ADVERTISEMENT

OT-NFL rules question

titaniumspur

Sep 16, 2006
Chiefs-Bills, last play in regulation. If the Bills don’t touch the receiver, I think it was Kelce, does the clock keep running, and run out before he gets to the endzone, assuming he can’t get up and run the 30 yards in under 3 seconds?

Chiefs-Bills, last play in regulation. If the Bills don’t touch the receiver, I think it was Kelce, does the clock keep running, and run out before he gets to the endzone, assuming he can’t get up and run the 30 yards in under 3 seconds?
The play would continue until he is downed. If that is in the endzone they would have won it that way. I think that was your question.

Pretty sure the rule is if you give yourself up, like kelce did, then the play is over. The equivalent to a QB slide.
Thank you sir. I did some googling based on your response and you are correct. It was crucial that the Chiefs stop the clock and I was wondering what would have happened if no Bills player had touched him.

I don't have any skin in the NFL game, but doing OT the way colleges do it makes perfect sense to me.
I think the NFL’s thinking is that the OT rules will discourage teams from wanting to play to a tie in regulation. But, it has not worked. There are more and more instances where teams play conservative at the end just to be able to tie the game.

I think the NFL’s thinking is that the OT rules will discourage teams from wanting to play to a tie in regulation. But, it has not worked. There are more and more instances where teams play conservative at the end just to be able to tie the game.
In years gone by, sudden death meant sudden death and nobody questioned it. They didn't question it because defenses had a legitimate chance. Rules changes, innovations in the passing game, and the placement of the hash marks away from the sidelines have given offenses a decided advantage. For that reason, I think that both teams ought to get at least one opportunity to possess the ball in OT.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT