushi is good if fresh and prepared properly.
I gave caviar 2 shots. Don't need 3 strikes to call it out. I have avoided sushi because I don't think I'd like it. Maybe I'll give it a try at some point. Lobster is indeed wonderful.

If you have eaten fried catfish, boiled peanuts, and a Maurice's BBQ sandwich, you have already tasted the good life. Don't waste your money.

You know, as a kid I used to love fried catfish, but now I can't stand it. I like fried bream now.

Reactions: SCexpat38
All of you talking about lobster, is it as hard to open as it looks? I've watched several Youtube videos of people showing how to do it. It looks delicious. I think if I had to pick one food I've never had, that would be it.

This can't be a serious thread. 😄 If you've had sushi at a real Japanese sushi bar, those things are nothing. Caviar is indeed an acquired taste, but if you like salty snacks like kalamata olives, for example, you might like it.

Reactions: paladin181
Lobster is great.
Not a fan of caviar.
A good foie gras can't be beat.
Marinated and grilled escargot is really good too.
Lobster is fantastic. Decent caviar is very gamey to taste and unpleasant for me. Foie gras is an abomination both texturally and morally. I have no idea on escargot. I haven't avoided it per se but I do have certain expectations being a citizen of the top of the food chain.

Reactions: mavcock
I used to go to Sweden and Denmark on business and got to where I liked pickled herring. Never tried lutefisk though. I think it’s got soap in it.

Reactions: jackrabbit slim
I once saw escargot in Walmart. You can go to their website now and find canned escargot, but it was in something that resembled a tennis ball can when I saw it. Who buys escargot at a Walmart?

Reactions: jackrabbit slim
...might want to try? Bearing in mind I can't afford it, but I'd still like to know. What are they like?
Sushi. I mean real, good sushi from a genuine sushi chef. It is incredible. Some types are too weird for me, but some safer bets are wonderful, flavorful and very good for you.

Reactions: rogue cock
I once saw escargot in Walmart. You can go to their website now and find canned escargot, but it was in something that resembled a tennis ball can when I saw it. Who buys escargot at a Walmart?
I need to get out more, I don't even know what that is!

Lobster is very good both American and Spiny lobster. You also need to try calamari. Very good is properly cooked. Caviar is meh for me. I think the name and exclusivity have more to do with it than the taste. As far as harder to find fish Wahoo and Cobia are wonderful.

Reactions: rogue cock
Lobster is awesome and I like caviar but it isn't for anyone, sort of like anchovies. But if you've ever had fresh anchovies....wow! I'm not talking about the ones you buy in a can in the grocery store.

...might want to try? Bearing in mind I can't afford it, but I'd still like to know. What are they like?
Best advice. Try it for yourself and find out.
Just because many people may like or dislike a certain food has no bearing whatsoever if you will.

Edit: when it comes to caviar, there are several different types, depending on the quality. The lower the quality the more "saltiness" taste you may experience. Of course there will always be some degree of saltiness.
BTW, I'm not really a caviar connoisseur, but an old work friend was really into it, so I did learn some of the nuances.

Last edited:
I like lobster anyway it’s cooked but fried is best. My wife bakes a very good lobster mac n cheese.

Reactions: SCexpat38
Lobster is similar to crab legs.

Foie gras is nasty, and even worse if you read about how they make it

Caviar tasted like salt to me. Lobster is good. You can probably afford to get just the tail. Really, whole lobsters are a bit extra and the "good parts" are in the tail. As for most really expensive foods, I don't think they're worth the money. usually when I'm in a steak place I look for the burger on the menu or have something else. But then I'll spend $16 on a buffalo burger.

I don't eat fancy things. I prefer a good plate of chicken wings. Turning this question around, what kind of foods do we need to try that you've had?

I don't eat fancy things. I prefer a good plate of chicken wings. Turning this question around, what kind of foods do we need to try that you've had?

I've had fancy foods, but give me a plate of fried chicken and potato salad (the kind with mustard and dill relish) and I'm as happy as can be.

Reactions: Deut6_4-9
My late uncle Marvin up in Pendleton used to fix a fishing snack that is hard to beat. You take a saltine cracker, put a sardine, some hot sauce and a slice of onion on it and after you take a bite you wash it down with a cold PBR.

I was like 5 the first time I tried that and have been a fan ever since.

I think your Uncle Marvin was a genuine gourmet. I have to try the onion as never thought of that. I do use real French mustard on the sardines...the Dijon kind.

I'm certain I have an unrefined palate. To me, there is no better meal than one of those thin Waffle House steaks with regular hash browns, toast, and a mixture of their ketchup and steak sauce to dip it in. One late night in Columbia I went to a Waffle House and ordered that, and I wanted more. I was too embarrassed to order the exact same meal and eat it again, so I left and drove to another Waffle House and had the same thing.

Also, lasagna with orange juice as a beverage is delicious.

Reactions: bcs bound
Brie. I would live off that if I could. Baked Brie is where it’s at!
Oh man... a good baked brie is amazing!! I don’t get the rind on brie though- it is wax, like are you or are you not supposed to eat it?

I'm certain I have an unrefined palate. To me, there is no better meal than one of those thin Waffle House steaks with regular hash browns, toast, and a mixture of their ketchup and steak sauce to dip it in. One late night in Columbia I went to a Waffle House and ordered that, and I wanted more. I was too embarrassed to order the exact same meal and eat it again, so I left and drove to another Waffle House and had the same thing.

Also, lasagna with orange juice as a beverage is delicious.
Lasagna with OJ?? 🤔

Reactions: bcs bound
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT