ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Phil Niekro dead at 81

Harvard Gamecock

May 5, 2014
The King of the Knuckleball.
My wife had a chance to meet him several years ago. She was trying to set up the blender for a company event, he walked up and offered to help, and never let on of who he was. Later, when he's introduced as the guest speaker is when she found out who he was.
She said he was just as nice as could be, and no pretensions. Good Guy

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id...l-niekro-famous-signature-knuckleball-dies-81

Collector Profile: Thrown for a Knuckler

Just got off the phone with Dooley Womack who told me the story of their friendship. Dooley was at that 50th birthday party..

Everyone of us little leaguers in the seventies were trying to throw that knuckleball. Imagine our horror when we found out some folks threw it with their fingernails. Knucksie was an original.
As a teenager, I played tournament softball with a pick up team. One of the older guys on the team was a knuckleball pitcher when he was younger. We were warming up before a game once, and he started throwing knuckleballs to me. I got hit in the forehead by one of them trying to catch it. I never caught a one 😂. Dadgum ball looked like a dove or a duck flying through the air dodging shotgun blasts🤣

The King of the Knuckleball.
My wife had a chance to meet him several years ago. She was trying to set up the blender for a company event, he walked up and offered to help, and never let on of who he was. Later, when he's introduced as the guest speaker is when she found out who he was.
She said he was just as nice as could be, and no pretensions. Good Guy

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id...l-niekro-famous-signature-knuckleball-dies-81

Early Phil remembrance:
Growing in Gvl it can be a spur of the morning call:)

Can’t recall exact yr, but early-mid 70’s & astros were in for a weekend series.
As the rotations worked out Phil was gonna pitch vs joe on sat......got up and decided to go.......I as was to later find out sometime after Friday game it was decided the brothers won’t pitch vs each other.

Hadn’t brought a lot of money (expected to be back home that night), with me but when they said both aces would pitch Mother’s Day Sunday.....Phil vs jr Richard..........I had to spend the night......without a toothbrush even!

And to top it off, I was one of those types who got there early enough to scout the ticket booths........”would you like to sit behind mr turner.”......turns out GM John mullin skipped the game to be with his mother & I was a right place ........I’ve got some great photos of a bare chested beer drinking teddy boy spitting red man with Phil in background

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT