ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Pile of Rocks at exit to drainage pipe

gfluvsthecocks

Gold Member
Jan 31, 2011
Hey guys, I have a retaining wall on one side of my driveway. We've been out of town and came home to a 6" pile of rocks blocking one of the drainage holes. Have never seen anything like it, as there aren't rocks like this up above it that are visible, so it doesn't look like it's been washed through the drainage holes.

Is this an animal or bee?

Chipmunks to crazy stuff like that sometimes. Or some neighbor's little kid.

If the drain get alot of water, the rocks may have been put there to prevent washing out. Or it could be kids.

Hey guys, I have a retaining wall on one side of my driveway. We've been out of town and came home to a 6" pile of rocks blocking one of the drainage holes. Have never seen anything like it, as there aren't rocks like this up above it that are visible, so it doesn't look like it's been washed through the drainage holes.

The rocks aren't blocking the drainage holes. The water can easily drain around the voids between the rocks, and get to where it needs to go.

The rocks are called "riprap". They were put there because apparently the water draining from the pipe was eroding the earth at the base of the drainage pipe or the structure around the pipe.

Usually riprap is used like at the base of storm gutter pipes where water can splash pretty heavily during heavy rains, or at the end of municipal drainage into ditches or trenches, where the heavy flow of water can erode away at the embankments. The rocks help break up the heavy flow, and thus minimize the erosion. They can be as small as pebbles or as large as 10 pound rocks, depending on the degree of water flow.

A picture of the rocks posted here would go a long way in helping us explain why they are there.....

outlet%20protect.jpg

17377198009_7c6c97688b_b.jpg

6ee0ad544b32ca8615e415737388d7b5.jpg

The rocks aren't blocking the drainage holes. The water can easily drain around the voids between the rocks, and get to where it needs to go.

The rocks are called "riprap". They were put there because apparently the water draining from the pipe was eroding the earth at the base of the drainage pipe or the structure around the pipe.

Usually riprap is used like at the base of storm gutter pipes where water can splash pretty heavily during heavy rains, or at the end of municipal drainage into ditches or trenches, where the heavy flow of water can erode away at the embankments. The rocks help break up the heavy flow, and thus minimize the erosion. They can be as small as pebbles or as large as 10 pound rocks, depending on the degree of water flow.

A picture of the rocks posted here would go a long way in helping us explain why they are there.....

outlet%20protect.jpg

17377198009_7c6c97688b_b.jpg

6ee0ad544b32ca8615e415737388d7b5.jpg

Heavy duty beavers

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT