ADVERTISEMENT

OT-my late grandfather's native Lee County has made the news recently

sclawman77

Jun 27, 2011
My late grandfather, who died last year at 94, was a WWII veteran and proud Carolina alum. I miss him dearly. He was from Elliott, SC in Lee County not far from the county seat, Bishopville. If you visited Elliott you would think you were in Kansas it it so flat with its endless tobacco and cotton fields. Lee County doesn't make the news that often except for every now and then like in the '80s when the Lizard Man was spotted roaming in a swamp. Most recently though a maximum prison riot in Bishopville where 7 violent offenders were killed during a brawl got me thinking. Should we let these violent prisoners duke it out more often without intervention? I think it would save a lot of tax money.

Reactions: tl from little hell
My late grandfather, who died last year at 94, was a WWII veteran and proud Carolina alum. I miss him dearly. He was from Elliott, SC in Lee County not far from the county seat, Bishopville. If you visited Elliott you would think you were in Kansas it it so flat with its endless tobacco and cotton fields. Lee County doesn't make the news that often except for every now and then like in the '80s when the Lizard Man was spotted roaming in a swamp. Most recently though a maximum prison riot in Bishopville where 7 violent offenders were killed during a brawl got me thinking. Should we let these violent prisoners duke it out more often without intervention? I think it would save a lot of tax money.
You know, the US has the longest survivorship of age and longevity (both differ in this context), in the locked judicial system in the world!
First we take too long to prosecute! Second, we give multiple avenues to appeal each taking multiple years. Third, we offer petitionable living conditions with 'strikes' bring an acceptable source of rebellion! I said strike not and not riot!

No country house convicts at the longevity of nor the re-entry rate due to serious crimes as the US. The severity of the living conditions have turned into a club lifestyle where you hang out with friends to watch TV, eat meals, exercise and learn trades or gather educational diplomas.

In other words, our judicial system is broken. Once you become a convict, your right to vote and democratic petitions should be removed as you are no longer a participating member of society.

Wow, soap-box took off!! But you get my point! I'm glad that the last I heard there were no guards with injuries!

Reactions: Cybercock
I saw videos of the aftermath on some guys Facebook. It was an ugly bloody mess. Some guy called for the Warden to be brought up on murder charges for not stopping it sooner.

Simply put.........yes.
34 “Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. 35 For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, 36 I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.’

Reactions: Gaimcock
Bring back Lizard Man!

Given an apparent national appetite for blood sports, might as well turn 'em into pay per view events while you're at it.

I am of two minds about it, though. Hypotheticals: What if some guy is wrongly convicted (it happens) and is violent because he shouldn't be there? What if it were your son?

No. It would diminish us all if we sanctioned this type of behavior by our government.

Would prefer we focus on ways to keep people from doing the things which get them in prison like better education, especially to school districts with a poor tax base.

Reactions: Gaimcock
No. It would diminish us all if we sanctioned this type of behavior by our government.

Would prefer we focus on ways to keep people from doing the things which get them in prison like better education, especially to school districts with a poor tax base.
Ex-Frikkin-Zactly!!!!!!

In regards to the "American" prison/justice system, it all comes down to who has the money to afford a good attorney as opposed to a public defender. Point blank fact of life right there now.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT