ADVERTISEMENT

OT: New Mattress

• Thread starter anon_6poml7ajgpoqm
  • Start date
A

anon_6poml7ajgpoqm

Three years ago, the wife and I purchased a mattress from Mattress Firm. It’s a Serta iComfort series. It’s all memory foam and it was deemed gentle firm. Fast forward to today and the mattress is sagging an inch where we lay. It has lost its firmness. We went through the warranty claims process and they gave us all of the money we paid for just the mattress back to put towards another one. I want to make sure this time in choosing one that we don’t go the all memory foam route again. We are looking to spend no more than $1,500 if possible. I’ve heard hybrids are the way to go as they have memory foam and coils. I was wondering if y’all would have any recommendations?!?! Thanks!

There was another mattress thread started on here some time ago...may want to search for that and see what was said.

Interestingly, my wife and I bought a Serta iComfort about 7 or 8 years ago and it's still doing great. We eventually need to upgrade to a king size though and I've got no idea what we'll get at that time. So many dadgum options out there.

There was another mattress thread started on here some time ago...may want to search for that and see what was said.

Interestingly, my wife and I bought a Serta iComfort about 7 or 8 years ago and it's still doing great. We eventually need to upgrade to a king size though and I've got no idea what we'll get at that time. So many dadgum options out there.
I’ve been hurting the last month and a half in the Serratus Posterior Inferior area. It feels like kidney pain. I’ve had X-rays done and everything was clear. According to the discomfort in this area it can be caused from sleeping on a too soft mattress. Interestingly I had the same pain in the same area when I had Covid in October of last year.

Go too purple.com, the ad caught your word "mattress"

tumblr_mu7frrrvbb1ry46hlo1_400.gifv

Reactions: Judson1
We'll eventually be upgrading to a king, but the thing that worries me is that I read about some mattresses that have to be broken in. So it may feel a bit firm at first, but after a month or so of use, it gets broken in and feels good. That just seems hard to judge. I can't buy a mattress based on what I think it might feel like in a month or so.

Three years ago, the wife and I purchased a mattress from Mattress Firm. It’s a Serta iComfort series. It’s all memory foam and it was deemed gentle firm. Fast forward to today and the mattress is sagging an inch where we lay. It has lost its firmness. We went through the warranty claims process and they gave us all of the money we paid for just the mattress back to put towards another one. I want to make sure this time in choosing one that we don’t go the all memory foam route again. We are looking to spend no more than $1,500 if possible. I’ve heard hybrids are the way to go as they have memory foam and coils. I was wondering if y’all would have any recommendations?!?! Thanks!
I thought I would never drop a fortune on a mattress, but long story short, wound up buying a Tempurpedic. I can’t imagine life now without it. As a physician I’m asked often about the best mattress for back pain. Tempurpedic is always my go to, but I’ve done some other research and Purple Mattress is supposedly wonderful for those who suffer with back pain. Given that it’s much cheaper and has a money back guarantee, I would suggest giving it a try.

Seven or eight years ago, I bought a Tempur Cloud mattress and box set. If you go that route, you will smell the new Tempurpedic bed chemical smell (it lasts for maybe two weeks). Yet off the truck, it felt great and still does today. Test several beds' firmness before choosing. If it has to be "broken in", that would be a bad sign for its durability and reliability.

Mattress firm asked $5500 for a king with foam. They were going to "give" Me an adjustable frame. I walked away and bought the same mattress about half price.

I use a hybrid from Serta and it’s great ( it was 2200 but I bought the floor model from mattressfirm for 950( if it doesn’t bother you that a few people have “ tried it out” for a few minutes ( I sprayed it with some febreze just to be safe and it’s fantastic ( I even talked them into throwing in a nice cool gel pillow

Did this last year. Looked at everything, tried out everything from adjustable motorized frames to sleep number and ended up at Costco. I love this mattress.

Kirkland Signature by Stearns & Foster 14.5" Lakeridge Mattress. Delivered and setup 1049.00. On sale right now. Delivery and setup was nice since its 250 lbs and BR is on 2nd floor. I love Costco because if I have any problems in 2 or 3 years I can return it. No questions

I started the other thread about this. I was trying to decide between a high priced online mattress like Casper, Nectar, Ghostbed, Puffy and Nolah or a cheaper online bed made with the same materials. We decided on a King size hybrid from Sweetnight. It came Tuesday and we put it out on the bed frame that night. We let it inflate for 36 hours. It seems to be fine and it is a medium firm mattress. More bounce than a foam bed. I have back, shoulder and hip issues on most beds. This one sinks a little when you lay on it, but it is not soft. I slept pretty well last night, but it is going to take some getting used to. Articles I've read say give it a couple of weeks because your body has to get used to it.

The other discount brands we looked at were Sleep Innovations and Lucid. I think Zinus makes a good mattress too. Rather than buy one from Amazon I bought it straight from the manufacturer. I didn't want one that has been rolled up and stored in an Amazon warehouse for weeks or even months. This one did not have an odor and while it was a bit lumpy at first it smoothed out while we let it sit on the bed frame. Looks perfect now.

My only gripe about this bed (so far) is that opening it up was tricky. Normally, there is outer packaging you remove and then you position it and roll it out. The last step is you take the inner wrapping off to allow it to inflate. This one kind of blew up on us while we were trying unroll it which made it hard to handle.

Frankly, I don't think there is a lot of difference. You are paying for the name brand. They are probably all made in the same factories. The ones made in the US are more expensive. If you like something softer all you have to do is add a latex topper.

The money some people spend on mattresses is astounding to me.
In a mattress store you can easily pay $5,000 for a queen size mattress made from the same materials as a $1,000 mattress online. Serta and Simmons are owned by the same company. Sealy, Stearns & Foster and Tempur-Pedic are owned by the same company. Those two companies control 75% of the mattress market.

None of them make a flippable mattress that will last 30 years. They claim fire regulations made it impossible to manufacture a 2 -sided mattress. That is a half-truth. Several companies do and local company Best Mattress manufactures a two-sided (flippable) mattress that meets all federal rules.

So they have given us a credit to put towards a new mattress which is nice

Look at sleepEZ.com. We bought there in 2012. Still love it but there is a little sag of late. Shipped rolled up in boxes. Separate layers of firmness based on our weight left and right (king). Latex foam. Don’t buy memory foam. It’s hot and feels like quick sand. Latex foam is a fast response more bo7ncy foam.

MATTRESS FIRM SUCKS! Bought one years back and the wrong one was delivered and they tried charging me $85 to return it and get the right one....I didn't pay it and finally got the right one...it sagged after 6 months...garbage company

Reactions: anon_6poml7ajgpoqm
We have started looking at king mattresses. They can easily cost more than my first car.
I had the same thought. My first new car, a 1976 Oldsmobile Cutlass, came in at about $6100. People are spending more than that for bed frames and top-end bedding, and particularly adjustable sleep ensembles. I wouldn't sleep as well knowing I had paid what some folks pay.

The money some people spend on mattresses is astounding to me.
For people who have sleeping disorders or just have a hard time getting enough sleep, I being one of those, you would maybe understand a little bit better. If you have normal sleeping habits then this type of money spent might seem excessive but getting enough sleep every night is a critical element for good health.

I have Casper and love it. Still sleeps great after 3 years.

For people who have sleeping disorders or just have a hard time getting enough sleep, I being one of those, you would maybe understand a little bit better. If you have normal sleeping habits then this type of money spent might seem excessive but getting enough sleep every night is a critical element for good health.
I'm not critical of other people's sensibilities or infirmities. I was merely expressing my own opinion as to what something costs. I also think certain drugs are too expensive. I'm grateful for my CPAP machine. It has changed my life.

Reactions: PerchedOnRings
I'm not critical of other people's sensibilities or infirmities. I was merely expressing my own opinion as to what something costs. I also think certain drugs are too expensive. I'm grateful for my CPAP machine. It has changed my life.
In what ways, may I ask?

In what ways, may I ask?
I can count 0n 6-7 hours of solid sleep. Consequently, you are fresher throughout the day and the need to nap is greatly reduced. That gentle flow of air and the almost imperceptible whisper it creates next to your ears when passing through the mask tubing put you in your own little world. As a result, you relax more fully. Once you get accustomed to it, which doesn't take long, you actually look forward to going to bed. And the machine makes no noise to disturb others. No one I know who has had a CPAP machine for awhile - and I know lots of people - would be without it.

Unfortunately, the mattress I bought for us is too firm. The first night seemed okay. The second night was not quite as good and last night was intolerable. In the middle of the night I got up and moved to the guest room. I had hip pain, shoulder and neck pain and lower back pain when I got up, but I felt immediate relief as soon as I lay on the softer bed in the guest room.

We are going to try a 2" latex topper tonight (take it from another bed) and see if that helps. I like the concept of a hybrid, but the firmness rating for this bed was medium firm or around 6 on a scale of 10. It is not a 6. It may well be an 8 which is like sleeping on the ground to me.

The good news is they will take it back if I am not satisfied for any reason over the first 30 days.

Don’t go cheap on your bed, shoes, tires or home. Just about everything else you can get by with the generic version.

I bought a YogaBed mattress several years ago which I absolutely love. However, I just went to their website and they don’t have anything in stock. I don’t know if the company is out of business or what.

I can vouch that Purple Mattress products are also squared away. The next mattress I get will be one.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT