ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Packers “stock” offering (separating fools from their money)

GarnetBeamer

Dec 7, 2020
Blows my mind that people blow money on this stuff. I used to know a wealthy guy who would brag that he owned stock in the Packers. Had his certificate framed on the wall in his office. I don’t get the point. It’s not actual stock. It’s not collectible. In exchange for $300 you get a sheet of worthless paper.

Reminds me of a kid sending in $2 to get a certificate proclaiming them an honorary member of the Justice League.

Last edited:
I received one share as a gift in 2011. It hangs on the wall in our pool room. I appreciated the gift even though the stock is worthless. A lot of folks spend a lot more money on worthless home décor items.

Go Pack Go!

Reactions: Bear_Rooster
I received one share as a gift in 2011. It hangs on the wall in our pool room. I appreciated the gift even though the stock is worthless. A lot of folks spend a lot more money on worthless home décor items.

Go Pack Go!
I got an email about the common stock offering sale. I’m a fan, but I didn’t buy. I agree that people spend a lot more on worthless home decor.

I got an email about the common stock offering sale. I’m a fan, but I didn’t buy. I agree that people spend a lot more on worthless home decor.
I guess I just don’t get what makes this decor. Why a fake stock certificate? And $300 for it? Like the Packers don’t have enough money? People are spending $300 for something that’s worth less than a dollar. The picture frame to hang it is worth more money.

It kinda reminds me back when I was a stupid kid and eBay was still a big thing, I bought a one dollar bill that had a picture of Don Mattingly on it. When I got it it was just a one dollar bill that someone had cut out a picture of Don Mattingly and glued it to the front of the dollar bill.

I guess I just don’t get what makes this decor. Why a fake stock certificate? And $300 for it? Like the Packers don’t have enough money? People are spending $300 for something that’s worth less than a dollar. The picture frame to hang it is worth more money.

It kinda reminds me back when I was a stupid kid and eBay was still a big thing, I bought a one dollar bill that had a picture of Don Mattingly on it. When I got it it was just a one dollar bill that someone had cut out a picture of Don Mattingly and glued it to the front of the dollar bill.
Unlike my stock certificate, your "Don Mattingly" is still worth a dollar, and your story made me laugh.

Reactions: GarnetBeamer
At least it is only a one time payment of $300 for the stock certificate, that you can hang on your wall and say you are an NFL owner... It's not like paying annual dues to be a "member" of a club whose annual membership cards are likewise "worthless". There might not extrinsic market/monetary value, but they have intrinsic value to the holder...

Blows my mind that people blow money on this stuff. I used to know a wealthy guy who would brag that he owned stock in the Packers. Had his certificate framed on the wall in his office. I don’t get the point. It’s not actual stock. It’s not collectible. In exchange for $300 you get a sheet of worthless paper.

Reminds me of a kid sending in $2 to get a certificate proclaiming them an honorary member of the Justice League.
You're not in the Gamecock Club by chance are you...

I always thought that the Green Bay stock was kind of cool. But now that I'm reading more about what it really is, it's sounding less and less cool by the minute.

I always thought that the Green Bay stock was kind of cool. But now that I'm reading more about what it really is, it's sounding less and less cool by the minute.
It’s cool. It’s just not $300 cool. Not to me anyways. $100 maybe as a novelty but that’s about all I’d pay for it.

People spend money on worthless stuff all the time. Myself included. Could walk in any house or shop or storage building and pick out a load. But though it may not have value to me, it may to them. That Green Bay stock certificate means something to them.

Reactions: Gamecock Jacque

I could maybe see paying $20 for it if I was an absolute die-hard fan. Just can't see paying $300 for a novelty stock certificate that is really just a fundraising campaign for a pro sports team. Especially not when there's hundreds of thousands of them out there.

It’s cool. It’s just not $300 cool. Not to me anyways. $100 maybe as a novelty but that’s about all I’d pay for it.

I just thought that it actually meant something in terms of ownership - even if it was just a tiny portion. I feel lied to. It's still impossible to get a straight answer anywhere about who is really in charge. Take the $70M they made last year - who gets that money? And if they sold the team for the billions that it's worth, who gets that money?

I just thought that it actually meant something in terms of ownership - even if it was just a tiny portion. I feel lied to. It's still impossible to get a straight answer anywhere about who is really in charge. Take the $70M they made last year - who gets that money? And if they sold the team for the billions that it's worth, who gets that money?
From my understanding you do get “owner exclusive” merchandise (for purchase) and you get to vote in some emails they send out, I think you get invited to some meetings too. That’s about it though. I pay 10x more than that to be in the Gamecock Club and they never ask my opinion on anything.lol

From my understanding you do get “owner exclusive” merchandise (for purchase) and you get to vote in some emails they send out, I think you get invited to some meetings too. That’s about it though. I pay 10x more than that to be in the Gamecock Club and they never ask my opinion on anything.lol

Do you get a car decal though???

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT