ADVERTISEMENT

OT: NFL proposes to incentivize hiring minorities

This seems like the opposite of equal opportunity. Tony Dungy says because the percentage of NFL is heavily African American, there should be more African American coaches. Should the same be said for players in the NFL? More white males should equal more white players?

I feel we are moving a$$ backwards instead of forward.

This seems like the opposite of equal opportunity. Tony Dungy says because the percentage of NFL is heavily African American, there should be more African American coaches. Should the same be said for players in the NFL? More white males should equal more white players?

I feel we are moving a$$ backwards instead of forward.

I just don’t see this as being necessary. Nobody is getting passed over for jobs in the NFL these days because he’s a minority.

Reactions: Expro19
I just don’t see this as being necessary. Nobody is getting passed over for jobs in the NFL these days because he’s a minority.

I can’t prove that’s the case but nobody can prove it is the case either. I would say the bigger issue is that African-American coaches seem to get fire quicker. I don’t know if that’s true either but I’ve heard the claim. I do know Hue Jackson seemed completely unqualified based on Hard Knocks and he got forever without good results.

Lovie Smith in Tampa is a guy that didn’t get a lot of time. I don’t know. I just think if we start saying jobs need to match percentages then we have to take those percentages even further to every position in the league.

At that point, it’s all ridiculous anyway.

NFL owners want to win. Period. Winning = revenue. They’d hire an untrained seal if they thought it would win them more games. No way they’re letting something silly like race get in their way.

Since everything seems to be racially motivated these days, I have a solution for all pro sports. Let's take the percentage breakdown of the population as a whole, and make a rule that you have to have that percentage throughout the organization. Trainers, equipment managers, players, coaches, and front office. That should make everyone happy. Well, I doubt that. But is fair.

But if they actually enact this foolishness, and I am an NFL owner, I game the system. If I don't have a black GM, I hire one. And he doesn't have to work, or know one thing about football. Just pay some guy 50k a year, and a seat in a box on game day, just to have a title. He makes zero decisions, but you get a bump up the ladder at the draft.

Reactions: cockofdawn
Since everything seems to be racially motivated these days, I have a solution for all pro sports. Let's take the percentage breakdown of the population as a whole, and make a rule that you have to have that percentage throughout the organization. Trainers, equipment managers, players, coaches, and front office. That should make everyone happy. Well, I doubt that. But is fair.

But if they actually enact this foolishness, and I am an NFL owner, I game the system. If I don't have a black GM, I hire one. And he doesn't have to work, or know one thing about football. Just pay some guy 50k a year, and a seat in a box on game day, just to have a title. He makes zero decisions, but you get a bump up the ladder at the draft.

this is what’s happened with the Rooney Rule of having to interview at least one minority candidate. It’s just a formality and I bet it’s actually fairly annoying to minority coaches who know they have no shot but are interviewed just because the rule has to be met.

I remember when we were getting scrutinized when we didn’t interview a minority candidate when we hired Spurrier. That was the dumbest criticism I had ever heard. Who was more qualified than Spurrier at the time? Our interview was, “what will it take to get you here?” Not a real interview.

I have to agree with Andy Reid, It's a head scratcher that Eric Bieniemy isn't a Head Coach.

Most believe Reid is the man running the offense, not Bieniemy. Which is likely the case. But he’ll get his shot.
It's weird none of the other 10 assistant's under Andy, who became Head Coaches never had the problem it's all Andy. Even Andy agrees nobody before ever questioned that.

NFL owners want to win. Period. Winning = revenue. They’d hire an untrained seal if they thought it would win them more games. No way they’re letting something silly like race get in their way.
So, is that why the Giants hired a Special Teams Coach for their Head Coaching Job? Most organizations want to win, but that doesn't mean that cronyism doesn't exist in an attempt to get there. With that said, I think that new proposals are a silly attempt at solving an issue that players can help resolve themselves if they weren't so short-sighted.

So, is that why the Giants hired a Special Teams Coach for their Head Coaching Job? Most organizations want to win, but that doesn't mean that cronyism doesn't exist in an attempt to get there. With that said, I think that new proposals are a silly attempt at solving an issue that players can help resolve themselves if they weren't so short-sighted.

Cronyism isn't racism. Lynn even said that a bunch of white guys probably feel the same as the black guys who get passed over for head coach. So then cronyism is a moot point.

https://www.dailywire.com/news/nfl-...ing-minorities-chargers-coach-criticizes-move

Reactions: Cola G'Cock
They need to apply the same rules to ownerships. More AA owners equals more AA HC and GM. Seriously, with these huge salaries it seems some of theses players could have the resources to buy a team.

It's weird none of the other 10 assistant's under Andy, who became Head Coaches never had the problem it's all Andy. Even Andy agrees nobody before ever questioned that.

I wonder if those 10 waited for their shot? As I said before, he’ll get his shot.

The players obviously are not employees. Minority status only matters if you're a coach or general manager. I get it. I know the good ole boy system impacts minority hiring in management. But history says that will not change without minority ownership. Quotas never have and never will work. I pointed out the flaws in the Rooney Rule as soon as it was passed. It got minority candidates token interviews and all the owners felt great. Yet the bump in minority management hiring quickly vanished. You can't force owners in this incredibly competitive industry to hire people until they feel comfortable with. Minority ownership is the best path forward. The NFL needs to recruit a couple of minority billionaires to own teams.

The players obviously are not employees. Minority status only matters if you're a coach or general manager. I get it. I know the good ole boy system impacts minority hiring in management. But history says that will not change without minority ownership. Quotas never have and never will work. I pointed out the flaws in the Rooney Rule as soon as it was passed. It got minority candidates token interviews and all the owners felt great. Yet the bump in minority management hiring quickly vanished. You can't force owners in this incredibly competitive industry to hire people until they feel comfortable with. Minority ownership is the best path forward. The NFL needs to recruit a couple of minority billionaires to own teams.

Minority owners are important but we don’t need a situation where the system relies on them to increase minority head coach opportunities.

the Rooney rule, with its problems, is still a great rule. Nothing is perfect.

“It’s always been a struggle. And, brother, it’s probably always going to be a struggle. We just have to keep bringing it to everyone’s attention. I know when I was coming [up the coaching ladder], I had a couple of owners tell me I had to check this box. They said I needed to be a coordinator. They said I needed to be evaluated as a coordinator. And I just felt like coordinator skills and head-coaching skills are completely different. I think we’re missing the boat in putting that criteria in front of everyone.

And then you see guys getting jobs who haven’t been coordinators. Guys with coordinator titles who have never called a play. Make it consistent for everyone — not just some people. I just want guys who are qualified to get the opportunities.“ - Anthony Lynn

Last edited:
I would be offended if someone had to incentivize my boss to hire me because i was a certain color. Kind of like tying a ham bone around your neck to get the dog to play with you. Poor pitiful me has sure worked this long. Might as well keep the gravy truck rolling. I look at life and all of its challenges as a personal challenge. Either be better than the next guy or work harder. If I lose, I learn and get better. I don't make excuses. This is getting really old. Another reason why i don't watch NFL or NBA.

Reactions: Expro19
The draft generally leads to the best players being drafted higher. Teams do not draft players based on race. And it appears that NFL players are mostly AA. What can we do to fix this situation so that teams will draft less qualified white players higher? Maybe give teams with more white players a bigger cut of TV revenue?

Are you better off with the less talented coach drafting higher in the draft or the more talented coach drafting lower in the draft? If you consider that teams usually hire the best coaches available regardless of race. And that someones race has nothing to do with how good of a coach they are.

So can they also incentivize the hiring of certain players? If the answer is no then why are coaches any different?

I wonder if those 10 waited for their shot? As I said before, he’ll get his shot.
Looking at the Previous 2 Kansas City OCs Doug Pederson 3 seasons, Matt Nagy 2 seasons didn't wait long to become first time HCs. It's not about the wait. But like Andy said about Bieniemy he's getting painted with a different brush, it's all Andy and not the OC. Nobody questioned how much Doug or Matt put in the offense.

Reactions: Rollerdude123
Looking at the Previous 2 Kansas City OCs Doug Pederson 3 seasons, Matt Nagy 2 seasons didn't wait long to become first time HCs. It's not about the wait. But like Andy said about Bieniemy he's getting painted with a different brush, it's all Andy and not the OC. Nobody questioned how much Doug or Matt put in the offence.

I’m not sure people questioned about why Doug or Matt weren’t a head coaches either. So there wasn’t really the need to respond or speculate. I’m sure there were the same questions from organizations when hiring them, just no reason for it all to be a news story.

If this were the Gamecocks looking at an OC to become our head coach, I’d be fine hiring Bieniemy. But I’d still have the same questions about whether he was reason for success, and even if he didn’t just inherit a good situation. It’s the same questions that were asked about Kirby Smart at Alabama. I didn’t really want Kirby Smart because I know Nick Saban is the defensive mastermind. I don’t think Kirby would’ve recruited as well here has he’s been able to at UGA. I’m still not that impressed with him as an actual strategic coach. He’s got some good players though.

Could it be color? I don’t think it is but it could maybe be for a certain franchise. Never know. Is it 100% across the board color? No. Teams will hire minority coaches. We’ve seen that happen. We’re teams willing to wait until after the Super Bowl to get their HC with question marks about whether or not he’s truly running the offense? It appears not. Keep in mind, none of those teams have Mahomes either, and I’m sure franchises realize that he could make a lot of guys look good.

Still, Bieniemy will get a job. I hear what you are saying. You may be right. But for now I guess we just see things a little differently.

Last edited:
Looking at the Previous 2 Kansas City OCs Doug Pederson 3 seasons, Matt Nagy 2 seasons didn't wait long to become first time HCs. It's not about the wait. But like Andy said about Bieniemy he's getting painted with a different brush, it's all Andy and not the OC. Nobody questioned how much Doug or Matt put in the offense.

Agree.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT