ADVERTISEMENT

OT: OK now, just how big a drug problem does N Myrtle have?

It's everywhere. And the folks buying it aren't your typical junkies. Middle class white kids and professionals are probably that guy's customer base. I could walk into a minimum of two bars on Main Street in NMB and find it in less than 5 minutes.

Reactions: obcscfan
It's everywhere. And the folks buying it aren't your typical junkies. Middle class white kids and professionals are probably that guy's customer base. I could walk into a minimum of two bars on Main Street in NMB and find it in less than 5 minutes.
You aren't kidding. I saw the owner of a very high end clothing shop meeting up with some random dude at a gas station to buy some booger sugar awhile back as I was getting gas. This guy drives a $90,000 Mercedes and the cheapest shirt in his store is $90.

Can’t be worse than the Meth Problem we have where I live in Florida . It’s insane . Every other week you hear about some tweaker blowing himself to pieces cooking Meth in a trailer in the woods . It’s ridiculous.

Is it specifically North Myrtle or is it moving north from the Windy Hill/Myrtle Beach area?

This makes me sad as I grew up about 45 minutes from the beach and still come back yearly to Cherry Grove from Charlotte with my family. I haven't felt the same vibe that you're describing, but maybe I'm overlooking it. Could be time to keep my tourist dollars in NC and graduate to Ocean Isle.

How stupid are you to get caught in this manner and when did N. Myrtle become part of the low country?

NMB has the same drug issues as anywhere else in South Carolina. Just so happen to catch this guy with a lot of drugs. The good thing is they got them off the street.

They have a Thug problem @ Myrtle Beach. They cannot make that place safe now.
At night, you park near your hotel or wherever it is you're going or otherwise stay in your car. I have a timeshare week there that I inherited from my folks. Otherwise, I never go.

Is it specifically North Myrtle or is it moving north from the Windy Hill/Myrtle Beach area?

This makes me sad as I grew up about 45 minutes from the beach and still come back yearly to Cherry Grove from Charlotte with my family. I haven't felt the same vibe that you're describing, but maybe I'm overlooking it. Could be time to keep my tourist dollars in NC and graduate to Ocean Isle.
I'm from Conway and heroin is everywhere in Horry County. From Ocean Boulevard in Myrtle to Ocean Drive in N. Myrtle to the tobacco fields in Aynor and Green Sea. Most of the addicts here got hooked on pain pills for either a legitimate or illegitimate reason and turn to heroin because it's cheaper and easier to find it on the street. The number of OD's in this county over the last couple years is astonishing.

I'm from Conway and heroin is everywhere in Horry County. From Ocean Boulevard in Myrtle to Ocean Drive in N. Myrtle to the tobacco fields in Aynor and Green Sea. Most of the addicts here got hooked on pain pills for either a legitimate or illegitimate reason and turn to heroin because it's cheaper and easier to find it on the street. The number of OD's in this county over the last couple years is astonishing.

Not to mention the rampant prostitution. It's better on the South Side but you still have to be very cautious.

At the rate these kids are OD’ing, the problem will correct itself in 20 years.

I lived in NMB years ago. Know some really good folks who still live there, raising families. This is very sad news. When I was young, heroin was the one drug to avoid. Most addictive with terrible outcomes. Seems like they warned us about it more. I’ve heard about people getting hooked on high power pain meds and going to heroin when those meds are no longer available. Need to fix this problem.

I lived in NMB years ago. Know some really good folks who still live there, raising families. This is very sad news. When I was young, heroin was the one drug to avoid. Most addictive with terrible outcomes. Seems like they warned us about it more. I’ve heard about people getting hooked on high power pain meds and going to heroin when those meds are no longer available. Need to fix this problem.
Society has become more tolerant and attaches less culpability to harmful personal choices - even those which lead to addiction. We have largely eliminated the moral and accountability components. There are consequences.

You sir hit the nail on the head. Look no further than pharmaceutical opioids if you want to know a major driver of today’s heroin epidemic.

It’s a sad reality we face as a country.

It is a national problem. In Maryland Governor Hogan declared a State of Emergency. Law Enforcement carry narcan. Factor in the heroim is being cut with fentanyl makes this a dangerous epidemic transcending race and socioeconomic lines.

You aren't kidding. I saw the owner of a very high end clothing shop meeting up with some random dude at a gas station to buy some booger sugar awhile back as I was getting gas. This guy drives a $90,000 Mercedes and the cheapest shirt in his store is $90.

Thats not anything new. Its been going on since the late 80s early 90s. I knew a guy in the mid 90s who ONLY sold to upper(and upper middle) class people. Doctors, lawyers, bored house wifes. I cant tell you how many coke fueled swinger parties their were in those days(and even today). Some people are mild in public but wild behind closed doors.

Society has become more tolerant and attaches less culpability to harmful personal choices - even those which lead to addiction. We have largely eliminated the moral and accountability components. There are consequences.
You are correct. But the opioid addiction has an additional factor: an over-dependence on prescription drugs in this country, especially pain killers. There's a place for pain killers after major surgeries, but at some point, people have to be told to accept that some pain and discomfort is inevitable and normal.

Thats not anything new. Its been going on since the late 80s early 90s. I knew a guy in the mid 90s who ONLY sold to upper(and upper middle) class people. Doctors, lawyers, bored house wifes. I cant tell you how many coke fueled swinger parties their were in those days(and even today). Some people are mild in public but wild behind closed doors.
Except in the 80’s it was more weed, coke, LSD, yellow jackets, Valium and qualudes. Back then meth was just on the rise, opium heroin & morphine could be found but was expense and more for the higher income.

I live in Conway, right in town, less than 500 yards from a school, and a Meth lab was found last year within earshot of my house. It was well-hidden in the woods and near a major intersection in town. Sadly, Horry County is going down the tubes..

Myrtle Beach is an embarrassment to the state of SC. Wish NC would annex it all.

Reactions: KayakCock
You are correct. But the opioid addiction has an additional factor: an over-dependence on prescription drugs in this country, especially pain killers. There's a place for pain killers after major surgeries, but at some point, people have to be told to accept that some pain and discomfort is inevitable and normal.
I acknowledge your principal point. The problem has multiple facets.

It is all very sad. Such a place of beauty and the local govt and political forces sold out MB years ago. You sell your soul for a t shirt shop, then the poors come in with the trash. Sad really.
I haven't been to Myrtle Beach since the 90's. Hell, give me Charleston, Edisto, Beaufort, Fripp and Hilton Head and I'm good to go!!! I mean I'll even take Savannah over Myrtle Turtle!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: KayakCock
Please never confuse Myrtle Beach with the Lowcountry again.
How stupid are you to get caught in this manner and when did N. Myrtle become part of the low country?

To clarify, I was born and raised in Georgetown, 35 miles south of Myrtle Beach. As did a lot of lowcountry boys, we spent our summer evenings at Pawleys and Myrtle Beach. When I think of Myrtle, I think of all the fun times there as a lowcountry boy. Back in the 50’s it was not unusual to hitch hike from and to Georgetown and the beaches. Also Myrtle Beach was so much smaller back then.

Reactions: Anna_Nimmitty
It is all very sad. Such a place of beauty and the local govt and political forces sold out MB years ago. You sell your soul for a t shirt shop, then the poors come in with the trash. Sad really.
It is really sad, it's now starting to shift toward Conway. My little hometown is beginning to go down hill fast with all the development, influence of CCU..

It is really sad, it's now starting to shift toward Conway. My little hometown is beginning to go down hill fast with all the development, influence of CCU..
Cruised through Conway back in 2012. That was the last time I was there. It had changed so much then that I didn't realize I was in Conway until I saw the Pizza Inn!!

Cruised through Conway back in 2012. That was the last time I was there. It had changed so much then that I didn't realize I was in Conway until I saw the Pizza Inn!!
I don't recognize it any more either! the entire riverfront is about to be developed, hotel, condos, shopping, etc...the City has sold out.

Kids? I’m not sure you understand the scope of the issue.
Sadly Ken, I understand this issue all to well. It will correct itself at the risk of many lives. Whether you understand it is another issue.

Based on watching LivePD every weekend for the past two years, I can say that opioid and meth use isn't that extensive in Columbia. However, 1 out of every 3 cars on Two Notch or Broad River has a roach in the ashtray.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT