ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Plane crashes in Lake Murray...

Gaimcock

Nov 18, 1998
A sheriff’s department spokesperson said the plane went down in the lake around 1:45 p.m. near Taylors Cove Road, just north of U.S. 378 in the Gilbert area.

IMG_9748.jpg

Anybody here know anything about this stort??

Just asking.

Last edited:
Those SR22's are awesome. If I ever had the inkling to get a pilots license and my own plane - I'm buying the one with the f-ing parachute.

Reactions: Gaimcock
If I had $800,000 that I had no plans for....I'd buy one too. I bought and sold my Cessna 150 for $17,000. 15 years ago
With you being a pilot, I take it that you might can elaborate on that "plane parachute".

I've never seen nor heard of such, so is it correct to assume that a parachute attached to the tail of a plane is just for such a "quick stop" as occurred on Lake Murray??

Most Cirrus aircraft have the parachute; however, it did not help a pro baseball player and his instrutor when they hit a building, or something, while flying around the Hudson River. But for an engine failure like this, it worked out. It deploys from right behind the cockpit.

Reactions: TAV31 and Gaimcock
Those SR22's are awesome. If I ever had the inkling to get a pilots license and my own plane - I'm buying the one with the f-ing parachute.
If I had $800,000 that I had no plans for....I'd buy one too. I bought and sold my Cessna 150 for $17,000. 15 years ago
With you being a pilot, I take it that you might can elaborate on that "plane parachute".

I've never seen nor heard of such, so is it correct to assume that a parachute attached to the tail of a plane is just for such a "quick stop" as occurred on Lake Murray??
It's a great feature to have. If you can afford it. There are some companies now offering retrofit chutes for standard aircraft. They are designed to attach near the wings since the wings provide the lift and support the load of the plane. The plane still must be configured for slow flight before deployment of the chute. There is talk in the flying community that they are being overused in non emergency situations. I've had to dead stick land one once. I didn't need a parachute. But I would have felt a little more at ease with the option. But like I said the systems are pricey

I’m buying a Maule that does not have a parachute but can land in about 900 feet. Shorter if you use the tree assisted breaking system (joke). Remember, you can land in places that you may not be able to take off again. Sorry to hear about the crash. For a Cirrus, you have to deploy it above a 1,000 feet. Both people in the airplane got to shore and are ok. The flight was from Greenville to Charleston.

Reactions: TAV31
Dad had a 172XP. He sold it about 15 years ago when he had some health problems that prevented him from renewing his medical card. It killed him to get rid of it. He and my mom flew quite frequently. He had a parachute, my mom. ;) She never got her license, but she did solo so she at least knew how to land it if needed.

The flight was from Greenville to Charleston.
I imagine those folks sincerely appreciate the making of Lake Murray back in 1930!

Call it an extended benefit of the New Deal back during the great depression!

I always wanted to be a pilot back during my younger days, even after I made it through college. Things just never fell into place so to speak. Though on several occasions an old client of mine out if Savannah would have me picked up at the local airport and fly me to different locations for preconstruction site surveys.

During a few different flights, the pilot would let me sit up front in the copilots seat, AFTER we took off - and then of course I had to move to the back before we landed! Pretty awesome experience(s) though!

I'm sowing a bunch of feathers together, covering them with wax, and jumping off the top of something really high. I sure hope this works. Look up, my fellow Gamecocks, I might be soring above your house one day.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT